Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screeching gas boiler

Options
  • 01-12-2005 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

My gas boiler has suddenly started screeching. Doesn't happen constantly but enough to annoy me and also slightly worry me.

Bord Gais dont have a serviceman until the New Year, though I did try to book before this became a real issue so I might try them again and tell them it's urgent.

Any ideas what this could be, and whether I need worry ? Need heating at the moment with a baby in the house, but don't want it on if it's potentially dangerous.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

It could be the fan? Anyhoos you say in your post they don't have a serviceman - did you ask for a service or repair - repairs get priority!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

its more than likely the internal fan. the bearings go and the fan goes out of balance. a new fan for my Netaheat Profile was E 120 and it took me about half an hour to fit it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

I asked for a service since I was due one anyway, but it's started making this racket since I made that call. I'll call tomorrow and tell them I need them sooner.

I'm no expert, but it doesn't sound like a fan - I've heard the fan spinning when the system goes off before, and the fan sounds small. You can hear this noise echo and vibrate around the house through the system. Would a broken fan make a huge amount of noise like this does ?

It's more of a deep screech than a shrill one if you get me ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

m_stan wrote:
    I'm no expert, but it doesn't sound like a fan - I've heard the fan spinning when the system goes off before, and the fan sounds small. You can hear this noise echo and vibrate around the house through the system. Would a broken fan make a huge amount of noise like this does ?

It's more of a deep screech than a shrill one if you get me ...

Are you sure that it is in the boiler ?
    The bearing in the water circulating pump can make a sound like this if it is worn.
    Have you ever heard it when the boiler is not firing. ?
    Jim.

Not sure no. But the sound comes from where the boiler is. Not sure if thats where the pump would be too ?

Funny thing I just noticed - just after the noise, the rad in my bathroom 'bubbles'. When I bleed this rad, there is a small amount of air in there.

Co-incidence maybe ?

Just dunno. Maybe the gas man can sort it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi m-stan,

Sounds like it could be air trapped in the pump, make sure when you call Bord Gais to tell them about the problem some of their service men only work on the boilers and not the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

The pump is usually close to the boiler.
    There could be lots of answers, i am afraid.:confused:
    One scenario could be that the pump is on the flow, not the return, and is sucking in air from the safety valve - this causes the pump to screech and slow down. Then the pump gets going again and pushes the air into the rad - bubbles. Or a leak at the pump itself, sucking in air which has worn the bearing, causing it to screech.
    I'm not up on gas boilers, so it could be something in the boiler. Hopefully the service guy will have the answer. A service engineer, usually from years of experience, can often find the problem very quickly.
    Jim.

thanks all.

My main concern here was safety and whether I could run the boiler with this going on. From the possible list of problems here it seems like I probably can continue to run it, while hurrying the service guys ass up !

I'll call Bord Gais in the morning to see if they can come out sooner.

thanks again.

Advertisement