Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you buy in 2005?

Options
  • 02-12-2005 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

Overall 2005 I thought was a rather weak year for music. With a few exceptions there wasn't much going on, was there?

O.K., we went to see a few good acts (www.concert-reviews.net) in 2005 and those are the albums/singles I bought this year:

Erasure - Nightbird (their best album in years)
    Royksopp - The Understanding (not as good as their first but still great)
    Coldplay - X and Y (it is good but it is highly overrated by the press)
    Depeche Mode - Playing the angel (a really cool album)
    Tracy Chapman - Change (Single) (really good)
    Robbie Williams - Tripping (Single) (well, not sure really)
    Him - Wings of the butterfly (Single) (sounds fresh)
    Barbra Streisand and Barry Gibb - Guilty too (a must have)
    Andy Bell - Electric Blue (His solo album has some cool tracks)

I also bought a lot of older albums like

Electric Music - Esperanto, Karl Bartos - Communication, plenty of very old Kraftwerk CDs to complete the selection, Alice Cooper Best Of, Kiss - The Elder, Kiss - Unmasked and that is all I can think of really.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Nothing.
    I havent bought a cd in about 3 years,
    Good oul internet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Devon

I felt guilty reading post #1, but not so guilty when I read post #2... that's all I'll say!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Speedway

I bought
    stereophonics - language, sex, violence, other?

anna nalick - wreck of the day

the fray - how to save a life

gemma hayes - the roads dont love you

hootie and the blowfish - looking for lucky

and loads of other ones but thats what stands out

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Probably about 200 albums all told (well a lot were promos that I didn't pay for). A lot of interesting music outside the mainstream. Highlights of my year:

The Hafler Trio and Jonsi Birgisson - Exactly As I Am
    Einstuerzende Neubauten - Grundstueck
    Dirty 3 - Cinder
    Khanate - Capture and Release
    Earth - Hex
    Sunn O))) - Black One
    Antony and the Johnsons - I Am A Bird Now
    A Hawk and a Hacksaw - Darkness at Noon
    Low - The Great Destroyer
    Coil - ...And The Ambulance Died In His Arms
    The Angels Of Light - Sing Other People
    LCD Soundsystem - LCD Soundsystem
    Larsen - Play
    Merzbow - Merzbuta
    Tactile - Bipolar Explorer

All pretty much essential in my eyes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

A bought at least 150 albums this year
    I couldnt possible list them
    as for it being a week year for music. Its about the same as the past few years. most of the time most music around is crap you have to search to find the good stuff this year is no exception

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I bought;
    Evanescence - Away from Home
    Tara Blaise - Paperback Cliché twice, damn losing it :/
    Tara Blaise - Dancing On Tables Barefoot

That be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

somewhere between 150 and 200 records...
    it's been a sweet year for Hard-NRG:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

it's been a sweet year for Hard-NRG

Sorry, you seem to have misunderstood. This forum is about music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Just 2.

Royksopp -The Understanding and Kate Bush - Ariel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

have to agree, a pretty weak year for new music. bought too many albums. best pop album i bought was "the Handler" by Har Mar Superstar. (think its actually a 2004 album)

The man is a genius...the Ron Jeremy of the music world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

bought a load so i'll only name a few gems and some i wish i didn't buy.

ben folds - songs for silverman
    death cab for cutie - plans
    bright eyes - digital ash in a digital urn
    bright eyes - i'm wide awake it's morning
    matt sharp - matt sharp
    daniel brummel - speak easy
    weezer - pinkerton (not released this year but i lost my orignal and you cannot not have this album)
    weezer - make believe (the album that's made me lose hope in Rivers and co. no more buying weezer albums anymore).
    alkaline trio - crimson (haven't really gotten into it yet.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Aina: The Metal Opera
    Beseech - Sunless Days
    Children of Bodom - Follow the Reaper
    Epica - Consign to Oblivion
    Epica - The Phantom Agony
    Epica - The Score
    Elis - Dark Clouds In A Perfect Sky
    Flowing Tears - Razorbliss
    HIM - Dark Light
    Lunatica - Fables and Dreams
    Nightwish - Highest Hopes
    Rammstein - Rosenrot
    Sirenia - An Elixir For Existence
    Sirenia - At Sixes and Sevens
    Sonata Arctica - Winterhearts Guild
    Stream of Passion - Embrace the Storm
    S.O.A.D - Mezmerise/Hypnotise
    Tristania - Ashes

magpie wrote:
    Sorry, you seem to have misunderstood. This forum is about music.
    at first, i was prepared to let you off the hook for being musically uneducated.
    i'm finding it harder to let you off the hook for being an insufferable ****wit.

I'm glad I don't live in your world where an appreciation of "Hard NRG" equates with being musically educated. Keep taking the E.

