Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New To Eircom Broadband

• 02-12-2005 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

I intend to sign up for Eircom Broadband on the basis that the speed will be
    much improved from January.
    At present Eircom are supplying a Netopia Wirless router, what does that mean as regards extra gear I will need to install in my PC. AT present I am on dial up so I know I will need a dsl modem but do I need a wirless one. ??? Also my son has a laptop with a belking G wirless adapter so will he be able to acess the web via the Eircom wirless router.
    Thanks for the advice.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

My advice is to not sign up for Eircom. All the other companies will also be increasing their speeds over the next two months. There will be much better offers from other companies. For instance, depending on where you live you could get:

- NTL Cable BB
    - Chorus Cable BB
    - Magnet DSL
    - Smart Telecom BB
    - Digiweb Metro

If you most go with bitstream DSL, then BT Ireland would be much cheaper then Eircom for the same product.

If you do decide to go Eircom, then you probably don't need to install anything in your PC, as long as it has either a USB port or a ethernet port (the preferable option) and yes your sons laptop will work with the wireless router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I agree with everything bk^ said; don't go €ircon they are a rip off!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

run away while you can!

stupid year contracts :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

I'm with €ircon. I am slowly trying to free myself from their grasp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

bk wrote:
    My advice is to not sign up for Eircom. All the other companies will also be increasing their speeds over the next two months. There will be much better offers from other companies. For instance, depending on where you live you could get:

- NTL Cable BB
    - Chorus Cable BB
    - Magnet DSL
    - Smart Telecom BB
    - Digiweb Metro

If you most go with bitstream DSL, then BT Ireland would be much cheaper then Eircom for the same product.

If you do decide to go Eircom, then you probably don't need to install anything in your PC, as long as it has either a USB port or a ethernet port (the preferable option) and yes your sons laptop will work with the wireless router.
    Agreed.
    But the Eircom supplied wireless router (Netopia 3347 NWG) does not have a USB port so you will need an ethernet port or a wireless card in your PC.

• Advertisement
Advertisement