Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance company

Options
  • 02-12-2005 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi all:) ,

I am cosindering change a bigger car recently. But, many insurance companies do not quote me for 2L car, because I am a provisional license holder with non-NCB. So do any of you know which company would insure 25 year old provisional license holder for big cars?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm afraid most will not and my guess is that if any did they would quote you silly money.

Motor Insurance in Ireland is very expensive and a provisional licensed driver with no NCB will probably need to stick to 1.3 or less until you have passed your driving test, built up your NCB and are over 30 years of age.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

they did have a deal going where pretty much any car was €1230, but if you have a prang you are responsible for the first 4k of it!

TBH, you are pi$$ing against the proverbial breeze without a "full" licence.

write yourself a letter stating that you are self emplyed and need a licence for your business, send it to the testing authority and follow up with a phonecall. You should get a date within 2-3 weeks.

After that, really the only option you have is with hibernian where you can drive up to 1.6L if you do their ignition course. Thats about as good as you can expect here unless you want to be fleeced for insurance.

you could also take an advanced driving course: http://www.irishadvancedmotorists.ie/

^ only certain insurance companies pay any attention to this, despite the fact that drivers who pass the exam are statisically 70%Tless likely to have an accident, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I'd be pretty nervous about a provisional licence holder driving a 2 litre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

yeah, I'd much rather be run over by a 1.3. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

hmmm wrote:

A friend of mine in the US is 16 and can drive his parent's Corvette!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭leonliang

hmmm wrote:

I believe that many provisional licence holders have better driving skills than some full licence holders.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

leonliang wrote:
    I believe that many provisional licence holders have better driving skills than some full licence holders.
    I've no doubt they do, but until such time as they prove this by passing their test I'd prefer if they stuck to driving something which is less likely to see them killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

leonliang wrote:

I'm not one of them ..keep braking distance between us!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement