Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPod question - iTunes

• 02-12-2005 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭

My old computer packed it in and I need to connect my iPod to the new one. I've downloaded iTunes but when I connect my iPod it asks me a question that is really unclear and I'm afraid to click yes or no in case I accidentally erase everything. I can't remember the question off hand but it's something to do with updating the library. Does anyone know which answer I should be clicking on to update the iTunes library with everything currently on my iPod?

Hope I'm making sense here, bit hungover and finding it difficult to be coherent... :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Click the "maybe" button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Itunes is probably asking you if you want to update your IPOD with what is in your itunes library.

If this is what you are being asked - DO NOT click yes - it will make your IPOD match what is in your Itunes folder, i.e. nothing. Be very careful what decision you make here, read the question carefully, you obviously don't want to lose all your music.
    This has happened to a few people I know.

After saying you do not want to do this, click the IPOD button in the bottom right and make sure your IPOD is set to manual updating.

You can then use one of the many methods discussed on these boards to copy your IPOD's contents to your new PC, e.g. unhiding hidden folders in Windows explorer and navigating to ipod_control, this is where all your music is stored, or using winamp, podutil or any other app for copying music off your IPOD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

What it will ask you is if you want to link the iPod with the iTunes Library it's currently connected to, and sync the Computer files to the iPod. Click NO, go to the iPod tab in iTunes preferences, and put the iPod into manual mode, and enable it as a disk drive.

You can then use a program like iPodRip, iPod Agent, or PodUtil to copy your iPod music to your computer. See this guide for further instructions.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭*Sassy*

Yes that was the question it was asking, but it's just really badly phrased so that's why I was having doubts as to whether I should click yes or no.

Thanks a mill :)

Advertisement