Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dark Age of Camelot ?

• 02-12-2005 1:10pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if Dark Age of Camelot is any good guys?
    I see there is a 14 day free trial available here http://www.darkageofcamelot.com/.
    I recently got Guild Wars but have had little time to play it,i loved WOW but couldnt put in the time to justify monthly fee.
    A friend says he heard Dark age of Camelot is good and worth checking out,what do you guys reckon?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

its going to be the same deal as wow, monthly fee versus time you want to put in.

there is no easy answer. (city of villains is great so is eve)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

it all depends on what you want from a game.

How much PvP/PvE you want to do, how many items you want and so on and so forth.

DAOC is one of the best team based PvP games out there IMO. EVE is supposed to be very good HARDCORE PvP but I didn't play it that far in so I don't really know.

DAOC had the best implementation of "war" that I have seen thus far. The team based 8 man gank squads and relic raids and keep takes not to mention use of siege weaponry are all pretty cool. RvR was something unique introduced by DAOC and has never been recaptured since. You really got the feeling of being part of something greater in a war and i'm eagerly awaiting mythic's next installment, warhammer online.

WoW is probably the most balanced (best) MMORPG currently availible. The PvE content is pretty amazing and the raid instances are great fun. If endless PvE item grind is what you want, look no further. Especially starting now it will be months before you catch up with the content and by then there will be lots more and it would keep you occupied for a long time to come. The PvP while "okay" leaves a lot to be desired in it's implementation. Instanced BGs were/are a great idea but the implemention is lacking. Queues, a lack of incentive and the "honor grind" all detract from it, not to mention the PvP being largely meaningless.

There are other good MMORPG's out there as some have posted but I won't bother mentioning them since I haven't played them.. one word of warning however...

steer well clear of ANY MMO with the SoE tag. These guys are complete **** whose only objective is to screw over their customers as much as possible. They have absolutely 0 integrity (much less than your average coroporate types if that's possible), and a skill for destroying great ideas. SWG being a wonderful example. Each and every one of their games comprises a meaningless pointless endless grind and fun is not really part of their dictionary.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Thanks guys,i think ill try get into to GW for now but one major flaw with it to me is when im out questing i dont meet any other human players in the world.
    Yeah i can meet up with folk in the large towns etc but i loved wow for that very reason,i felt part of a living breathing world.
    So far GW doesnt give me this feeling,granted ive only been hopping in and out of GW for 5-6 days now.
    With WOW looking at me beside my comp im very tempted,time to really try to get into GW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Yeah ... thats one of the reasons I have taken a break from GW .. but if you get into a good guild it makes all the difference ... the problem is that if you are only starting now most people have several lev 20 and have seen it all and may not be all that interested in helping noobs .... they just want to hang out with mates killing x dragon that may have x item ....

Yeah we just started to host a Guild over @ www.gunsforfun.com providing them with TS and forums and im tempted to join in with them but so far when im playing im thinking i want WOW i want WOW.
    I almost re activated my WOW account yesterday but cant remember my details.
    Its a new machine and i cant remember account name,password or even email address i used.
    I tried every combination but still no joy,sent email off to blizzard and awaiting a reply.

• Advertisement

Dcully wrote:
    Yeah we just started to host a Guild over @ www.gunsforfun.com providing them with TS and forums and im tempted to join in with them but so far when im playing im thinking i want WOW i want WOW.
    I almost re activated my WOW account yesterday but cant remember my details.
    Its a new machine and i cant remember account name,password or even email address i used.
    I tried every combination but still no joy,sent email off to blizzard and awaiting a reply.

if you have your CD key on the original WoW box you can use that to get your account back easily :)

Yeah i have CD key and box etc.
    I sent off a support message yesterday morning with CD key and still heard nothing :(
    The more i play GW the more i miss WOW tbh.

you need to phone their customer support tomorrow when they are open, you are much more likely to get a resolution to your problem that way

Im reinstalling it now and going to create a new account and fight for the Horde for a change :)
    Im thinking also my account could be deleted its that long since i played.

your account won't be deleted :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

I've been playing Daoc at little over 3 years now, I've tried other MMropg's . but Daoc has always Stayed.

yes somtimes they mess a class up a bit , But for community and having fun with other people ( Guild) it's great =).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

I played daoc from its european beta until about a year ago. Very addictive game , amazing to play. Much better than any other mmorpg, it just cant be matched for pvp (rvr as its known on normal servers). Although when i was playing the loot system was very strange for raids. But still a great game.

Couldnt recommend it enough. If i still had a copy or remembered my passwords i'd play it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Well DCully, Memnoch pretty much said it all really [ damn you :p ] but in my opinion i would play the trial you get from the US version than the EU version... US is http://www.camelotherald.com EU is daoc.goa.com . American version is ahead on patched, but is still might have some bugs the EU version will not have by the time it gets over here, but the connection to the US version is more stable and you ain't connected through Opentransit in France... brrrrr the Opentransh*t name gives me the shivers i hate it so much.

If you do decide on joining EU though, join the Excalibur server and look up a guild called Ilfirin Arda , good few Irish people in there and v friendly guild overall.

Oh, and it's graphics are sooooo pretty if you have a stacked pc :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I've just ordered it and it's 3 expansions from play.com for 15 sterling. (I know it doesnt include the very latest expansion but still...)
    Hope it's good!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

Slurms wrote:
    I've just ordered it and it's 3 expansions from play.com for 15 sterling. (I know it doesnt include the very latest expansion but still...)
    Hope it's good!!

3 expasions .. hmmmm ..

Shrouded Isles , Trials of atlantis and Catacombes i'd guess =).

There a new one due out in the new year as well =).

Btw i Play Alb/excal , hib/pry and Mid/Glas =)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Megatron wrote:
    Btw i Play Alb/excal

Pffft... PH33R D4 Z3RG !!! :v:

Advertisement