Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ipod video vs PSP

Options
  • 02-12-2005 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

I currently have a 4th gen ipod and am considering getting 1 of the above. In addition to having a music player I want something I can look at pictures and home video while travelling. Which do you recommend. The PSP has a bigger better screen and you can buy movies and play games where as the ipod video means 1 device for everything and transfer of meview from my mac easily (I hope!!!) but has a smaller screen. I read a review on ipodlounge and it wasn't great. Anyone with any experiences and what do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Well if it's just for movies, mp3 and pics then the PSP would be a bit of a waste. It may do all those things but its still primarily a games machine. If you wanna play games as well then it's well worth it, and it is much more suited to watching movies than an iPoo. I wouldn't get rid of your old player though as the number of mp3's you'll be able to put on the PSP is relatively limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

If video is what you want it for then I don't think either is a good choice. Take at look at the archos range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

I think the main advantages of each are;
    iPod - More Memory
    PSP - More Screen

For around the same price as a PSP with a 1GB stick (which is the minimum you'll want if you're using it for movies), you can get the 30GB iPod. Now, this may have changed as I heard of Sony introducing a new 'Giga Pack' PSP with a 1GB stick, but still - Sony memory sticks are expensive. A 1GB stick separately in HMV is €150.

Content-wise (legally at least!), the PSP focuses on movies, and Sony Pictures/Columbia/Tristar have released a lot of movies on UMD discs, but they can't be played back on a television easily.
    The iPod has the iTunes Music Store where you can get music videos for €2.49 a pop at the moment (bad pricing compared to the US store IMO…), and a small set of Pixar short films. There's also the video podcast directory which has some gems. The newest Firmware for the PSP also supports "RSS feed downloads / the-same-thing-as-Podcasting-without-mentioning-the-iPod".
    I mentioned you can't output from PSP-to-TV without one a huge device that sits on top and actually captures the screen with a camera, and it's really messy. For the iPod there's an Apple AV cable available for the iPod for around €25 that'll output any iPod video to TV.

And for portability, the iPod wins hands down for me. I'd never lug a PSP around to listen to music.

Edit: And if you have a Mac it'll be really simple to convert all those home movies from iMovie or Final Cut or whatever to an iPod. Also, you mentioned you travel - the iPod camera connector allows you to move photos from your Camera to iPod over USB, something I find invaluable on holiday :)

Advertisement