Stick to posting your Chav Choons in here

EDIT/

On topic, I got so many records its hard to remember what arrived in 2005, or what was even released this year. Things I remember listening to and liking include

LCD Soundsystem
    Brian Jonestown Massacre
    Razorlight
    Arctic Monkeys
    Tom Vek
    Keith Jarrett

I also filled out a lot of missing/lost Bowie, Punk/New Wave (Dickies, XTC, Stranglers) and checked out some more Bartok and Philip Glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Rammstein - Rosenrot
    QOTSA - Lullabies to Paralyse
    Weezer - Make Believe
    Audioslave - Out of Exile
    Alice Cooper - Dirty Diamonds
    Bloodhound Gang - Hefty Fine
    FLC - Livin' In The City
    PUSA - Love Everybody
    Mars Volta - Frances The Mute
    Electric Eel Shock - Beat Me
    The Dead 60's

Bloodhound Gang and Weezer being the worst ones!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Can't remember most of what I've bought from this year.. few of the best though would be:

Russian Futurists - Our Thickness
    Architecture In Helsinki - In Case We Die
    Sleater-Kinney - The Woods
    Scarling - Sweet Heart Dealer
    Redjetson - New General Catalogue

magpie wrote:
    I'm glad I don't live in your world where an appreciation of "Hard NRG" equates with being musically educated. Keep taking the E.

Stick to posting your Chav Choons in here
    you misunderstand (which was to be expected to be honest...)
    when i said musically uneducated, i was refering to you painting all electronica with the same "untz untz" brush.
    your post further proved my second point. i love a type of music that has a ferocious energy that just can't be found in most other types of music. but hey... i guess that makes me a pill head, then:rolleyes:

That'll be why I don't listen to Kraftwerk, Brian Eno, Aphex Twin or Tangerine Dream I suppose? :rolleyes:

But you probably don't class them as "Electronica" (which is a term only Americans use AFAIK - and you'll note I've never used it to describe anything).

EDIT/ Lol at "ferocious energy" - Bleedin' RAPID!!!! UNCE UNCE UNCE UNCE UNCE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

On Disk
    Aimee Mann - I'm With Stupid, Whatever, The Forgotten Arm
    Sheryl Crow - Wildflower
    Coldplay - X&Y

iTunes
    Nancy Sinatra - How Does That Grab You?

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

John Legend - Let's Get Lifted
    James Blunt - Back To Bedlam
    U2 - How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
    Stereophonics - Language. Sex. Violence. Other.
    Bon Jovi - Have A Nice Day

• Advertisement

magpie wrote:
    That'll be why I don't listen to Kraftwerk, Brian Eno, Aphex Twin or Tangerine Dream I suppose? :rolleyes:

But you probably don't class them as "Electronica" (which is a term only Americans use AFAIK - and you'll note I've never used it to describe anything).

Fair enough. It's "dance music" that you have a problem with, then.

just out of interest, how old are you?

Fair enough. It's "dance music" that you have a problem with, then.

Its the kind that goes unce unce unce unce unce unce un-un-un-un unce that I have a problem with.
    how old are you?

59. a/s/l?

cool.

welcome to my ignore list, population YOU.

You'll always have your Hard NRG to keep you company:

unce unce unce unce unce unce RAPID!

magpie wrote:

Hmmm after spending the last decade reading music magazines, books, websites, liner notes and whatnot I've never come across electronica as being an American term.

He's right Magpie, you don't know what you're on about at all. I don't paticularly like all dance and electronic music but I can see their merits. Have you ever been in a field with 10,000 people dancing to the music with total respect for all those around them? I have and it was glorious (and completely drug free I might add). By your logic, all dance music being untz untz untz and burberry caps is no different to someone saying all metal fans are depressed self mutilating teenagers. But then again you're nothing but a sad loser, I don't know how many times I've seen you pathetically taking the piss out of dance music on this forum.

Hmmm after spending the last decade reading music magazines, books, websites, liner notes and whatnot I've never come across electronica as being an American term.

You weren't paying much attention then. Oh, you've only been reading about music for the last decade. Then you wouldn't realise that its a new term. Here you go:

A suitably vague term used to describe the emergence of electronic dance music increasingly geared to listening instead of strictly dancing, Electronica was first used in the title of a series of compilations (actually called New Electronica) spotlighting original sources of Detroit techno such as Juan Atkins and Underground Resistance alongside European artists who had gained much from the Motor City's futuristic vision for techno. The word was later appropriated by the American press as an easy catch-all for practically any young artist using electronic equipment and/or instruments, but electronica serves to describe techno-based music that can be used for home listening as well as on the dance floor (since many electronica artists are club DJs as well). from http://www.mp3.com/electronic-dance/genre/11/styles.html (or anyone else who knows their arse from their elbow for that matter)
    you don't know what you're on about at all

Of course. As per the above. And who's the one saying I hate all dance music when I categorically stated that its only the unce unce kind that I have a problem with?

If you were capable of reading posts before going into righteous outrage mode you'd realise that I named a number of artists who you'd probably classify as electronica (if you'd heard of them) who are among my favourites. I also neglected to mention that I was listening (and dancing) to Cabaret Voltaire, Nitzer Ebb, 808 State and Front 242 in the late 80s, years before your illustrious career in reading about music began.
    Have you ever been in a field with 10,000 people dancing to the music with total respect for all those around them?

