Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ivor Callely, Junior Transport Minister

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

so why now? and why for this, there is definitely someone out to get him, possibly his own colleagues?

Bring it out on budget day. It looks as a "dirty tricks" campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I was listening to it on the news. Quite funny berties comments of "I don't know where they are". You would think you would have to ring in sick or something in that job?

kbannon wrote:
    his [mutton dressed as mutton] wife

Judging someone by their partner's appearance is a new low in the snide and petty stakes. But, if you think it's fair, by all means post a photo of your own better half on here and let us make judgements about you...

And of course I wonder did you apply the 'partner's looks' test to the 'excellent'
    kbannon wrote:
    Emmet Stagg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Slightly suprised at that comment too...

Mike.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Judging someone by their partner's appearance is a new low in the snide and petty stakes. But, if you think it's fair, by all means post a photo of your own better half on here and let us make judgements about you...

And of course I wonder did you apply the 'partner's looks' test to the 'excellent'
    fair comment & I withdraw the remark.

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote:
    fair comment & I withdraw the remark.

No problem. You are big enough to admit the error anyway.

I could understand an invoice for £1500 disappearing or remaining unpaid in a busy office.
    A fuss over £1500 14 years ago seems to be a bit of barrell scraping if that is all that has been found on callally.
    I'd imagine we could find £1500 worth of gifts given to a lot of T.D's if the search was hard enough.

I could understand if it was 15K-but 1500?

Seems like a storm in a tea cup.

My cynicism in these matters extends to me thinking that Bertie might get rid of Callally on account of this(though I think its unwarranted on its own) to calm the noises ahead of an election but that they (FF) will get busy digging as it shouldnt be that hard to find a scandal bigger than £1500.

Kenny making such a fuss over this in the Dáil might end up being a mistake, if some hidden chickens of his own party come home to roost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah now, if they get away with 1500 worth then why not get away with 150,000 of corruption? The broken window theory holds true in all spheres of life.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Well someone is definitely out to get him this week, wonder if he has to look outside his party for this?
    And Bertie is dissappointed.....long walk off short plank methinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

How much was 1500K worth 14 years ago compared to today's values???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Heinrich wrote:
    It wasn't 1500k, it was 1.5k (IR£). I also think this aspect of the rolling "Ivor is a muppet" story is a bit iffy. Find me 10 TDs that haven't received AT LEAST this much before and I'd be very surprised. It wasn't even a lot of money 10 years ago to be honest. I still think Ivor's a total gobsh!te who only thinks about re-election and nowt else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Charles Darwin

I heard Bertie on the 1 O'Clock news saying that he had tried to speak to IC last night and again at 6:30 this morning, to no avail.

Does anyone know if Ivor is still at large?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

Does anyone know if Ivor is still at large?

Classic!

M.I.A.

Maybe he's on one of those US rendition flights bound for eastern europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

homeOwner wrote:
    Classic!

M.I.A.

Maybe he's on one of those US rendition flights bound for eastern europe.

I love the way 'rendition' and 'insurgents' has become accepted everyday speak .... nice sugarcoated words I never heard of, until George W Bush taught me:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

From the DCU website (http://www.dcu.ie/alumni/winter02/news.html)-

nursing4bs.jpg

Note the name of the main contractor and the logo on the high-viz vest.

Hmmmmm........
    Pwned???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

more fianna fail cronyism
    according to rte ivor the engine wont be arriving at the cabinet table station for very much longer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

more fianna fail cronyism
    according to rte ivor the engine wont be arriving at the cabinet table station for very much longer
    Cycling home tonight, the newly 'constructed' cycle lanes in his constituency were under water, like him..... I was wondering: where did the information come from? Has he an enemy somewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

It looks like they'll have a good bit of shaking to get rid of Ivor by the looks of things he's not going without a fight. He had the makings of a good Fianna Failer and everything he was up to every knack in the book by the looks of it. Fianna Fail.. the cling-on party.

mike65 wrote:
    Ah now, if they get away with 1500 worth then why not get away with 150,000 of corruption? The broken window theory holds true in all spheres of life.

Mike.
    Well I'd imagine whoever dug this one up, probably had a good delve around while they were at it and if this is all they could find,I'd not be worried.

Curtains for Callally though-Berties too conscious of the need to keep child care payments in the news besides this.

I'm expecting chickens to roost in FG soon though.
    The beavers are probably busy as we type digging the dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Rovi wrote:
    From the DCU website (http://www.dcu.ie/alumni/winter02/news.html)-

nursing4bs.jpg

Note the name of the main contractor and the logo on the high-viz vest.

Hmmmmm........
    Pwned???

LOL!!!
    Great find! :v:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Cronus333

If we were any other country he would resign, but we are just not that honest now are we? I'm suprised the cabinat hasn't sacked him yet....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Earthman wrote:
    Well I'd imagine whoever dug this one up, probably had a good delve around while they were at it and if this is all they could find,I'd not be worried.
    Given the damage to Dublin staff morale caused by the 'decentralisation' wheez, you'd never know where the next landmine will go off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I was wondering: where did the information come from? Has he an enemy somewhere?
    Judging by the staff turnover in his office, I would say under every stone, behind every tree, around every corner...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Just read on the main page of the Irish Times site that Ivor is expected to be pushed tomorrow, if he hasn't already jumped. Ah well! Can't say I'll be shedding any tears. What's come out in the last few days has certainly been no accident, all this negative publicity has certainly got someone at FF HQ on the case to dig, with the blessing of higher powers, and they'll get their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Heinrich wrote:
    It depends on how you measure it. A 4-bed house in Malahide was IR£57,000, now worth EUR350,000, a nearly five-fold increase.

Assuming the house was fully painted, I don't think you'd get much change from EUR10,000 today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

whiskeyman wrote:
    LOL!!!
    Great find! :v:
    Much as I'd like to take the credit, I heard it mentioned on Five Seven Live (RTE Radio 1) this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/1208/callelyi.html

Swinging that axe there boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

So what's the story here? Are there other forces at work? It seems that a Junior Minister can have so much bad news in such a short space of time!

Given that SF have spoken of running Mary Lou in this constituency (or is it Berties?) are the moving Ivor aside to make way for a female candidate? Perhaps Deirdre Heney

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Eh...they took away his cabinet post, not his Dail seat. Only we can do that (unless he resigns that too, but since he's said he hopes he'll be Taoiseach someday I doubt it).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

BrianD wrote:
    So what's the story here? Are there other forces at work? It seems that a Junior Minister can have so much bad news in such a short space of time!

Given that SF have spoken of running Mary Lou in this constituency (or is it Berties?) are the moving Ivor aside to make way for a female candidate? Perhaps Deirdre Heney
    I reckon that there are many out there who would knife him but I suspect that a lot of the recent stuff has been from within the dept.

As for the constituency (see link below), it is not the same as Berties, and possibly soon to be Mary Lou's. Deirdre Heney had tried to get into this area but I think Ivor opposed her. I may be wrong though. I reckon Ivor will not be put forward by FF in the next general election and she will.
    www.ivorcallely.ie/gifs/dnc.gif

Advertisement