Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you worried about brain damage?

Options
  • 02-12-2005 4:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭

Parkinsons, Alziemers, and general brain damage have all been conclusively linked to boxing. Are you guys not worried?...or are you already brain-dead:D Sorry only messing. It is a serious topic and I think you should be worried

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Every fighter knows the risk , that's why no matter how **** a fighter in the ring is I have respect for them .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

every one knows what they getting into

At least we have lived, faced our own fear, got in the ring and done it... For all these highs there has to be some lows...

also as far as i know theres no definite proof, that parkinsons is linked to boxing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Parkinsons linked to boxing???

Amateur boxing is an extreemly samfe and well governed sport.

I feel safer in the ring than I would on a hurling rugby field or on a horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭PJG

efb wrote:
    Parkinsons linked to boxing???

Amateur boxing is an extreemly samfe and well governed sport.

I feel safer in the ring than I would on a hurling rugby field or on a horse.
    Yeah I'd agree on that boxed for 4 years (9-13) when I was younger packed it in due to pressure from my mother. Played rugby for about 13 years packed it in due to reoccurring injures. I have been training and competing at kickboxing for the last 5.

Played open side wing forward in my rugby days and I had to have countless stitches in my head, had reconstructive surgery on my cheek bone, shoulder strains etc etc. Bar the odd bloody nose and split lip kickboxing (amateur) is safer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭samb

I know that amateur boxing is safe in the short term but I think if you have a genetic tendacy for alziemers then it is likely to affect you at a much younger age if you box. In a few years children will probably be able to get thier DNA tested, if they have two copies of the particular gene then they should not box, everyone else can then box and not have to worry about it. then you would actually know the risks involved. At present, I just hope you guys don't have the two copies of that gene. I read about this in Genome by Matt Ridley.

• Advertisement
Advertisement