Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

stolen car - audi tt

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

they did try again ballooba

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Ayashii

They found it! :D

Garda in Clondalkin just called - they found it in underground carpark.
    He says no visible outside damage - will know later today when drop car keys down.

Never thought I'd get this back !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Glad to hear you got it back, that's great news and i'm sure a great weight off your shoulders. Did they give you any more details?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Glad to hear! Similar happened to a mate of mine. They found his A4 in a car park in Blanchardstown 2 weeks after it was stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Ayashii wrote:

He says no visible outside damage - will know later today when drop car keys down.

That's great news! I would imagine they were leaving it there for a couple of days to see if there was any tracking unit on it.

• Advertisement

They need the spare keys later today so that they can fingerprint the car.
    Will need locks etc changed (expensive) though as keys still missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

excellent news, i personally would have fitted it with a tracker, and left it in the underground car park and they would have caught the bastards when they came back for it, stupid garda...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

does anyone have a site to get the tracker fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Extremly lucky Ayashii!
    Well pleased for you. What's with all these HP cars being stolen and showing up in underground carparks? Surly it's the work of the same gang?

Maybe not so stupid Garda realise that not so stupid criminals already know that they have found the car and fitting a tracker now would be a waste of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

i doubt criminals have realised, how can we stop these losers if we dont even try to! i say fit a tracker and a hidden cctv and wait for 2-3 weeks, to see what happens. they would have probably led the car to the gangs base, and no doubt there MANY other stolen cars. the gardai are nuts in my opinion. one of these days someone might be killed haven confronted the thiefs. i think the gardai should put every resource into catching them, usually it will lead to a drug ring also, as the proceeds of car thefts are used to finance drugs like coke etc. all alot of the gardai do is drain a hundred grand a year out of the exchequer, when are we going to see some value for that money and convictions? i dont see what the problem is in catching the thiefs. they havent left the car there for the good of their health.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,408 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Glad they found your car :)
    lomb wrote:
    i say fit a tracker and a hidden cctv and wait for 2-3 weeks, to see what happens. they would have probably led the car to the gangs base, and no doubt there MANY other stolen cars

Agree. Not only to solve other car thefts and prosecute the criminals, but also to get more knowledge of their modus operandi

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Great news that the car was found.

RE: Gardai.
    How do we know that they haven't put a tracker on other cars and followed the gangs? Maybe they are currently doing this and gathering as much info as possible before they crack down. You can't assume they are doing nothing...

In fairness the guards told me that they had spotted the car on Sunday night (apparently) and have been watching it since. Nobody came back to car so they towed it to station this morning.

Dont know how they were actually watching it though - would be funny to think that the guys would come back during one of the times that they guards werent actually there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Big Nelly wrote:
    As far as I know it aint too cheap to trace a mobile phone like you mention they did in the UK. Heard about this and it is a few times they have done this in UK.

O2 used to offer this as a commercial service here in Ireland.
    It was called locator, and was accurate to within about 50m.

If you wanted to see where someone was they were sent a text by O2 asking them to approve you to see their location, and after that you could pay 10c and you'd be shown their approx location on a map (from the website), or sent a text with the approx location to the nearest intersection (if you used your phone).

it was pretty accurate in Dublin anyways; we looked into it a little in college when it was active, and as far as we could see it was hooked pretty well into O2s backend infrastructure. When you requested a person's location, that person's phone re-synched with the base station(s) giving O2 a nice set of points for triangulation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

That must be such a relief, I'm glad for you!

I pretty much guarantee you that within 20 minutes of the gardai finding that car that a professional criminal would know about it. Whether from a member of the force, from a look out watching the car or from friends who live/work in the complex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

thats great news you got it back. i think you should get a tracker on the car or something for extra saftey.it might be expensive but its worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Ayashii wrote:

Did they mention in what carpark it was found?
    My friends mams car was taken recently and left in an underground in clondalkin,Garda have recovered a few cars from the same lot already...

Is the reason they leave these cars unattended in places to see if they have a tracker? Presumably they would be back a week later, when they are sure the car hasn't a tracker...

• Advertisement

ronoc wrote:
    Is the reason they leave these cars unattended in places to see if they have a tracker? Presumably they would be back a week later, when they are sure the car hasn't a tracker...

Yeah, I think that's the thinking behind it - if the car hasn't been found within a week or so, they can then assume there is no tracker and take it to their "HQ".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Ayashii wrote:
    They found it!
    Delighted for you - what a relief!

