Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

no coolant

Options
  • 02-12-2005 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hopefully someone can help me out, I sold a 99 Mirage back in september, just got a call from the girls boyfriend saying that it stopped running this morning for a few hours, she rang up some garage and they said it was that it had ran out of coolant and thats all, as long as she doesnt run it anymore until it gets a service she should be ok (since sep. she hasnt topped up cooland or oil) anyone know if thats right and is there any chance she can run it just for a few miles, cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I don't know a lot about these things but I'd have to say that'd be a definite no-no. Without any cooling, the engine oil (assuming she has any left after alread running it without coolant) will overheat and the engine will at least seize, if not blow totally, probably damaging the pistons, cylinders, gaskets and seals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Chunkylover

cheers, if she was to top up woudl it help at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I wouldn't risk driving without, coolant/oil is a lot cheaper than an engine rebuild.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭kyote00

There would be many warning signs about a total loss of coolant. For example, the temp guage on the car would read very high.

If all the coolant is missing then its very strange --- either there a leak in a hose or radiator

It could also be the head gasket gone - check the oil filler cap to see if there is a milky/mayo like substance around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hopefully someone can help me out, I sold a 99 Mirage back in september, just got a call from the girls boyfriend saying that it stopped running this morning for a few hours

Flips sake! Its not your concern anymore!
    she rang up some garage and they said it was that it had ran out of coolant and thats all, as long as she doesnt run it anymore until it gets a service she should be ok (since sep. she hasnt topped up cooland or oil) anyone know if thats right and is there any chance she can run it just for a few miles, cheers

Mr garage man is right. As said you usually get loads of warning about coolant lose as the temp gauge reaches for the stars. If it suddenly went then your 'freind' has a very loose hose or a hole in the radiator. Both are easy to check with a torch.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

cheers, if she was to top up woudl it help at all
    As the others said, there must be some kind of major leak or problem for it all to dissapear, if she tops up now it'll probably just drain straight out again, altough this could help her track down the problem. Best to just get it towed to a garage really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

If coolant just 'went' then DO NOT DRIVE IT (I know its not you but still...)

Firstly, check the oil filler cap/dip stick for 'mayo' substance (oil and coolant mixing). If there is mayo here chances are your head gasket is gone.

If the oil is clean, fill the coolant up. Leave it an hour and let it settle. If its disappearing then youve got a loose hose

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

Why do people in this country think that you should be the one responsible for something that goes wrong with an item that you sell them? You pays your money and takes your chances! Simple as.
    I'm not saying don't help them, but if they checked out the car and all was in order why then after 2mths should you or anyone else in the same situation be getting a phone call to report a problem? If these idiots want a car or anything else for that matter they should save up there euros and buy from a retail outlet and make there silly phone calls to them where they have a real and legal come back.
    I've worked in auction rooms where you don't even get a chance to move a car, you buy as seen and still these fools came back, weeks even months afterwards with the famous line "That car yous sold me is broken"
    Not that car i bid for and bought of my own free will is broken even after reading the many sings stating milage uncheecked and so on.....
    Silly silly people!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Mind me asking why the persons boyfriend rang as opposted to the person that bought it?

Or was it him you were dealing with during the sale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Just check all the fluids and insure they are at the required levels before driving it again. if it is totally out of water, kinda surprising, must have a major leak.
    some damage may have been done, depending on whether she nogticed it was overheating and stopped, or whether it overheated and stopped of it's own accord.

anyway, given you sold it in Sept, why are they calling you, kinda daft.

• Advertisement
Advertisement