Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another BT Cap issue

• 02-12-2005 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Hey...as everyone probably knows the caps were reset yesterday because of the new month thats in it. So my bittorrent usage started again as i'd reached my 12gig cap from last month. I downloaded 1.4gigs yesterday of torrents but my bt bb usage counter says i've downloaded 1.7 gigs. The most i reckon i could have used browsing the web is 50mb and thats being generous. So that leaves 250mb un accounted for. Does this mean that the counter is wrong and bt are ripping me off or that the bittorrent protocol isn't very efficient in terms of (my) bandwidth ie. To download 10mb, 12mb of bandwidth is needed?.

Secondly, I just pipped 12gigs last month and got no warning of breaching the 12gig limit. Yet after supposedly downloading 1.7gigs in one day yesterday the bt usage counter says i'll go over my limit in 26 days. Thats a cap of over 40 gigs. I'm on the 1mb version of they're broadband. Does this mean i can download over the 12gigs each month and not be charged or what. I realise some people when they breach they're limit get charged and other people don't but my account seems to be messed up. Anyone else have this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I have also downloaded 1.5GB and it's saying nothing about going over the cap, som I'm presuming the caps have gone up in line with the speed increases we are going to see, it would appear that the 24GB has gone up to ~45GB.....I'd like a 50GB cap that should mean I'll never go over the cap. qBot you say you were on the 12GB cap and you are getting no warning? I can't see that cap being raised over 30GB, maybe EsatBT are planning on totally crushing €ircon's caps? Maybe they recognised the fact that very few people actually broke the cap and so increasing it hugely wouldn't have a huge effect? That would be nice, we'll see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Sounds like u got the 24GB cap.
    On the 12 gig it doesnt tell you when it will exceed.
    On the 24 gig it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

qBot wrote:
    Hey...as everyone probably knows the caps were reset yesterday because of the new month thats in it. So my bittorrent usage started again as i'd reached my 12gig cap from last month. I downloaded 1.4gigs yesterday of torrents but my bt bb usage counter says i've downloaded 1.7 gigs. The most i reckon i could have used browsing the web is 50mb and thats being generous. So that leaves 250mb un accounted for. Does this mean that the counter is wrong and bt are ripping me off or that the bittorrent protocol isn't very efficient in terms of (my) bandwidth ie. To download 10mb, 12mb of bandwidth is needed?.

I'd say the most likely answer is ip traffic overhead. BitTorrent may have said that you downloaded a file of size of 1.4GB but the IP traffic required to download that file would be a bit bigger. I have no figures. Just take my word on it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭kmurph

I have also downloaded 1.5GB and it's saying nothing about going over the cap, som I'm presuming the caps have gone up in line with the speed increases we are going to see

I got the warning about going over on Tuesday, ended up going about a gig over so don't think the caps have gone up just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

thing is though i actually did exceed the cap by all of 50mb and nothing was said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

kmurph wrote:
    I got the warning about going over on Tuesday, ended up going about a gig over so don't think the caps have gone up just yet.
    The month has just begun; last Tuesday it was last month, the caps reset at 1st of the month. If I am in danger of going over the cap then a message will appear saying "You will go over your cap in X days". It's not coming up now so I'm wondering if the caps have been upgraded.

The month has just begun; last Tuesday it was last month, the caps reset at 1st of the month. If I am in danger of going over the cap then a message will appear saying "You will go over your cap in X days". It's not coming up now so I'm wondering if the caps have been upgraded.

I got the exact same message at the beginning of last month aswell, and when you worked it out it was as though the site was on about a 24 gig cap. So if it were true then the caps would have been upgraded from atleast last month too.

And just to confirm. I looked at my modem status and its telling 1024kb down and 128 up so i'm defo not on a 2mb line although I kinda gathered that anyway from my download speeds.

Advertisement