Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Damien Kiberd Show - featuring...

• 02-12-2005 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

what's the story with 'the lunchtime news' on newstalk using co-presenters? I've only heard it twice over the last few weeks, but I assume it's a regular (weekly?) feature? First time, they had Helen Lucy Burke on, and today, it was Pauline McLynn (sp)...

is this supposed to be a credible news program? It is marketed as their lunchtime news program, so one would expect some quality analysis and news features...not the woman who played mrs. doyle in father ted cracking weary jokes about cups of tea.

i have a lot of time for newstalk, and I listen regularly. I wouldn't be the biggest fan of damien on the radio, but the show is occasionally entertaining, but this type of nonsense masquerading as news programming is a bit much.

or am i wrong? is this the type of thing that newstalk should be bringing to the table as pretenders to the quasi national license?

what think ye, oh boards people?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

what's the story with 'the lunchtime news' on newstalk using co-presenters? I've only heard it twice over the last few weeks, but I assume it's a regular (weekly?) feature? First time, they had Helen Lucy Burke on, and today, it was Pauline McLynn (sp)...

is this supposed to be a credible news program? It is marketed as their lunchtime news program, so one would expect some quality analysis and news features...not the woman who played mrs. doyle in father ted cracking weary jokes about cups of tea.

i have a lot of time for newstalk, and I listen regularly. I wouldn't be the biggest fan of damien on the radio, but the show is occasionally entertaining, but this type of nonsense masquerading as news programming is a bit much.

or am i wrong? is this the type of thing that newstalk should be bringing to the table as pretenders to the quasi national license?

what think ye, oh boards people?

Been listening to Newstalk quite a bit, I heard the show in question - wasn't impressed at all. It seems as though they're trying to make things "light and fluffy" - did you happen to hear their piece on stereotypes earlier today? It sounded very amateur-ish, wasn't informative, or news-worthy, and seemed to be something like you'd expect to hear on 104 or the like.

Having said that, NewsTalk in its proper form - when it's talking about news - is damn good, and should be heard by more people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cnamhspairne

yeah...the piece (on environmentalists) was like an essay by a primary school kid. i've heard that reporter a couple of times before, and the pieces were of a similar standard.

is this bad editorial policy or lack or any sort of coherent editorial policy in the station? most broadcasters wouldn't air something like that - even on college radio!

Who's calling the shots in there? I hear it's kiberd, but is there leadership filtering down through the ranks? doesn't seem like it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

supposedly she won awards for the sterotype slot! dont think its any good,especially the stupid impersonations at the beging of the slot.
    kibard is in charge , i think they want to be an alternative to the serious news on rte1,but they are much better when doing serious news with a bit of humour,kibard can be very witty, but as usual commercial stations aim their programming at the lowest common denominator and become tabloid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭ThatBloke

They're making a big play for female listeners so they're trying to get more female voices on the station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

It's a mistake made by most male-run media - if they want to attract female listeners they go all fluffy.

Doesn't occur to them that the female listeners that the advertisers are interested in aren't interested in the fluffy approach!

• Advertisement
Advertisement