Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

symantec 8.0 64bit fails on win-xp-pro 64bit

• 02-12-2005 4:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭

hi

have installed symantec 8.0 64bit on win-xp-pro 64-bit. now my liveupdate is failing. i suspect it is not using my internet settings. however, when i run liveupdate it does not give me a chance to click next or configure. it actually does the run itself and fails.

has anyone seen this problem where liveupdate does not allow one to click next or configure?

i have uninstalled it and re-installed but to no avail.

--laoisfan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Having worked for Symantec before...I'm pretty sure LU uses the internet settings on the machine. That is what ever is configured for Internet Explorer to access the web. Other reasons I can think of it for failing are you not having a valid subscription for the product updates, which is unlikely enough if you purchased it recently. It could also be an issue with whatever LU server you're connecting to. Does it throw up any error messages?

BTW you didn't mention which Symantec product you're using. Is it NAV or one of the other offerings. I don't seem to remember there being a 64 bit NAV while I was there during the Summer. There was probably a 64 bit version of SAV the corporate version of NAV but I never worked on that.

Cheers
    Rory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭laoisfan

nav8.0

company has a licence. works successfully on another win-xp-pro 64-bit system.

did a registry comparison to see if there were any obvious differences but could see nothing....

usually after an install the liveupdate fails for the first time as it is not using the browser settings. once we click configure and see the browsers settings everything is aok. however when i click liveupdate the update runs from start to finish and fails. i see the next and configure buttons for less than a second....

--laoisfan

sorry, looks like it is 32-bit symantec. but OS is 64bit windows xp pro.

Strange alright. Did the machine happen to have a previous version of NAV on it as the LU component doesn't get uninstalled by the NAV uninstaller its usually left on the machine and if you install another Symantec product the installer looks for LU and if it sees that it's already there it won't install the other version unless the other version is newer than the one already there.

Cheers
    Rory

there was no symantec on it to begin with.

i re-installed win-xp-pro from scratch, blowing away origional first.

then i installed symantec and ran into these problems.

when i tried to uninstall symantec it asked for an uninstall password. i tried 'symantec' in the hope it was the default password. it did not work. so i did a regedit and changed the value of useVPuninstallpassword from 1 to 0. did the uninstall. rebooted.

finally i reinstalled symantec.....same problem again!!!

• Advertisement

Bugger can't really think of anything else that would be causing this then. Try looking around in the Symantec knowledge base on their website it might throw up something. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Cheers
    Rory

Hi

Retried the following:

1. Re-installed win-xp-pro 64bit including formatting the partition I was installing to.
    2. Installed symantec.

No problems this time doing the liveupdate! I can only guess I messed up the origional install.....maybe. Ah well, it is sorted now!

Thanks!

--laoisfan

Advertisement