@others - the Gardai find the car and you complain how they are not doing their job? There's no pleasing some people...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Igy wrote:
    O2 used to offer this as a commercial service here in Ireland.
    It was called locator, and was accurate to within about 50m.

A similar application was developed by a software company based in Ireland back at the turn of the century, the technology is there and the implementation is simple, the only issue is that SMS is an unreliable protocol.
    From 2001: Using the new product, AePONA has already developed a portfolio of applications including, Close Friends, a location-based application which is currently in commercial trials with a major European mobile network. It enables subscribers to create a personal list of friends (cars) on the same network using the Internet or WAP-based interface. When they want to find out if any of these friends (cars) are close by, they execute the application. If their friends (car) happen to be in the neighbourhood, the user will be sent an SMS by the operator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Bluetonic wrote:
    A similar application was developed by a software company based in Ireland back at the turn of the century, the technology is there and the implementation is simple, the only issue is that SMS is an unreliable protocol.

That and the fact that all the thieves would have to do is turn on the radio and listen for the telltale 'bup-bada-bup-bada-bup' sound that tells you a mobile is in the car.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Ernie Ball wrote:
    That and the fact that all the thieves would have to do is turn on the radio and listen for the telltale 'bup-bada-bup-bada-bup' sound that tells you a mobile is in the car.:)

The receiving device can still be in the car without interfering with any other frequencies in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

That and the fact that all the thieves would have to do is turn on the radio and listen for the telltale 'bup-bada-bup-bada-bup' sound that tells you a mobile is in the car

..............except that that doesn't happen in all cars, just thoise without sheilded electronics. It doesn't happen in either of mine, but does in others I've been in !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

The cars are usually left in car parks and quiet housing estates to see if there is a tracker(you can get a tracker for a bicycle for about €60 i cyclogical on Batchalors walk, D1).
    Some are stolen to order and others arechopped for here an abroad. Some of these cars are stored for a few days in advance of a robbery, usually 2 or 3 of them.
    The old Volvo 850 T5 estate been especially favoured by gangs robbing houses. All the gang and loot in the back and still very fast.
    My dad had a Lancia Delta Intergrale Stolen within a week of getting it. Was used to rob handbags and such off people. 2/3 guys would run thru a crowd grabiing what they could and then dive into the boot of the car(seats down !) and not be seen again.
    Saab tried to offer a security system that put about 950volts(i think) thru the drivers seat if some code was put in wrong. some problems and never offered to the public. PITY...
    If you are going to keep your keys in your room, maybe have that panic buttom set to use! me, I would leave the keys downstairs, in the timelocked safe! Would hate to see my lancia go but whats it worth? My family/friends?

Did they get a set of your house keys, a second car? what did they take from your house. Dont answer to here but check for yourself.
    Good luck and get a deadswitch installed- bit different from a immobiliser. Try Steelguard(I think)
    good luck.
    edit...where the cars are left, they are been watched. Most of these guys are not rookies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Most of the (highly organised) gangs/people who commit this sort of thing do not want a confrontation of any sort as it vastly increaes the risk of getting caught or injured. The fact they went to/go to the trouble of removing windows pretty much indicates they want to slip in and out as quickly as possible with little fuss.

These are generally professional criminals with a given purpose, not smacked out opportunists who will appear waving knives - I'm not saying there are not a few that would take things further to get what they want, but most will move on to the next pre-defined targets, perhaps taking any valuables that are around.

3 people I know of with a variety of good motors (Evo VII, M3, Range Rover) have had similar crimes attempted, and two out of the three distrurbed them (1 direct confrontation) and they scarpered. The third had the keys in the bedroom and just lost some bits and bobs from the downstairs of the house.

There is always this though:

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=12615

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Ayashii wrote:

Wonderfull news. Great to see someone getting a bit of luck after their car being robbed. Folks, i know this isnt relevent. but it seems to be Door sensors are not worth a toss. PIR motion detectors the only way to go and set them in zones when you go to bed from bedroom, if thats possible. these scum bags that enter our homes are sewer rats...

• Advertisement

tred wrote:
    Wonderfull news. Great to see someone getting a bit of luck after their car being robbed. Folks, i know this isnt relevent. but it seems to be Door sensors are not worth a toss. PIR motion detectors the only way to go and set them in zones when you go to bed from bedroom, if thats possible. these scum bags that enter our homes are sewer rats...

The magnetic sensors aren't much use, as you just have to remove the pane of glass. Internal motion sensors aren't too practical for obvious reasons. Inertia (?) sensors are the way to go as they would probably pick up the vibrations of a window being removed or tinkered with.

Advertisement