No, but I have been in a house next door to scobes playing unce unce unce with no respect whatsoever for those around them.

By your logic, all dance music being untz untz untz

Once again, try reading the posts (you've had at least a decade's worth of reading experience, you should've got the hang of it by now). I have not said that once. Prove me wrong... go on.
    then again you're nothing but a sad loser

Who's the one who can't read? Or is it the comprehension skills you're lacking? Must be all the E.
    I don't know how many times I've seen you pathetically taking the piss out of dance music on this forum.

Never

magpie wrote:
    You weren't paying much attention then. Oh, you've only been reading about music for the last decade. Then you wouldn't realise that its a new term.

Of course I know it's a new term. Just because I've only been reading about music the last ten years (being 21 I didn't have much interest in music before I was 11 apart from listening) doesn't mean I'm ignorant.

Just because Electronica was coined in America doesn't make it exclusive to America. The term has travelled and is well accepted everywhere (I do believe Tower on Wicklow St. has an electronica section, Road Records use electronica as a catch all for electronic music, British magazine The Wire has an electronica page). Walk around London and Berlin and you'll find the term everywhere. Is all heavy metal American because William S. Burroughs coined the term? No. Is all jazz American? No.

If you were capable of reading posts before going into righteous outrage mode you'd realise that I named a number of artists who you'd probably classify as electronica (if you'd heard of them) who are among my favourites. I also neglected to mention that I was listening (and dancing) to Cabaret Voltaire, Nitzer Ebb, 808 State and Front 242 in the late 80s, years before your illustrious career in reading about music began.

Yes I realise you mentioned several artists who I'm well familiar with but it's not your definition of electronica that I take offense with, it's your attitude problem with music you don't like. I don't like a lot of music but I don't insult those who listen to it. Not even those who like Nitzer Ebb or Front 242.
    No, but I have been in a house next door to scobes playing unce unce unce with no respect whatsoever for those around them.

Is that not a problem with people rather than the music? What if they were playing free form jazz? Or country?
    Once again, try reading the posts (you've had at least a decade's worth of reading experience, you should've got the hang of it by now). I have not said that once. Prove me wrong... go on.

Well at least I've learned not to be a condescending asshole, just something I'm grateful for.
    Never

Never?

By the way, if you click on the link to brainwashed.com in my signature you'll see that I review for one of the biggest independent music websites online. We host the official sites and archives for many bands, you might have heard of some of them (Cabaret Voltaire anyone?). I didn't get a job there by flaming people for their tastes but for actually taking in what I read, hear and see and having an open mind about all music for the music and not for the people who listen to it.

I've never come across electronica as being an American term.

At least have the dignity to admit that I was right, rather than going into some long diatribe about Jazz to try and get off the hook.
    Is that not a problem with people rather than the music?

Exactly, and the point I have made repeatedly is that there is a link between people with no consideration and people who like that diabolical unce-unce-unce stuff (whatever its called)
    What if they were playing free form jazz?

At least if they were listening to Ornette Colman my inner ear wouldn't be vibrating at 180 bpm, so no problem.
    Or country?

See answer above
    Well at least I've learned not to be a condescending asshole

What do you call this then:
    then again you're nothing but a sad loser
    Never?

Ah, you found one example. I thought you "didn't know how many times". Did you lose count at 1?
    By the way, if you click on the link to brainwashed.com in my signature you'll see that I review for one of the biggest independent music websites online. We host the official sites and archives for many bands, you might have heard of some of them (Cabaret Voltaire anyone?). I didn't get a job there by flaming people for their tastes but for actually taking in what I read, hear and see and having an open mind about all music for the music and not for the people who listen to it.

Good for you. But unce-unce-unce is still utter Sh1t, whether you're Charles Shaar Murray or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Is that not a problem with people rather than the music? What if they were playing free form jazz? Or country?
    I doubt a housefull of scobes would be playing johnny cash,dolly parton or louis armstrong as loud as it would go.....but its a pretty funny thought!!!

anyway,hate to break up your argument but these are the cds i bought this year:
    Released in 05
    Garbage-Bleed Like Me
    Hard Fi-Stars Of CCTV
    Gwen Stefani-Love.Angel.Music.Baby(2004/2005,im not sure)
    KT Tunstall-Eye To The Telescope
    Queens Of The Stone Age-Lullabies To Paralyze.
    I also burned The White Stripes "Get Behind Me Satan"

some old albums that i (eventually) bought this year:
    Bjork-Medulla
    Bjork-Greatest Hits
    The Cure-Disintegration
    Garbage-Version 2.0
    White Stripes-White Blood Cells
    Kosheen-Resist
    The Breeders-Last Splash
    QOTSA-Songs For The Deaf
    No Doubt-Return Of Saturn

• Advertisement

Hard Fi-Stars Of CCTV

I've heard great things about this record. Is it worth checking out?

Advertisement