Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How safe is my MySQL database from being hacked?

Options
  • 02-12-2005 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Im just recovering from a minor hemorage. I just got an email with a virus attached to it (no big deal) but then i began to pooh my pants. For a few minutes i thought something had hacked into my database and sent this email to everyone who was stored in my database (my details are stored in the database too so i htought thats how i got the mail). The email was fairly convincing so i thought i was going to have to ring everyone in the database to warn them about it.

The email was as follows and was sent to my address 'advertise@irishpokeronline.com' :
    Dear user advertise, 

You have successfully updated the password of your Irishpokeronline account.

If you did not authorize this change or if you need assistance with your account, please contact Irishpokeronline customer service at: support@irishpokeronline.com

Thank you for using Irishpokeronline! 
    The Irishpokeronline Support Team 

+++ Attachment: No Virus (Clean) 
    +++ Irishpokeronline Antivirus - www.irishpokeronline.com

It was also sent from my domain (support@irishpokeronline.com).

Thankfully, after a few reads through it i realized that it hadnt got into my database at all. It had just picked up my email address from the website itself.

It has got me thinking though, how safe is the data that i store in my databases????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

It is a virus. You may see other virus laden e-mails from support@ or noreply@.

MySQL data is only as secure as the server it is on, and even then there are other ways in. If you are paranoid about it, you can run MySQL without network access. Net access to MySQL is based on host/IP access. It is not foolproof though. I think that MySQL also has me encryption options. If the data is valuable then it potentially is a target. Otherwise the threatlist will be mainly scriptkiddiez.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement