Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

sound over to final cut pro.

• 01-12-2005 11:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭

I have to port some historical speeches from a pc to a mac. to use in final cut pro

now 3 of them are mp3 (i think)

but the fourth is is real audio media.

Is the best route to convert them all to audio cd files and burn a cd (if so how hard is it to convert real media.) or would it be better to put them on a memory stick.

Whats the best way to convert real media to a usable format.

quality is not the highest issue, crackling noise is welcomed as they are speeches from the 1940's.

also it is near impossible for me to find the same speech in any other format.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    I have to port some historical speeches from a pc to a mac. to use in final cut pro

now 3 of them are mp3 (i think)

but the fourth is is real audio media.

Is the best route to convert them all to audio cd files and burn a cd (if so how hard is it to convert real media.) or would it be better to put them on a memory stick.

quality is not the highest issue, crackling noise is welcomed as they are speeches from the 1940's.

also it is near impossible for me to find the same speech in any other format.

What PC software are you using? The ideal format is OMF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

ughhh whatever free ones you can point me to...

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    ughhh whatever free ones you can point me to...

Avid free can import MPG to export as OMF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

cheers will grab that, and it can fit on a memory stick or cd right?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 maxplanar

BlitzKrieg wrote:

Burn them to a CD and import them as AIFF's. You cannot import OMF into FCP, it's an Avid-only format. Open Media Framework my brown eye.

Of course, you could also do the MPG thing that'll work fine. But the best bet is to get it into AIF.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I second that. Bring them off a CD into Final Cut and then export them as AIF files. Make sure the rate matches your project settings.

FCP can output OMF files though. Can it not import them?

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    cheers will grab that, and it can fit on a memory stick or cd right?

One of those how long is a piece of string things isn't it?

All depends on your project size. OMF is by it's nature a complex and large file size, so if it's anything more than half an hour it'll not fit on a CD.

I second that. Bring them off a CD into Final Cut and then export them as AIF files. Make sure the rate matches your project settings.

FCP can output OMF files though. Can it not import them?

Nope it can import OMFI, with a big BUT.

If for example you're cutting on FCP but want to finish on symphony or vice versa or whathave you, OMF makes the most sense to export everything. However there are hiccups along the way, from tape numbers not coming through to t/c not coming through it's a barrel of laughs.

I'd advise anyone seriously into video editing to pick up,

http://www.automaticduck.com/

For the saniest way of moving a project from one system to another.

RTE promos armed all their producers with FCP and G4 laptops last christmas to rough cut all their promos and just assumed that the workflow would smoothly move from FCP to Avid for the finish. It didn't.

That was a fun week. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Freelancer wrote:
    http://www.automaticduck.com/

For the saniest way of moving a project from one system to another.

I've heard good things about Automatic Duck alright. Must get me a copy soon. For audio though OMFs from FCP seem to be easy enough to manage. Probably cause you're just bringing them into Protools though.

I was considering moving from FCP to Avid Symphony for a project recently but was warned off. We didn't have the money in the end anyway so it didn't matter - had to grade on FCP.

I've heard good things about Automatic Duck alright. Must get me a copy soon. For audio though OMFs from FCP seem to be easy enough to manage. Probably cause you're just bringing them into Protools though.

I was considering moving from FCP to Avid Symphony for a project recently but was warned off. We didn't have the money in the end anyway so it didn't matter - had to grade on FCP.

See with Audio for a protools you're laughing cause you just embed your media wack it on a hardrive or CD if it's short. With video it's a tad tricky and automatic duck is the man when dancing between each piece of software.

• Advertisement
Advertisement