Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Godspeed You! Black Emperor related help

Options
  • 02-12-2005 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

Thought this'd be the best place to go for help. Okay its Christmas time again and that means the difficult task of buying a present for my brother who is awful at dropping hints. He has however mentioned GY!BE because they are often mentioned in the same breath as one of his favourites HOTS. What album would anybody recommend and would it be worth buying for a guy who in doesnt like bands like Radiohead(who i've also heard mentioned in relation to godspeed)?

Thanks
    ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cow girl

im goin through same situation. i have no idea what to get her. she is 16 and has everything. have you any ideas. im not sure about ur bro. does it have to be a cd you get him+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

I absolutely love Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven. I also like F#A# infinity.... but others say its so so.
    so go for the first one, its easy enough to get. and it pisses all over HOTS. (can't stand that guys voice to be honest)
    It's not really that much of a radiohead style....
    The only thing ya really gotta be concerned about is there is a lot of "filler" in places.... random acoustic noises... repetitive phrases etc
    but Skinny Fists is a double CD of 4 songs each about 20-25 minutes. It's well worth the purchase.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I have Yanqui UXO and I like it, but its not for everyone (i.e I've been asked not to put it on ever again) but it seems more readily available than their other stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Could look into getting a different band that are kind of similar, building up into a crescendo of really blissed out noise. Explosions In The Sky are the best band at this. I'd recommend their album 'Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Live Forever' or their later album 'The Earth Is not A Cold Dead Place'. They're available in Tower Records and HMV. Anyone who likes Sigur Ros/Radiohead/Godspeed (who I know) loves Explosions..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

Cheers for the advice. I think ill get Lift Your Skinny Fists.
    Smurfpiss wrote:
    (can't stand that guys voice to be honest)
    Yeah, i hear that a lot. It's definitely a hate it or love it voice.
    cow girl wrote:
    im goin through same situation. i have no idea what to get her. she is 16 and has everything.

Whipping Boy - Heartworm in case she hasn't got it. Its quite amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 loveonautocue

lift yr skinny fists is definitely a good place to start with gy!be. failing that, explosions in the sky are pretty ace and so is a silver mt zion's he has left us alone but shafts of light sometimes grace the corners of our rooms... all make pretty mournful xmas gifts but i'd have been made up to get them a few yrs ago so you'll probably do well with any of them and they're fairly easily availible :)

heartworm is a superb album if she doesn't have it! better yet, get her tickets to the gig ;)

Advertisement