Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sore back from basketball

Options
  • 02-12-2005 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the right forum here, basketball isnt anyway (i think).
    Mods can move where it should be

Basically i started playing basketball in college again, been a few years, and as much as i enjoy it im finding out how un-fit i am (thats for a different thread).
    Most of the training i can get trough fine but usually about 2/3 into it i start to get a really sore back.
    Always on the left hand side, about half way between my sholder blade and hip.
    Just wondering does anyone else get this, what do you do about it? What could cause it btw? Me being very unfit?

Jozi

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Sounds like a 'stitch' to me. Pop over to the sports forum and find out what people are doing to stretch properly and warm-up. If you think it could be something else, just check with you GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Gil_Dub wrote:
    Sounds like a 'stitch' to me. Pop over to the sports forum and find out what people are doing to stretch properly and warm-up. If you think it could be something else, just check with you GP.
    Whats a stitch?
    And where's the sports forum? Can a mod move this over.
    I dont know what it could be, im lost thinking about it. Never had any problems with my back before.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Moved from PI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭hardwoodhero

It sounds like a stitch more commonly known as a cramp.

It is due to you being unfit. When your muscles are being used they produce a waste product called lactic acid. If your unfit / training hard your body isnt used to dealing with this. The lactic acid builds up and vola you get a cramp. Continue training and as your fitness improves so will the cramps.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

It sounds like a stitch more commonly known as a cramp.

It is due to you being unfit. When your muscles are being used they produce a waste product called lactic acid. If your unfit / training hard your body isnt used to dealing with this. The lactic acid builds up and vola you get a cramp. Continue training and as your fitness improves so will the cramps.

is it from being unfit? i thought it was cause by eating before exercise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

First thing to say is go to a good doctor or physio, don't take any advice from online people who aren't qualified and can't diagnose!

Before you play are you doing any kind of a warmup and stretching? If you're just arriving at the gym and start playing immediately then you could be in for some hurt. I have a history of sprained ankles to show for it.

It could be something unrelated to basketball that only gets sore when you go through some strenuous activity. If you work at a PC and don't have a good comfortable chair it can put strain on your back and the activity of a basketball game can bring that out.

I had a bit of back trouble a while ago and went to a physio and he was able to identify several different injuries in my back. If you're in the Wicklow area pm me for his number, he's pretty good.

So basically go to a physio! Your back is too important to ignore something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I always do some stretching before training, althou i'm not 100% sure if i do enough or do them right.

I was thinking i may have been related to using the PC :( pretty much the only activity i had for the last while since i got lazy.

I'm in dublin during the week (college) cavan some weekends. Dont really know where to go look for Physio or what to expect there.
    How much do they cost being my main concern really.

I'll talk to one of the girls from the girls team, she tore some ligaments recently in her ankle and im pretty sure she went to a physio.
    Also going to try the college doctor during the week.

Is it more than likely related to me being un-fit than back problems do you think.

As a side note, its at the side of my back (very left) below my shoulder blade

Advertisement