Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are living in the Country - what are you getting?

• 02-12-2005 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

I was wondering whether the people on here that don' t have regular broadband because of eircom - what are people doing instead, settling for 56k or have you went for sattelite?

Anyone?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I have ISDN using Esat BT anytime. Arm and a leg for a crap service, 180 hours a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

Maxwell wrote:
    I was wondering whether the people on here that don' t have regular broadband because of eircom - what are people doing instead, settling for 56k or have you went for sattelite?

Anyone?

(I'm in Athy, exchange not enabled.)

I'm staying on dial-up, even though it's not good enough to telework on more than an occasional basis. Latency of Satellite would be too much, and with the price of it (both installation and monthly rental) it's just not worth the money considering I'd only realistically telework twice a week. Also, there's been a wireless company (Torque, heard good and bad reports but am willing to give anyone a chance) considering setting up in Athy in a few months. I'd hate to pay for the satellite install and then find wireless available a month or two later. I'll try almost anything, but satellite just doesn't cut it. ISDN is too slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭niallb

ISDN and UTVip.

After the 180 hours is up, it gets very expensive.
    Towards the end of the month, it costs me about the
    same a day as a broadband customer pays a month.

Planning on changing to BT in the new year as I see they
    have a 260 hour product.

ISDN is fast to connect and responsive.
    I don't need a lot of bandwidth, but I do need to
    be connected most of the day.

NiallB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Digiweb satellite.

The service is fine, but cheap it ain't!

Currently investigating wireless options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

Cheers thanks for the replies

I sick of pulling my hair out with dial up, but I think I will just have to wait for a community scheme to be set up.

eircom should be fined for their appalling service

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Maxwell wrote:
    Cheers thanks for the replies

I sick of pulling my hair out with dial up, but I think I will just have to wait for a community scheme to be set up.

eircom should be fined for their appalling service

I disagree with you anti-Eircom Sentiment, they are a private company and are entitled to do what they likes. It is this government i have the chip on my shoulder for the sold Eircom in the first place, and ripped off every one with massively over priced shares after the dot com bubble had burst. I would die a happy man to see Mary O'Rourke in the gallows for the mess she created by Privatising Eircom. The Government should re-nationalise Eircom and roll out FTTH (Fibre to the home) and we'd not only have proper fast internet access but we'd also have an alternative to Sky Digital.
    I too got sick off Dial-up and have been using Skydsl 1MB one-way satellite Broadband since the end of May. It is quite cheap for the satellite side of it €16.90 a month with 1GB download allowance included and 1.5¢ for every mb over that allowance then. It is the dial-up that is the wallet killer, (you have to dial -up as part of this product) For two months September and October my dial-up bill alone was €80 add the skydsl then and it was over €115. I am investigating Eircoms FWA as it is available in my area, but is cost prohibitive, My community is also going down the County group broadband scheme and i shall have to see what fruit that bears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Isdn from eircom 150hrs a month best i can get
    dont know why our exchange hasnt been enabled were a big enough town

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

netwhizkid wrote:
    I disagree with you anti-Eircom Sentiment, they are a private company and are entitled to do what they likes.
    What kind of talk is that from a budding young Marxist?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

stuck with a 56k connection the town is broadband enabled and I'm only 2.5 miles from the exchange but I'm not able to get broadband. This sucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

are you on a carrier unit or something?

put in an order for isdn - they'll improve your line then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭shamalive

Was living in the city, but bought a house about 12 miles from Cork.

Searched and searched for anyone willing to provide a service in the area,
    these guys eventually did.

http://www.communitybroadband.org/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

dial up, i think i can get lastmile wireless but there is no way im paying that much for 512k

Fact is i almost never use it at home as a result.. as soon as eircon get their act together and enable the exchange i will get BB.

Oh and it IS eircoms fault... they have a monopoly over the exchanges and lines etc. Stop blaming the government over the share prices... how would they have known what would happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

4 miles out from town, not a hope of DSL.

So got involved with the local WAN http://www.irish-wan.com, and hey presto!
    Sharing a BB connection with one of the WAN lads in town, very handy.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

ISDN and 180 Hours UTV

Craporola, I am teleworking and transferring large files is a major pain in behind. I would really need always on and 180 h are not enough.
    Rural area about 10 miles outside Mallow, not a hope in hell for BB.
    Forget about satellite, realistically only a duplex product makes sense, costs are astronomical & very low or wishy-washy download allowances (so-called fair use policies) ...

Advertisement