Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need help for my internet at home?

• 02-12-2005 1:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭

here is the problem:

Any time I try get connect to the internet the page ("this page cannot be displayed") comes up.

Everything is connected properly, all the lights are flashing on the broadband ariel. The computer reconises that the broadband is connected.

I ran the anti-virus and that detected no virus'.

I'm still waiting for the Irish broadband engineers to sort it out.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Is you homepage valid? When you get tat message just type in another address.
    http://www.boards.ie
    for instance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭raheny red

I've tried that many times but still no joy but thanks for the help.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Gaz25

Hey,

Are you sure it is connected? if so try pinging
    click>start>run>type cmd>ok>type
    "ping www.bbc.co.uk" and press return and try this one as well
    "ping 212.58.224.114" press return

Let us know the result's even a screen shot.

Well i'm in college at the moment but I'll try it when I get home.

I did "ping www.google.com" before among a number of different sites as well but still there was no joy.

"ping 212.58.224.114"
    however I'll try this one when i get home.

If it comes back with a reply 4 times, then you can try aisgn DSN address's, which you have to get of you ISP?( who' that)

*To this you go into network connections right click LAN and select properties and double click TCP/IP and select use the following IP and DNS. To get our IP address +default gateway open the DOS and type ipconfig press return and it will come back with default gateway and maybe IP, if no IP, just try 192.168.1.1.

If it comes back with say "destination host not found or unreachable" then your router is not connected. The try open your default gateway in IE and re-type your username.

Finally if they come back "Request Timed Out" then its your firewall and you will have to reinstall it or lower the settings.

Let us know how you go:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Looks like a DNS problem but then again been IrishBroadband
    it could be anyhting, just try what Gaz25 told ya if its not DNS
    Who knows.

It was quite annoying really with them shower of_______ ( irish broadband).

Was waiting up to 6 weeks for them to install it. When I did have it I was connected to it for 3 days and it hasn't worked since. It's been like that for the past 2 weeks now. Still no sign of there engineers.

If i was you i would write down the date it stoped working and when its back i would them looking for a refund and ask them for a Good Will Gesture for the inconvience that it has caused you. Normally they would ask you how much, just say 2 months, trust me i know how it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

i'm guessing you have the static ip address assigned correctly etc...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I assume all your broadband account login details are correct?, that your BB modem is contacting the right I.P address (as in Irish Broadbands sever - that allows you to go on the net). Other than that man, it's Irish Broadband... I'd move from them as soon as possible (there's no contract with IBB right?, so you can terminate any time?) and go with Digiweb, using their Metro or Wireless BB services (I myself used to have Digiweb Wireless 512k, great performance; no complaints). As you're in a location that can receive IBB, I'm pretty sure you'll be near a Digiweb mast too.

• Advertisement

Cheers folks it's still not happening.

I'm in Raheny as you can see from the user name. I have no phone-line and don't intend on getting one. Any ideas for broadband I should go for.

What's Clearwire like??

Cheers for all the help lads. I got it working on Monday evening, however, there is still a slight problem.

The Shels Web is the only site I can visit (I have changed my home page numerous of times but it's still the same problem).
    On the Shels site I can go into all the links except one.....the fans forum (which is the one I mainly use).
    When I do click on the forum link this comes up;

http://www.dv4.com/

Which is a link that is a sponsor on the Shels home page.

This does not only happen on the shels site. Even if I try to go to the foot.ie forum or any other web site for that matter the same link always comes up not matter what.

Any ideas??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

raheny red wrote:
    Any ideas??
    MTU?

OfflerCrocGod wrote:

MTU?

:confused::confused::confused:
    Please explain??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

raheny red wrote:
    :confused::confused::confused:
    Please explain??
    i could be totally wrong but it may be MTU. Any here's an explanation. If it's to big the site can't connect it depends on the server hosting the site therefore some sites others dont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Sounds more like a DNS problem to me.

On networksettings for DNS & Gateway EITHER select "Server supplied address" (The boxes grey out), OR enter your ISPs DNS server as DNS and Gateway entries.

The first option is preferable

Cheers to everyone who gave me their advice. I just fixed it there. I installed firefox and everything is running smoothly!!

Advertisement