Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus new BB Products - 3m/1.5m/0.5m

• 02-12-2005 1:50am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is an educated guess but I believe Chorus will have new cable BB products coming soon.

How did I guess this?

Well if you go to the Chorus website, then go to Internet and then to Products, you will see the following headers:

Why | Easy | Classic | Plus | Terms

now currently these links don't work, but it is interesting to note that Chorus is now owned by UPC, if you look at the other UPC websites across euorpe, you will see that they tend to have 3 BB products called Chello Easy, Chello Classic and Chello Plus.

For instance www.upcfrance.com has:
    chello light 1m/128k = €25
    chello classic 4m/512k = €30
    chello plus 10m/512k = €35

It is also interesting to note, that NTL:Ireland (also owned by UPC) 3m/300k service has now gone up to 10m/512k, so perhaps they are going to copy the UPC france speeds also, it would be great if they copied the prices also :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

It'd be great if they also copied the coverage ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

if chorus join ntl and offer these speeds then Eircom, UTV, ESAT etc will be so far behind it wont even be funny anymore, we will never catch up with those sorts of speeds. I can already picture NTL/UPC users having 20 or 30mb in about 2 years from now maybe even less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

The Chorus products are up. 3 meg, 1.5 meg and 512 k. The 3 meg only has an 8 gb cap? :rolleyes: They nearly had it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Dont worry about that as they will be forced to increase those speeds soon enough after the 2 cable companies are merged in the near future!!!

Within a year Im sure that current Chorus customers will be enjoying 10M like their current NTL counterparts and the rest of UPC Europe!!!

The prices are the same as the "equivolent" NTL packages, I'm surprised they didn't just match them. The caps are a bit low though. I posted 8 gb above but when I went back it was 10! I don't know if I can't read or if it was changed. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

paulm17781 wrote:
    The Chorus products are up. 3 meg, 1.5 meg and 512 k. The 3 meg only has an 8 gb cap? :rolleyes: They nearly had it right.

They look like place holders, probably until the new NTL speeds become official, it is now:

Cablenet Broadband Easy 512k/128k - 8GB cap - €25
    Cablenet Broadband Classic 1.5m/384k - 20GB cap - €35
    Cablenet Broadband Plus 3m/512k - 30GB cap - €45

If you get this with another Chorus product then you get a reduction for the first four months:
    €19.95 €29.95 €39.95

The price tiers are almost exactly the same as NTL:Ireland, so it looks like UPC is getting ready to merge the two companies, they have always said that they would offer the same price and products across the merged companies. great news for people in Chorus areas like Cork.

However they will need to up the speeds, what with Eircom going to 2m and 3m for the residential products in the new year, these Chorus speeds won't look so great then.

I just spotted that on the pricing page. On each packages page it says 10 gb, must have been a copy and paste. The 3 meg has 512 k up :eek:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It is official press release here:
    http://www.chorus.ie/pdf/New%20broadband%20suite%20Final.pdf

I think Chorus are silly to launch with these speeds, they are only going to be left behind again in January when Eircom ups their speeds. Don't Chorus read these boards and see what is coming.

sigh... mistakes in the Press release. :rolleyes:
    Chorus has also boosted the upstream speeds from 254k to 384k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Chorus have been taken over? Maybe that will mean Limerick will finally get some sort of digital cable! We've been waiting at least 5 years now...

• Advertisement

Chorus have been taken over? Maybe that will mean Limerick will finally get some sort of digital cable! We've been waiting at least 5 years now...

Chorus is now owned by the Liberty Group, since about January. The Liberty Group is one of the biggest cable companies in Europe, they normally brand the service as UPC.

The Liberty Group is also about to finalise the purchase of NTL:Ireland, when they do everyone expects them to merge Chorus and NTL and to rebrand them as UPC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Limerick does have digital cable.

I have it. I have had it for the past year or more, I had digital MMDS for the 3 years before that.

Have you checked with them lately?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

i am guessing that someone did a copy and paste job on the website, all the caps are wrong.

This package sounds good, if they ever bring it into limerick, also they never enforced the caps on powernet, so mabey they might do the same with this.

Cablenet Broadband Plus
    Price
    €39.95**(Normally €45)
    Downstream :3072Kbps
    Upstream: 512Kbps
    Download limit: 30GB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Jumpy wrote:
    Limerick does have digital cable.

I have it. I have had it for the past year or more, I had digital MMDS for the 3 years before that.

Have you checked with them lately?
    You serious? What part of the city are you in? They certainly haven't told us about it - either that or they don't make it clear wether they're talking about digital cable or MMDS any of the time they advertise stuff...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Chorus used to have Wireless Broad band before Eircom even offered aDSL.

They had Wireless Phone line that was 1/2 the price of Eircom.

They could have done Digital MMDS and Digital Cable before Sky went Digital in UK.

A company of missed opertunities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I presume as usual this will only be available in large urban areas (the main cities)?

Or have there been any plans to broaden it out to any cabled area that has Chorus?

Having dealt with Chorus over the past several years I would have a negative confidence level in them (not even little to no confidence). I expect they will screw this all up somehow as usual. Perhaps the takeover might improve them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

WHAT?? Are they not required to do so by ComReg?:mad: Have a look at this:
    http://www.ntl.ie/athome/dtv/go_digital_pack/go_digital_pack_wat_gal.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I have been with chorus since March.

Originaly the line was 512/128 @ €30/month because I use their tv package.

the line was upgraded during the summer to 1MB/256
    Got a letter last week stating that the line would be upgraded again.

Now I'm on 1.5MB/256 for the same price.

To get the 3MB line it is an extra €10/month. Don't think I will bother. Current speed is enough for me right now. Don't d/l a huge amount each month.

I'm happy enough with Chorus. Had some problems at the start, lost connection now and again for a few weeks but now things are fine.

Advertisement