Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nightmares??

• 02-12-2005 1:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭

It's really strange because Im not sure weather I am asleep or awake when it happens. I'll explain the first time it ever happened to me, not sure whether it will make sense to anyone...

... ok I was woken up by a banging noise in the middle of the night! I was really scared and was trying to figure out what it was. Then I realised that it was my leg hitting off the radiator next to my bed, my whole body was numb but it was shaking uncontrollably. I couldn't stop myself from shaking, then I realised I was biting my tongue and I tried to stop but couldn't. At the same time I could hear this loud buzzing noise in my head. I was so frightenned I tried to scream out for help but my voice wouldn't work. I just lay there trying to calm myself down and all of a sudden it just went away and I was fine! I was still really scared so I ran to my brother's room next to mine and woke him up, I stayed in the spare bed in his room for the rest of the night and i slept ok.

The next morning I told my dad what had happened, he laughed and convinced me I must have been dreaming!

The thing is that it keeps happening to me, the same thing over and over maybe 3 or 4 nights of the week one week and then it could stop for a week or two and then start again. I have got so used to it now that when it happens I know whats coming next, the numbness, the biting the tongue, the buzzing noise... I have even taught myself how to make it end quicker! To this day I am still convinced that I am awake when this is happening but anyone I have told thinks that it is just a really life like dream!

Does anyone have something similar happen to them? Or does anyone know what this could be if it's not a dream? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DrummerBoy

I've had the buzzing noise along with the totally numb, complete with the inability to shout out. Buzzing noise was painfully loud, sounded a little like the noise a tv makes when it's not tuned in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

it could be sleep paralysis
    http://www.stanford.edu/~dement/paralysis.html

ive heard it happens to a good few people, but it never happens to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

I would recommend practicing lucid dreaming. By the sounds of it you are part of the way there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Try searching for "night terrors" and "sleep disorders". Its quite possibly your mind is awake but you body is still asleep.

If it persists have a chat with your GP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Atrocity

Victor wrote:
    Try searching for "night terrors" and "sleep disorders". Its quite possibly your mind is awake but you body is still asleep.

I had those back when i was on certain medication. It was horrible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Fenian

I used to experience something quite similar. Waking up in an extreme state of terror. When it happened, I'd get up , drink a glass of water, sit down and turn on the telly. For me the feeling usually passed within 15 to 20 minutes.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I get that "sleep paralysis" thingy and it is a killer... Its very distressing, Iv had it since childhood... One night I got it and I swear to god I felt like someone was lying on top of me and I was alone in my room, about 17 yrs old.. It seemed to go on for hours and it felt like someone was in the room with me.. Maybe I should take that one to Paranormal actually ?? :confused:

A few of my friends (not me) have been known to go ott on pills on hols in Ibiza and the likes and they have complained of horrific nightmears in the weeks after their sessions... apparently the drop in seratonin in the brain causes a form of depression that causes the nightmears... Something to think about if your into that sort of thing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

This used to happen to me a lot. One time I went to the bathroom in the middle of the night, all of a sudden someone's banging to get it like screaming and trying to break down the door. I completely lost it ran out the door and tried to jump down the stairs (long story short my dad caught me). I was half-asleep / half-awake at the time.

Try drinking lots of water and try not eating a couple of hours before bed. Whenever I wake now in the middle of the night I pinch myself just to make sure! Also really explain it to your parents, so they understand fully what's going on.

Try drinking lots of water and try not eating a couple of hours before bed.

Yeah and NEVER under any circumstances eat cheese before bed :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

i have often eaten chesse and not gotten nightmares....i think that depends on the person.

but back to the problem at hand......i often wake up (when you are awake but not really) thinking someone is in my room......one time i rolled over to my bf and told him to be quite and pointed at the bed beside me (where there was no one) and told him that someone was there......i also sometimes turn on the light to talk to the "person" who is actually my wall. it is more common then people think.

are you sick at the moment? i was really sick a few years ago and my nightmares were so bad i was afraid to go to sleep. i would wake up shaking and terrified - i would turn on the light for ten minutes just to make sure i was alone. as strange as this sounds with my nightmares (which was in a house with different things in each room - witches, goblins, a vampire etc - odd i know) i confronted each of the issues/ scary things in turn and spoke to them and in the end they went away

when you wake up have you actually been biting your tongue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Yeah, i've had sleep paralysis twice, a few months ago. You should read up on it on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis interesting stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭*Oul_Doll_Cork*

mp3guy wrote:
    Yeah, i've had sleep paralysis twice, a few months ago. You should read up on it on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis interesting stuff

