Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-order Ps3

• 02-12-2005 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭

Hi, i'm an xbox owner but having looked at the different next gen options i decided i would wait for the PS3. Now that the 360 is out i think i made the right choice, its just not as impressive as i imagined it would be. I've seen some demos of Ps3 running too and it looks a genuine leap forward, not to mention it will have a blu-ray player built in...and aparantly the hard drive will be bigger and preinstalled with Linux...which is i nice (anti MS) touch.

What i'm wondering is does anybody know if shops are taking pre-orders, has anyone placed a preorder or does anyone have an opinion on the PS3 at all?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

can't pre-order anything until stores have a price... which i'd say will be announced at CES in Feb 2006

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

A price for Europe, or just a price for anywhere?

Anyway, it might be the case that some stores will informally put you down for a preorder, and then transfer you over to the formal books when a price is announced. Don't know for sure where you could do that though.

In light of the X360 stock experience, I'd recommend pre-ordering as soon as you can. There might be lots of stock on day one, but I wouldn't bet on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Sorry to go slightly off topic but I didn't think this question warranted a new thread.

Does anybody know how easy it will be to connect the ps3 to a wireless network?

Dr J wrote:
    Does anybody know how easy it will be to connect the ps3 to a wireless network?

Should be very. It supports 802.11 b and g out of the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

whats the expected release date ? summer 2006?

• Advertisement

Placebo wrote:
    whats the expected release date ? summer 2006?

In Japan, Spring. Beyond that it's anyone's guess. Maybe Summer-Autumn in the US, Autumn-Winter here. There's a rumour going around, though, that there may be a simultaneous Summer launch in Japan and the US. But I have my doubts about that now, because apparently Blu-ray is going to be launched in Spring, and I think Sony would like to have PS3 there to debut with it (in one territory at least). There's always a slight chance of a fairly simultaneous launch everywhere, between Spring and early Summer - hey, if MS can spread what'd normally be one territory's launch numbers across three territories, maybe Sony will too. It's kind of hard to tell how feasible this would be, though, because western publishers are being so quiet about PS3 work (hard to know what timeframes they're targetting).

I think we may find out, or at least get a rough estimate for Europe, at CES next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

LookingFor wrote:
    hey, if MS can spread what'd normally be one territory's launch numbers across three territories, maybe Sony will too.

Here's hoping.

However, even proportionately speaking, I think the Xbox has a lower market share in Europe than in the US. So the near same release date for Europe was probably MS trying to gain market share......

Last i heard price was going to be $500 so i guess that's going to be 500 Euros as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

xanthor wrote:
    Last i heard price was going to be $500 so i guess that's going to be 500 Euros as well.

new estimates are coming in at a far more achievable (for consumers) cost of $400. chances are sony will follow ms and do a cheaper option minus HD/Wireless etc.

i think we'll get a lot more information at CES.. it's the last major event before E3 2006 where everyone watches closely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭setanta5

I think sony have already stated that they won't be offering different versions of the machine ala MS.

They see this as confusing to the consumers. They're current spec says the system will be wireless out of the box but it will not have hard drive included.

Chances are Sony wouldn't go for a simultaneous worldwide release like MS, its not really their style. MS considers themselves a Global company. Sony looks at itself as THE japanese company..who happen to export globally.

I tried to put down a preorder in GAME in Dundrum last night and was a bit shocked when the guy working there told me they're definitly not getting them until early 2007. Maybe the "wee man behind the counter" has the inside line in Sony, and is therefore in a position to contradict what every Web and media report to date is telling us. It could also be that the gameshops have a well hyped, scarce, christmas bonanza macine in the 360 and they don't want anybody hanging on for a PS3.

I'm guessing once the Christmas rush is over they'll be keen to take money down for PS3's.

In the meantime i might try in XtraGame. Been finding them (In Tallaght) better to deal with anyway lately. To the point where the guy took out a set of PSP speakers for me to try them. Asked in Game(also in the square) and was told to look them up on the internet

Advertisement