Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News Server when using Digiweb?

• 02-12-2005 9:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭

I got Digiweb Metro in Limerick yesterday and figured out:
    My SMTP access via my proxy server to EIrcom
    POP access to eircom
    Web browsing on my lan via the proxy.

BUT The Eircom news server refuses access and unlike SMTP I can't "log on" to authenticate (My mail server can authenticate SMTP so mail still works).

Does digiweb have a news server or do I have to find a scary open one on net someplace to map my proxy server to?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭kmurph

If it's just a text-only server, the best one out there is http://news.individual.net/

Used to be free and known as News.CIS.DFN.DE but now costs €10 a year. Used to use it when it was free and it was excellent and could be used from anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yes only interested in text and no interest in Binarys.

But it has to be free :-)

Is there any way to logon to Eircom one like you do with smtp?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Anything that asks for a name /password doesn't work even when I HAVE the name/password. I'm usling a fixed TCP port map on Wingate firewall / proxy for 119 (News). This approach does work with SMTP, allowing may mail server to send mail using eircom's smtp. My mail server uses my Eircom pop account settings to validate smtp.

How do I do this on news? Is Thunderbird the problem? I checked the server properties of "must log on".

Also some pay / signup free accounts not only use an account name and passwrod but assume a static IP, which Digiweb is not going to give. I have seen my system getting 2 different IP addresses in 1 day.

Advertisement