Wow.... I am definatly beginning to think it is this sleep paralysis thing. It is so acurate! Thats really interesting thanks guys!
    bp wrote:
    are you sick at the moment? i was really sick a few years ago and my nightmares were so bad i was afraid to go to sleep. i would wake up shaking and terrified - i would turn on the light for ten minutes just to make sure i was alone. as strange as this sounds with my nightmares (which was in a house with different things in each room - witches, goblins, a vampire etc - odd i know) i confronted each of the issues/ scary things in turn and spoke to them and in the end they went away

Its been happening now for about a year and a half so I don't think being sick has anything to do with it. I know what your saying though I always have bad dreams when I am sick too, the thing is that this isn't much like a nightmare where as there are no witches and goblins or anything!

Thanks guys for being so helpful! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭sideFX

xzanti wrote:
    Yeah and NEVER under any circumstances eat cheese before bed :eek:

That's so true. I got slightly addicted to eating cheese before i went to bed in the hope I'd get a nightmare, just for the sheer buzz of it. It was a mad time for me.
    I noticed someone else posted something about pills.
    Your episodes you are having at night are very similiar to the ones I had when I was in the pill munching phase. In fact not only at night was I having similiar episodes but it began happening during the day, they were like epoleptic fits. Just collapsing in the middle of the street.
    Scary scary time.
    Of course I was afriad to go the doc or tell me folks cause of what I was up to but they soon stopped.
    I'm not for one minute saying you are but if you're up to anything mildly similiar I'd stop straight away and go to the doc to be on safe side. Could be any number of reasons but to get your peace of mind I'd see your doc.
    Hope it clears up .. and not meaning to sound like a smart arse but ... sweet dreams :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

i have nightmares every so often, soetimes im trying to scream but cant..i talk in my sleep regularly, ive been told i have full blown conversations with imaginary people, my dreams/nightmares can go off on the strangest tangents where i start in one place, with random people i know, and find myself in a completely different situation, its a bit hard to explain really

Well if I eat cheese before bed I am guaranteed a long night of terrors :o Milk seems to have the same effect actually, just too heavy I suppose..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Chavster

Yeh i get that every now and again as well. I wake up unable to move or speak and it feels like someone is actually pinning me down to the bed by my shoulders.

Adding a healthy dose of terror and a crazy looking (hallucinatory) dude who stands in the corner makes for an interesting night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

It's really strange because Im not sure weather I am asleep or awake when it happens. I'll explain the first time it ever happened to me, not sure whether it will make sense to anyone...

... ok I was woken up by a banging noise in the middle of the night! I was really scared and was trying to figure out what it was. Then I realised that it was my leg hitting off the radiator next to my bed, my whole body was numb but it was shaking uncontrollably. I couldn't stop myself from shaking, then I realised I was biting my tongue and I tried to stop but couldn't. At the same time I could hear this loud buzzing noise in my head. I was so frightenned I tried to scream out for help but my voice wouldn't work. I just lay there trying to calm myself down and all of a sudden it just went away and I was fine! I was still really scared so I ran to my brother's room next to mine and woke him up, I stayed in the spare bed in his room for the rest of the night and i slept ok.

The next morning I told my dad what had happened, he laughed and convinced me I must have been dreaming!

The thing is that it keeps happening to me, the same thing over and over maybe 3 or 4 nights of the week one week and then it could stop for a week or two and then start again. I have got so used to it now that when it happens I know whats coming next, the numbness, the biting the tongue, the buzzing noise... I have even taught myself how to make it end quicker! To this day I am still convinced that I am awake when this is happening but anyone I have told thinks that it is just a really life like dream!

Does anyone have something similar happen to them? Or does anyone know what this could be if it's not a dream? :confused:

Jesus, I don't know what that is, but it sounds terrifying! Seriously, how do you cope????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭StandnDeliver

my partner wakes up every few nights ,offen 5 times in one night ,spluttering convinced hes swallowed keys or screws ,something is stuck in his throat,and he is choking.After 30 seconds pass he realises he hasnt he gets mad at himself.this has been happing over 2years now,i find it worrying.i tryed to look up stuff similar to it but found only one article.it sounds simmilar to the sleep choking syndrome.has anyone every had this happen to them or a friend if so is there any known cure?

Advertisement