Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ivor Callely, Junior Transport Minister

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Actually, there is an interesting article in todays Irish Times on his holiday home in Co. Cork and the planning applications he has submitted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

BTW what is his back ground? What did he do prior to politics?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I thought the PD's where supposed to be making sure that people Like Mr. Callely (people who get work done on their house for free) out of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

Background here:

Pharmaceutical representative.
    Apollo engineering / Eurokabin
    Inspired by CJ Haughey
    Youngest chairman of Eastern Health Board.

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2002/07/21/story260942628.asp

BrianD wrote:
    BTW what is his back ground? What did he do prior to politics?

ifconfig wrote:
    Inspired by CJ Haughey
    ROFL :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

You can read more about Eurokabin within this archived
    issue of the Irish Emigrant :

https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9806&L=irishlaw&P=3173

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Does 'pharma rep' mean 'pharma sales rep'? If so then no wonder he's a twat. No offence to any sales reps here but 90% of the ones I've ever met are all talk and no walk.

Now, I hope that he's been pushed out because Bertie is afraid of the electorate being sick of corruption in politics and not because he fears that SF might take the seat. If he's been booted out because Bertie doesn't want anymore sleeze stories then it's a good day because it finally sends the message to politicians at all ranks that if they act in a corrupt manner and it comes out later that they will be gonners, just like politicians in the UK would expect. The stuff about Callely offering his assistant a car would have been an instant resignation in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

murphaph wrote:
    No offence to any sales reps here but 90% of the ones I've ever met are all talk and no walk.

Describes 95% of politicians...
    A coincidence? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

Elmo wrote:
    I thought the PD's where supposed to be making sure that people Like Mr. Callely (people who get work done on their house for free) out of power.
    Tom Parlon is a PD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

the guy must be completely stupid to not realise that it was entirely inappropriate to offer somebody a car to counter their resignation. I'm glad that he's had the cop-on to resign...however whats the chances of seeing him in the next election a la Michael Lowry (how oh how did he get re-elected???)

• Advertisement

Tom Parlon is a PD

Is no party safe, not even the "Holier then art thou" ones.
    a la Michael Lowry (how oh how did he get re-elected???)

Lets face it if FF put Charlie Haughey up for the next election he would win his constituency by a land slide.
    The stuff about Callely offering his assistant a car would have been an instant resignation in the UK.

Thats a load of bollix. The UK have got so many MP's that the public don't know or don't care about who give who a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Elmo wrote:
    Lets face it if FF put Charlie Haughey up for the next election he would win his constituency by a land slide.
    thats my point. people have such a bad opinion of politicians that even the ones who have been proven to be corrupt are re-elected when all the "fuss" has blown over. Why do people do that?
    I can just imagine Ivor Callely running for re-election, in the hope that it has all been forgotten about

I can just imagine Ivor Callely running for re-election, in the hope that it has all been forgotten about

People Remember but they are secretly saying to themselves.

"Those ****ers in Dublin won't tell us what to ****ing do"

(Quote taken from the Re-elect Micheal Lowry Campaign 2002)

Dubliner's would say for the Re-elect the best ever Taoiseach Campaign

"That Bogger Albert Renolds won't tell us who to ****in vote for"

Parlon is a Dubliner?

Also how many Ministers of State do the PD's have?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Elmo wrote:
    [that a junior minister in the British Government would be forced to resign is] a load of bollix. The UK have got so many MP's that the public don't know or don't care about who give who a car.
    I don't know how you can think that. The opposition for a start is far more effective in UK poitics at making stuff stick and making sure dodgy stuff is very well publicised. You honestly think Tony Blair would have allowed a junior minister in his government to remain a junior minister if it emerged that he/she had offered a civil servant a car to stay in his job? No way-Blair would have made the guy fall on his sword right away to avoid further embarrassment to the Labour party and the government. We've seen ministers and even regular MPs resign for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

kbannon wrote:
    Actually, there is an interesting article in todays Irish Times on his holiday home in Co. Cork and the planning applications he has submitted.

That whole episode is of more concern than the fact that he offered a civil servent an inducement to stay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

That whole episode is of more concern than the fact that he offered a civil servent an inducement to stay

That and the house painting.

