Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed on response from mangement company re: not paying fees

Options
  • 02-12-2005 9:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi Everyone,

Just looking for people's opinion on the responce our chairperson got from our management company regarding fees not been paid.

He started talking about the outstanding insurance payment again, and it did worry me. He said that if it's not paid soon our insurance will be void and he will be sending letters to the residents in a few days notifying them of this, he also said he'll have to notify any lending institutions as it will affect mortgages and credit ratings.......... now he might have been saying it just to scare me into paying, and if so he achieved his aim. My cheque will be in the post tonight, I just don't want to risk not being covered by insurance, and if something were to happen, and he had notified us in advance surely those people who hadn't paid on time would be leaving themselves open to some sort of claim from the people who did pay?? I'm not disputing the fact that there are issues with the charges and the breakdown we received, but I'm just going to pay and then if the charges are changed, take credit towards next years.
    Sorry for caving and giving in, but he got to me...........

Above is just a small sample of the email, let me know your toughts,

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

I really think people misunderstand their relationship whith their management company. They aren't just a company that provide services they are also responsible for the whole building. It is more like the government than like service company. They have a duty to make everybody pay and provide services plus cover for vital things. If your neighbour doesn't pay the management company have to pursue them and this costs money. The more money spent the more it costs those actually paying and/or the more debt the company gets into. By not paying your fees you only hurt yourself and neigbours.
    If enough people are not paying the company can't afford the insurance. THis means if the place burns down you have nothing . If somebody hurt themselves on the grounds you as a group may become liable without any insurance. The electricity in the halls could be turned off.
    There are a few appartment blocks around Dublin that are uninsured at the moment. It doesn't matter if you paid and your neighbour hasn't if there is not enough money the whole place isn't insured. AFAIK the management company will pay their own fees before your insurnace.
    You can't sell your place if the debit is outstanding.
    SImply put you are in a rock and a hard place. THe way to sort out your fees is not non-payment but replacement of your management company. THe wrong approach is to withold money as it can get no results and only hurts you.
    I have no management companies or the like but I am pretty aware of these companies and how they work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

Its not very clear from your post (is this a follow up post to something you posted before?) but I am assuming that there is some dispute between the management agency and the residents of your apartment block regarding the fees.

The residents need to pay some sort of fee to cover things like insurance, refuse collection, sinking fund etc....so presumably you are not complaining about having to pay, just the amount?

Disputes with the management company ultimately effect only the residents. You can't sell an apartment if you are not up to date with the fees. If there is not adaquet insurance cover and someone has an accident all the owners are responsible etc....

If you are disputing the amount to be paid - have you asked to see a copy of the accounts to see where the money is being spent? If it comes down to it, get the committee to sack them for next year and get a new crowd in to manage?

Advertisement