Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I don't care!

• 02-12-2005 1:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

This is really quite a trivial problem but I'll post it anyway because it bugs me.

Basically all my friends want to do is talk about sex.

One person talking about their own sex life is one thing, or a discussion on technique or experiences would be ok,

but everybody wants to talk about everyone elses - behind their backs!

I just feel like I'm in secondary school all the time. We're in our 20s!!

Every conversation starts with or ends up with "ooh guess who Mr X woke up beside this morning?" or "I wonder where Mr Z and Ms Y are today, I bet they're at it like rabbits right now"

I DON'T CARE!!! I DON'T GIVE A SH*T!!
    why does anyone give a crap what anyone else is doing??

I have a boyfriend, I get laid so it's not like I'm jealous or anything.
    I just don't care, I'm sick of hearing about it, I don't go on and on about my own I'd rather that was kept between him and me!

The most annoying part is its all speculation. No one actually knows what happens and then one guy will goad another for details "did ya ride her, what was she like, was it good, did ya did ya did ya?" while the poor guy sits there mortified because nothing probably happened in the first place and now he's afraid he'll lose is "legend" status if he admits it.

Anyone else find this?
    I think it's so childish
    And the moment i'm just blocking it out but it's getting to the stage where I just don't wanna hang out anymore.

The majority of em are male but the girls are as bad, They just speculate and build up stories and it's so boring to listen to.

Am I prude for not being interested? Should I care? Is this normal?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Prude? wrote:
    why does anyone give a crap what anyone else is doing???

cos they lead sad little lives?
    maybe it's time to find some grown up friends?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

No, I don't think your a prude, or if you are, then so am I!!!

I'm lucky in that my friends aren't like that at all.
    Maybe on the odd occasion out of genuine interest they might ask me how myself & a particular fella are getting on (or another member of the group), but would never want details or anything.

I personally think those type of details should remain between the couple in question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I wouldn't partake in conversations like that as they just don't interest me in the slightest. There's nothing wrong with you, just because you don't want to discuss the nocturnal activities of others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Prude? wrote:
    And the moment i'm just blocking it out but it's getting to the stage where I just don't wanna hang out anymore.

Although I have a feeling you've written this while highly charged so the problem may not be as bad as you say it is, you could always find new friends... I had a few friends who just wanted to talk about computers... ugh... so I try to spend as little time with them as possible now...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I have a few friends who like to talk about their own sex lives and it does bother me a bit... Maybe Im a bit of a prude but sometimes I just feel embarressed when they start... "I had the best sex last night" Hello.. I dont want to be picturing you having sex.. I know one girl, a friend of a cousin and from the age of about 16 its all she'd talk about, I walked in on her by mistake one night at a party going at it with some bloke and the next day she was sitting there, in front of a load of ppl going on about how great her orgasm was :eek: I'll have a chats with close friends about bedroom stuff etc but not casually sitting with people discussing it like the weather..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Heresy

Another point to note is that sex addiction has become a greater problem in this day and age than it used to be.
    I might be wrong, but speaking openly and freely about explicit sexual activities (on a consistent basis) with people you don't really know (and friends) may be a symptom of this illness??

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Hmm. Finding new friends seems the best option. I mean, I find that amongst lads there's always a bit of slagging about stuff like that, but I tend to choose my friends as the guys who're just kidding around. Obsessing about people's sex lives like that just seems pathetic, like they're so insecure they have to define themselves by either talking about sex or talking about having sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭lazydaisy

Its because they're not getting any. You know they saying SEX IS LIKE MONEY, PEOPLE WHO HAVE IT DONT TALK ABOUT IT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

why do you bother hanging around these people if their topic of conversation annoys you so much. the whole idea of having friends is to have things in common and be able to have proper conversations with them, u obviously cant do that with this group of friends if u cant stand what they are talking about.
    Maybe u have matured much faster than them.
    try and find some more mature friends that u can talk to?

-Femmy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I guess you're right,
    I know some of them definitely aren't getting any.
    But my boyfriend partakes in this bullsh*t from time to time and he definitely is!!
    I'm hoping he's just trying to be "one of the lads" or whatever and that he's not genuinely interested in other peoples sex lives :(

It's one thing to brag about your own (not that I or he does that), I would put that down to attention seeking or whatever,
    but to be discussing what so and so did with so an so? I'm mean who cares.

I guess I should hang out with other people, but everyone i know seems to be like this!!

I was just wondering was it me or something!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭sideFX

Prude? wrote:
    This is really quite a trivial problem but I'll post it anyway because it bugs me.

.. but everybody wants to talk about everyone elses - behind their backs!

..why does anyone give a crap what anyone else is doing??

Funny that. I was talking to a good friend of mine today about the very same thing. We weren't slatting people just like yourself making the point to each other.

It bugs me no end too. Everyone bag stabbing each other etc etc.

Hello??!?! We're supposed to be friends!

My personal spin on it is it makes people feel better about themselves if they constantly talk about others specially their mates. It saves them having to have a look at their own sad selves cause if they did they prob wouldn't like what they would see.

I just leave them to it to the extent I rarely go out with them anymore. Well the particular few. I just gets on my wick and I find it very boring, uninteresting and chidish too!

Some people just grow up quicker than others, some don't grow up at all, shame really but I suppose that's just the way it is.

Be good ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Prude? wrote:

Basically all my friends want to do is talk about sex.

One person talking about their own sex life is one thing, or a discussion on technique or experiences would be ok,

but everybody wants to talk about everyone elses - behind their backs!

Every conversation starts with or ends up with "ooh guess who Mr X woke up beside this morning?" or "I wonder where Mr Z and Ms Y are today, I bet they're at it like rabbits right now"

I DON'T CARE!!! I DON'T GIVE A SH*T!!
    why does anyone give a crap what anyone else is doing??

I have a boyfriend, I get laid so it's not like I'm jealous or anything.
    I just don't care, I'm sick of hearing about it, I don't go on and on about my own I'd rather that was kept between him and me!

The most annoying part is its all speculation. No one actually knows what happens and then one guy will goad another for details "did ya ride her, what was she like, was it good, did ya did ya did ya?" while the poor guy sits there mortified because nothing probably happened in the first place and now he's afraid he'll lose is "legend" status if he admits it.

Anyone else find this?
    I think it's so childish

The majority of em are male but the girls are as bad, They just speculate and build up stories and it's so boring to listen to.

Your friends seem very inmature not to mention somewhat obsessed if all they do is talk about sex,very sad indeeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

had a few friends like that but they normally didnt keep going on about sex, drifted off to something else. look for different people with more grown up chat.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

The obsession they have is due to the fact that they're not getting any. Just don't bother yourself with it, if it annoys you, change the subject. You should just be contented by the fact that you have exactly what it is they want, which gives you a pretty good social advantage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭natter

Some of my friends went through a phase like this.... but when they were about 18! Soon grew out of it though and sex conversations grew up into grown up converstations not giggling about this person and that.

Advertisement