Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three most important things that cyclists want

Options
  • 02-12-2005 3:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭

I'm doing a little research, what a the three most important things you want out of the government as a cyclist, e.g. improved traffic enforcement, safe junction crossings for cyclists, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 keeto

Victor...

1. Driver awareness as a mandantory provision for ''claiming'' a license...thru a course to provide a general understanding of what a cyclist is[ie. ''soft'', like a peach...easy to bruise] and how to deal/cope with their inadvertant stupidity, properly...

2. More, much more important...CYCLIST awareness...

cars are not to be FUKED with...ie. I have seen some outrageous, insane 'manoeuveres', bordering on culpable ignorance, by so-called cyclists. A starter/introductory COURSE on street-riding, [highlighting ...moving correctly in traffic etc.]

3.Mandatory licensing for COPS ON BIKES, not to mention a proper introduction as to how to cycle in traffic/anywhere else, for that matter...these guys/gals supposedly set example for the rest of us...hah, that's a joke and not a very funny one...have seen some very bad cycling by these ''idiots''. They should also take a COURSE in how to show the rest of us how to do it correctly.

The theme, here to me is, integration...
    '' Share the Road ''
    '' No Body owns it ''.

After all, it could be the difference between life and death...!
    HTH...
    Cheerio for now and the best to you
    Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Bicycle safety training for schoolkids
    Better road surfaces
    Free carriage of bicycles on rail services

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

skateparks
    dirt trails
    downhill tracks

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

Victor wrote:
    I'm doing a little research, what a the three most important things you want out of the government as a cyclist, e.g. improved traffic enforcement, safe junction crossings for cyclists, etc.

1) elimination of the mandatory use rule
    2) enforcement of existing rules of the road. Including illegal parking.
    3) elimination of off-road "cycle tracks" and "shared use" facilities
    edit: Shared-Use referring to shared cycle path/footpath

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

1. Tax breaks for cycling commuters and legislation that obliges employers to provide facilities (showers, changing rooms, secure lock-in)

2. Equality with other road users

3. Right to roam

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Since most accidents happen at junctions (60%-80%) changes like

An advanced stop line so cyclists are allowed to stop in front of cars and thus be visible.

Where cycle lanes are parallel to the road and they cross a side road a change in the priority. At present a cyclist on the main road has right of way over the side road. If the cyclist is on the cycle lane then they have to yield to the side road. This should be changed so the cycle lane is still seen as part of the main road. eg: Where the cycle lane cuts side road within 10 - 15m of the main road the side road should yield to the cycle lane !

Otherwise the cyclist would probably be safer staying on the main road AND faster since getting back to cruising speed after stopping to yield to a motorist on the side road takes the same energy as about 300m travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭markpb

An advanced stop line so cyclists are allowed to stop in front of cars and thus be visible.

These exist already... you'll find them by looking underneath taxis - usually the same ones that roll all while the light is red.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

Not really cyclist specific.

Enforcement

The laws we currently have should be enforced. Examples include motorists speeding, drink driving, parking; cyclists breaking red lights, cycling without lights, cycling on footpaths; builders spillages, reinstatement's; etc.

Education

There is an ignorance of the law, personal responsibility's and the requirements of other road users. The Rules of the Road needs to be rewritten and expanded to cover motorists, cyclists and pedestrians law, responsibility's and requirements. Education about the road should start at a very early age and continue regularly until death (hopefully not on the road).

Integration

Lack of integration only leads to the increased ignorance of road users, the roads are for all road users. Every location is accessible to every other location by the road network, modal integration is required unless we are going to build an equally complex network for the other modes.

Sometime model segregation is useful but only when they are designed, constructed, maintained and use/run to the highest possible standards, examples include motorways, bus lanes, cycle lanes, cycleways and footpaths. They should also represent a real benefit to the effected users and area without significantly compromising other road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

For me, commuting daily in Dublin, it's all about attitude.
    A pro-cycling attitude by people in general ala Netherlands would solve a lot of problems. Cycle lanes would no longer be thrown down to make statistics look good. Motorists would no longer accelerate madly to pass a cyclist only to jam on the brakes at the next jam etc. etc.
    This is probably about education, but the Government needs to take the lead, see links:

Transport for London offering up to £1000 for facilities + trade price bikes:
    http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-centre/press-releases/press-releases-content.asp?prID=604

If motortists understood that every cyclist is one less car, ie less congestion, maybe they would be more positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

1) To be treated like real road users: ie. proper cycle lanes, give cyclists priority over left turning vehicles

2) Integration with public transport, free carraige for bikes on trains and busses where space is available to do so

3) Pro-cycling attitude - ie. better facities for cyclists and the promotion of cycling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Victor wrote:

1: Repeal modifications made to the cycle lanes laws by the PD/FF coalition. In 1998, they changed the the rules so that cars could drive & park in cycle lanes.

2: External audit of the DTO and Dublin City Council to to determine the extent to which taxpayers funds intended for cycle facilities were spent on sub-standard work or diverted to other use.

3: Abolition of Dublin City Council.

Victor, it's all very well asking for proper facilities, but both the government and the city council have demonstrated for the past 10 years that they will find ways to subvert any scheme intended to benefit cyclists. Anything I've seen is just a cynical exercise in 'visuals'.

The most recent project, along the Howth Road, in the constituency of the Junior Minister for Transport is no different from all the other shambolic work done by the City Council. It's pointless dealing with that body.

We need to change the system first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

1. Tax breaks for cycling commuters and legislation that obliges employers to provide facilities (showers, changing rooms, secure lock-in)
    Hear, Hear.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

RainyDay wrote:
    Hear, Hear.

I couldn't agree more, if the goverment is going to get serious about the enviroment and trying to sort traffic then they need to encourage people to do so, this is certainly a way that would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

The Government, and employers, should realise that cyclists are probably going to be healthier, fitter and taking less sick days than the employees that drive. Small investments for decent gains.

I'm lucky that every place I've worked at has had showers and a bike shelter (all American software companies).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

3 items does not cover what is needed

Cyclist education

Driver education

Rate drivers & cyclists

No one wants to touch this because of adminid=satration costs.

As a nation we love our lack of self discipline too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭tie_mi_shu

markpb wrote:
    These exist already... you'll find them by looking underneath taxis - usually the same ones that roll all while the light is red.
    lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

my dad wrote:
    1. Properly designed cycle lanes that are maintained and regularly cleaned.
    2. lowest VAT rate on bicycles and bicycle parts to encourage commuters.
    3. waymarked road & off road trails throughout the country to encourage tourists.

I'd have my own top 3 if I were to think about it for a bit ....

Advertisement