Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stone Roses ...

• 02-12-2005 1:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭

Here is a debate I have quite regulary with a number of mates ... specially after a few scoops.

Which is the better album?

1. The Stone Roses
    2. The Second Coming

I know which one I think is better. I have a couple of quid on this so I'm not giving my opinion.

I don't know how to put it to a poll so I'd appreciate it if one of the mods did for me.

Cheers ...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭furryvision

i dont know how you can even compare. the stone roses is an absolute classic, one of the best albums of all time. so fresh and original at the time, every instrument and ian brown sounding amazing. the second coming is a few good songs destroyed by too many zepplin influenced squire solos. the band themselves often say that the 2 cant be compared. even the early b side album "turns to stone" pisses all over the second coming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

sideFX wrote:
    Here is a debate I have quite regulary with a number of mates

How is it possible to debate this? Second Coming being the inferior album is as close to a Law as is possible in music (given varying tastes).

From Something Awful:
    [The Second Coming is]... the most comically miserable failure of all time. Jesus, think about how much hope was tacked on to those guys. It's almost like John Squire somehow took all that hope, ran it through some kind of drug lab and produced something 10 times stronger than cocaine, then snorted it all and created the most disappointing sophomore record in the history of the world, quit the band, and faded happily into obscurity.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 cheap sheep

I like Second Coming.

I know its not as good as the debut, but you can say that about so many bands. At least second coming has a few decent songs, like Love Spreads and Breaking into Heaven, but it doesnt work as well as an album compared to the debut.

i heard the second coming first, about4years ago, thought it and the first album were both excellent, but couldnt be compared cause it sounded like too completely different bands, as song writers and musicians they sound completely different.

But now a few years on, i reckon the debut is far better than the second coming, which is most of the time a self indulgent mess apart from about 4 or 5 songs.

Some people reckon that it was the lack of input from ian brown that caused it to be ****, which isnt exactly true as the worst song on the album (in my opinion) "straight to the man" was the only song completely written by him

Historically it coudl easily be the most dissapointing second album ever, mainly because of the 5year wait

at the same time though begging you, love spreads and break into heaven are excellent tunes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

The debut's better by a mile. I Wanna Be Adored - best opening track to an album of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭December Son

Dont forget 10 storey love song. One of the better songs on that album.
    Aside from that, theres no comparison. I remember reading for some track on second coming squire layed down something ridiculous like 40 overdubs on one song, if that isnt overdoing it i dont know what is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Debut album I prefer, but I still like the second coming. It's all been said before though, 4-5 quality tunes and some masturbatory noodling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭buzzerbuckley

This is a No Brainer.

Like Comparing Ian Rush to Cisse :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭sideFX

I Wanna Be Adored - best opening track to an album of all time.

I agree 100%. I have to say I'm a Second Coming fan as well, mainly cause of Love Spreads, 10 Story Love song and a couple of others.

I just like the way the 2 are completley diff. They're the only greatest hits i bought. I resent buying greatest hits cause i normally have all the albums but the chance of having Love Spreads, I wanna be adored, I am the ressurection an all on one CD was too good to turn my nose up at.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

The Stone Roses is definitely the better album. I still like the Second Coming, but the other is better imo. Its a toughie though coz they're both great albums

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

No contest, no debate, the first album is legendary, the second album is bad. Even the complilations are way better the Second Coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

That first album introduced me to the world of music....its just so dam powerful. Like most of you its still the first album ill put on be it mp3, car, home...all these years and i still will never tire of the first album.

Second coming for me at the time was like a hot bag of ****e:p I remember been so dam disappointed, I just couldn't believe what i was hearing, But over the years it has grown on me and i probably only really like 4 songs of it.

As people have said you just cant compare!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭micromegas

The Stone Roses, without question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Seymour

Both fantastic albums in my opinion. It took me a lot longer to like the second coming. I think "Your star will shine" is a classic acoustic style song, one of my favourite Roses tunes. Tightrope and love spreads also classic tunes.

However "The stone roses" IS the best album of all time. When i die and go to heaven thats the soundtrack they'll be playing for me.

No contest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

I agree both are great albums but "The Stone Roses" is much much more... more than better or the best... its an Icon..., a definitive album of an era etc... therefore you can not really compare the two...

-A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭the real ramon

The first album saved my life. I was 16, being mercilessly bullied in school which had ostracised me from everyone. My parents were arguing 24/7, my father had gotten involved with some fundamentalist Christian crowd and had turned into a tyrant. There didn't seem like there was light at the end of the tunnel. Then I saw them on Top of the Pops. I thought wow! Bought the album that weekend and spent the next two years listening to it as much as I could. I couldn't believe music could be so good. Actually I could. I was thinking : "I knew there was such a thing as good music, but it just doesn't get played on the radio". I painted my bag like the cover of the album, and was one of the first people in my school to get into them. That gave me a bit of cred, and people started talking to me again and it just sooooo lifted my spirits.

The second album was a complete let down. A couple of good songs, but...

No Comparison!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

The two of them are in my top 10 albums of all time but the debut just shades it. If Squire hadnt gone so mad with his solo's then ive no doubt that TSC would be just as highly rated as the debut.

The Stone Roses is still the first album i put on when i come into work in the mornings, just gets me in a good happy mood. Everyone around me has started to like them now due to me drilling it into them.

In saying that though, i do rate MOTS by Ian Brown above both Roses albums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

The Stone Roses is an all time classic album, the Second Coming isn't, but its still a good album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭toffo

Tough choice, both very good albums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

micromegas wrote:
    The Stone Roses, without question.

agreed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

As a long time Roses fan, i have to agree that TCSR is the better album. Second COming is extremely underrated. Some absolute gems on it: Love Spreads, Tightrope, Ten Storey Love Song, How Do You Sleep.

TCSR is just unbelievably good though. Every song on it is fantastic with the exception of Full Fathom Five and one or two others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Seymour

your talking about a compilation album dude, TCSR is a bsides and best of compilation. The debate is about "The stone roses" their first album versus second coming. We are Comparing the 2 studio albums they made, forget about compilations.

Sorry to be harsh just being technical about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Like em both.

Advertisement