Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to get guitar screams??

• 02-12-2005 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Was just wondering if there is a particular technique to getting guitar screams like in Pantera stuff or does it just depend on the effect your using??

Ive only ever done them by accident :)

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭telemachus

Not sure if it's what you're thinking about but you could try pinch harmonics http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_techniques/pinch_harmonics.html (squealies :p ), it took me a good while to work out how to use them reliably and they tend to vary in effectiveness at least for me depending on the guitar and amp/amp gain, it just takes some fiddling.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

hey telemachus,

unfortunately thats not what i was looking for.an example i found was in panteras - the great southern trendkill about 2 mins into it.lots of cool screamy sounds :) id love to be able to pull off

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I normally run up behind my guitar and give it a fright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

bigbadcon wrote:
    an example i found was in panteras - the great southern trendkill about 2 mins into it.lots of cool screamy sounds :)

I don't have that album to hand, do you mean a divebomb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

Hey man, if you are reffering to the section just after the second chorus they are pinch harmonics. Savage album btw :v:

• Advertisement

A divebomb using the tremolo isnt it??

Dont think thats it either cause the sounds are in the middle of riffs and are sometimes really quick

Yup its definitely a pinch harmonic, the harmonic is done with the picking hand, not with the fretting hand, it can be quickly muted with the picking hand, thats how it sounds really quick during a riff.

Beecher wrote:
    Yup its definitely a pinch harmonic, the harmonic is done with the picking hand, not with the fretting hand, it can be quickly muted with the picking hand, thats how it sounds really quick during a riff.

Sounds easy :) might look them up now that i know what their called.any good tutorials you know of?

By the way sorry telemachus you were right all along.think the link was jus talking about normal harmonics and i got conflustered.

thanks anyway

It isnt too hard but it will require a bit of practice. Try here for an online lesson/video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

John2 wrote:
    I normally run up behind my guitar and give it a fright

i just spat tea all over my monitor

rofl!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

red_ice wrote:
    i just spat tea all over my monitor

rofl!

Thank you, I was afraid that no one was going to appreciate that post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Doc_Savage

a pantera staple is divebombing a low open string then just before you release it, touching the string (maybe between the third and fourth frets) to get a harmionic and warbling it back to normal pitch with the tremolo....

getting that beeeeoWAAAAGH thing takes practice though!:)

(probably not what you're on about but it's a good trick with a floyd!:v: )

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Doc_Savage wrote:

getting that beeeeoWAAAAGH

This is quiet a funny and enlightening thread what with frightening guitars and beeeeoWAAAAGH's !

:v:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

spot on my friend!!

thats what i was trying to describe!:D :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Anyone watch the Dimebag at 16 video on that site ??!?!

Holy ****ing christ !!!!

Oh and there is also a live video of Dime playing the Floods solo.

halfway between randy rhoads and van halen!!

sweet!!!:D

Thats some cool **** alright. lessons from the man himself

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Great link there feylya. I spend the past three days getting my guitar to sound like a racing car speeding off racing up through the gears.

To the original poster: best to use the neck pickup as it picks up the harmonics more I find.

BossArky wrote:
    To the original poster: best to use the neck pickup as it picks up the harmonics more I find.

i'll say the opposite!! bridge works best for me!!

• Advertisement

Doc_Savage wrote:
    i'll say the opposite!! bridge works best for me!!

What kind of guitar are you playing?

This(see link below) on neck pickup, through an ubercube = great screams! :v:

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear/gear.php?partno=KV2_King_V

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

TBH, I think the bridge picks up harmonics better too...

Damn! I better bring my guitar back so and get a new one :mad:

BossArky wrote:
    What kind of guitar are you playing?

A Gibson Explorer....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭killswitch

u need a floyd rose neck to do any kind of pantera wails but as a substitute u could always just do artificial harmonics and bend the string like a mother****er

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

floyd rose neck

You sure about that?

Advertisement