TDs will have to be extra nice to civil servents and make sure that they get bills for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,969 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

murphaph wrote:
    You honestly think Tony Blair would have allowed a junior minister in his government to remain a junior minister if it emerged that he/she had offered a civil servant a car to stay in his job?
    <nit-pick> The guy offered a car wasn't a civil servant, but a political appointee / constituency hack. Still pretty bizarre though, except in The Crazy World of Ivor Callely :)
    His private secretary who 'resigned' (i.e. reassigned to other work in the Department of Transport) was a civil servant though.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

I don't know how you can think that. The opposition for a start is far more effective in UK poitics at making stuff stick and making sure dodgy stuff is very well publicised. You honestly think Tony Blair would have allowed a junior minister in his government to remain a junior minister if it emerged that he/she had offered a civil servant a car to stay in his job? No way-Blair would have made the guy fall on his sword right away to avoid further embarrassment to the Labour party and the government. We've seen ministers and even regular MPs resign for less.

Who is The UK's commissioner in the EU emmmm? mmmme>?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

ninja900 wrote:
    <nit-pick> The guy offered a car wasn't a civil servant, but a political appointee / constituency hack.
    Where was the car going to come from: a pal in the Motor Industry?

Where was the car going to come from: a pal in the Motor Industry?
    He claimed that he was going to pay for it himself but we'll never know now. Thankfully!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

He could well afford it!
    Interesting piece in the paper this morning, Ivor owns a property empire worth €6.5m. This includes 9 rental properties with an income of €140k pa of which only ONE has been declared in his Dail statement of interests!
    Wonder will he be going to jail as the punishment for failure to declare this is at least 3 yrs in prison.
    Also how could he afford these since they were all bought in the 90's on his TD/minister salary plus his wife is a hairdresser, these houses are in wealthy areas of dublin.
    Plus the properties are not registered with the Private Residental Tenancies Board
    I smell a tribunal :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Thomond Pk

The incomplete cycle lanes running past his own office come to mind.

Is the caravan still blocking the footpath in Marino on Saturday mornings or has he kissed and made up with a Publican after McDowells climbdown on pub de-regulation?

He is gone a week now. Shouldn't he remove his former departmental details and email addy [ivorcallely@transport.ie] from his website [www.ivorcallely.ie].
    In fact, should he really have used it on his personal site? Surely he could have used info@ivorcallely.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Brerrabbit

hmm.. I'm not the engines biggest fan but does anyone else find it a bit galling when Bertie stands up in the dail and says he is "not impressed" that IC had his house painted for free, considering we haven't got a clue what kind of pies our corrupt git of a taoiseach has his mitts in (also, as other posters have said, 1500 pounds is small change in the pressies for favours exchange party that's been going on for yonks).

That being said Calley was always a bit of a gombeen, I just think if theres going to be a big hunt down the corrupt session pre general elaction, worthier more brazen targets could be selected.

On a side note the scale of corruption in our strange island is really quite, quite mad. If you step back and think for a second it's quite depressing really :(

On a side note the scale of corruption in our strange island is really quite, quite mad. If you step back and think for a second it's quite depressing really

We aren't the worst. It will always happen with people who are given too much power for too long. Temptation isn't far from the PD's and FF. IMO time to let them chill for five years. or maybe just two.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

I have never met Ivor. Some friends of mine have had dealings with him in the past. They have nothing nice to say about him and in fact they feel that he is now getting his just deserts for the way he has tried to treat people down the years.

What is the saying, be nice to people on the way up etc....

He got his money from his wifes family. Her father was a pharmicist and it was his house that they are now living in. She is a hairdresser with her own salon.

Paddyo

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I wonder what the situation on breach of state copyright(?) is, based on the proliferation of harp and DoT logos on the site.

I decided to ask the Department the following:-
    Does the owner of the site, www.ivorcallely.ie, have written permission to use the Department of Transport Logo?
    Does this same site owner have written permission to use the Harp symbol (as far as you may be aware)?
    Does the owner have written permission to use a Department of Transport email address? Is the email address ivorcallely@transport.ie active and who recieves email delivered to this address?
    Does the site owner have written permission to use the address (and associated phone and fax numbers) [Department Office, Department of Transport, Office of the Minister of State, 25 Clare Street, Dublin 2] as a contact address?
    I'll let you know what is replied!

Advertisement