Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teeth Ruined by Bulimia

• 02-12-2005 11:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I was lucky enough to be born with a perfect straight set of teeth and I began throwing up to loose weight when I was about 17, Im 23 now and In the recovery process.. Thank god I didnt do much long term damage to myself but my teeth will never be the same again... I have been to the dentist (she knows that I was bulimic btw) and had fillings etc and she assured me that my teeth where fine but I know by looking at them that they arent.

If I put a small mirror into my mouth I can see that there is no enamel left on them, and they dont fit together like they used to.. I have a very big gap/overbite which I didnt have before..

Im just wondering has anyone else had a problem like this and if they were ever able to repair the damage??? and did anyone end up losing teeth because of this???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There was a thread on this a few months back, and I hope that people can offer you advice on this. It's a common problem for bulimics and alcoholics from what I understand.

Your dentist is the best person to offer advice here. If you're not convinced with her opinion, seek a second opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

I've lost a bit of enamel on my teeth from drinking too much coke when i was younger. The dentist referred me to an orthodontist. You should go see one. You might be able to get veneers which cover the teeth. Maybe you could get crowns either. Anyway I think an orthodontist will be more qualified to offer you advice than a dentist. It'll be expensive though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

Orthodontist,

They're work can be quite scary at times but it's worth it in the end.

Just be careful not to become obssessed over it.

And i know it's not really the same but I've destroyed my skin by sun worshipping and destroyed my teeth with coke so i kinda know what it's like... sort of :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭meow

I've suffered with Anorexia/Bulimia for 11 yrs now and have had a few dental problems. When I was 19 yrs old, 5 teeth were extracted, they were in a pretty appalling condition.:(

Thankfully, I don't engage in bulimic behaviours very often now but am not completely free other behaviours.

Its good you've been truthful with your dentist, some ppl are very afraid of the reaction they may recieve.

I don't know of anything to reverse the damage, but the obvious answer to prevent any further is to stop- easier said than done, I know!!

I'm a member of a recovery board you might want to check out, it can be very helpful. You can post your concerns, get advise (not medical) and give & recieve support. Try http://www.somethingfishy.org

There's a few of us Irish members lurking around there.

Good luck in your recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

meow wrote:
    I've suffered with Anorexia/Bulimia for 11 yrs now and have had a few dental problems. When I was 19 yrs old, 5 teeth were extracted, they were in a pretty appalling condition.:(

Thankfully, I don't engage in bulimic behaviours very often now but am not completely free other behaviours.

Its good you've been truthful with your dentist, some ppl are very afraid of the reaction they may recieve.

I don't know of anything to reverse the damage, but the obvious answer to prevent any further is to stop- easier said than done, I know!!

I'm a member of a recovery board you might want to check out, it can be very helpful. You can post your concerns, get advise (not medical) and give & recieve support. Try http://www.somethingfishy.org

There's a few of us Irish members lurking around there.

Good luck in your recovery.[/QUOT

My councellor recommended the dentist to me, I had been seeing another dentist before her but he always seemed to feel uncomfortable working on me, he obviously could see by the lack of enamel that I was bulimic..

My teeth arent completely burned away, from the front they dont look too bad but when I put a mirror into my mouth I can see that the back of them are stripped of enamel... I'll have a look at that website.. Cheers

Good luck with your own recovery... Its a long road

• Advertisement
Advertisement