Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Increases

• 02-12-2005 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

whats this about most broadband companies increasing their speeds? I am with BT(IOL +) is theirs increasing? and when?

Sorry if someone asked about this already i searched and found nothing useful. maybe a mod should make a sticky about the increases if they are happening ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

Yep they are increasing and they will be increasing for BT users too, since you're on BT BB+, your new speeds will be 3Mb Downstream / 384k Upstream sometime in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

Sparky_S wrote:

Yes but that thread is full of waffle :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

Yep they are increasing and they will be increasing for BT users too, since you're on BT BB+, your new speeds will be 3Mb Downstream / 384k Upstream sometime in January.

Noice, are they increasing the cap aswell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Noice, are they increasing the cap aswell?

Does it really matter???

Came close to 60GB a couple of times in the Summer and not a word from BT about it!

For cosmetic reasons I would expect BT to increase current 2Mb users to a 30GB or 40GB CAP or so when their speeds increase to 3Mb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

we can all thank digiweb for this recent increase in speeds with there metro
    or am i mistaken did somebody start it before them

1huge1 wrote:
    we can all thank digiweb for this recent increase in speeds with there metro

I second that!

In early 2005 it was Smart which prompted eircom to dramitically increase(.5mbit->2mbit!) their home packages.

For early 2006 it will be Digiweb metro and to a much smaller extent Magnet who will cause eircom to increae our download(1mbit for each package) but more importantly our upload(128kbit->374kbit(plus package)256(standard package)!).

It appears that eircoms cout battles with Smart have reduced its competitive spirit to such an alarming extent but it will still be exciting to see what Smart pull out of the bag?
    To be competitive they will have to come up with 4M/512k In my opinion or they will have no bragging rights left!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Any news/rumours on any revisions of the cost of the services. While 2Mb is twice 1Mb, the new speeds seem to involve 3Mb and 2Mb which would only be a 50% difference. Will the basic service go up, will the 3Mb come down. Will a new 1Mb cheapo service come into existence?

I don;t have broadband but paln to get it shortly, but I haven't seen the new speeds mentioned yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

zuma wrote:
    For early 2006 it will be Digiweb metro and to a much smaller extent Magnet who will cause eircom to increae our download(1mbit for each package) but more importantly our upload(128kbit->374kbit(plus package)256(standard package)!).
    Nope, it will be NTL/UPC; if they unleash 10Mb and offer the triple play then €ircon will finally be forced to really compete.

Nope, it will be NTL/UPC; if they unleash 10Mb and offer the triple play then €ircon will finally be forced to really compete.

I was only comparing DSL providers in my last assesment...but yes in the cities(most lucrative market) it will UPC that is currently scaring the sh!t out of eircom!

As long as they do launch the 10M service then eircom will be forced to try and launch ADSL2+ in a year!
    Isnt the idea of destroying eircoms monopoly great???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

zuma wrote:
    I was only comparing DSL providers in my last assesment...but yes in the cities(most lucrative market) it will UPC that is currently scaring the sh!t out of eircom!

As long as they do launch the 10M service then eircom will be forced to try and launch ADSL2+ in a year!
    Isnt the idea of destroying eircoms monopoly great???

But sadly UPC will then be the monopoly - who is going to compete with them and keep standards up (incl customer service) if/when UPc get their act together? NTL at least on the tv side have the worst customer service in the universe and possibly even beyond.:eek:

If Eircom suffer severly from competition (resulting in less investment etc etc) then wont there be consequences for those who resell their bb product ie UTV, Esat, as in less competitive product more line failures etc with knock on effects for people who cannot get cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

dub45 wrote:
    But sadly UPC will then be the monopoly - who is going to compete with them and keep standards up (incl customer service) if/when UPc get their act together? NTL at least on the tv side have the worst customer service in the universe and possibly even beyond.:eek:

Eircon will start to promote LLU if UPC has that big an effect.

Customers on UPC total for eircon is 0

LLU customer total for eicon is 15 p/m.

Everybody wins (except eircon :D ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

i really like the way the speeds are going up but i wish they would concentrate more on availbility of broadband because i live in a big town and the only broadband choice is satellite which is rediclus and then i hear somewere last week that they said that there 80% availbility for broadband in ireland
    that cant be true because i cant possible be in that last 20% and i now loads of people who are in the same situation
    funny how many people they've fit into that 20%
    id say its more like 55% availbilty
    (excuse my spelling)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

its only 25% availabiltiy, (excluding satellite, because afterall some people cant afford €1000 for install's and equipment)
    The only way forward would be wireless services of local tv transmitters to rural towns.
    As for the increases i believe we can thank digiweb and magnet for pushing the gates open wider. Im on the metro plus and i do hope that either the speeds go up for the price, or the price gets cheaper for the speed im at now, but some may argue that it will stay the same price due to the 1mb upload speed.
    Anyways whatever way it works out it will be better as only 18months ago we were all still in 512k, land at least now we are slowly catching up to the rest of europe, only difference is the price for services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

So... I got IOL Broadband back in the day, which I know think is BT, correct?
    I assume I'll just notice a boost in speed someday too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I love fierce competitions between ISPs ;)

Advertisement