Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

add/remove programs problem

• 02-12-2005 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

I'm not sure if anyone can help, but anyway here is my problem

The sister installed a program called picture package on the computer and it slows it down at times and is always running.
    I tried removing it from add/remove programs but i get a error windows shield is unable to remove the program.

I have even tried going into safe mode and removing the F**ker but i get the same error mgs.

Any ideas:confused:

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

i know that the program advanced uninstaller ( free 20 day triall - excellent program ) has a forced removal command on it that will get rid of it but im not sure how thoroughly - what you want to watch out for is that if it slowed down the pc it might have put adware/spyware on the pc and an uninstall may not get rid of it - if i was you then whatever way i got rid of it i would do a couple of adware/spyware scans on the pc afterward . there are a couple of programs documented here- although i think adaware is the best and i dont think that's on there - spybots&d is worth using - and so is microsoft antispyware beta ( even though it's beta it's been on the go for so long now it's safe enough imo) - spywareblaster is for protection only and will not remove anything. also i would do a registry clean out when it's all done - you can use the one included in advanced uninstaller - they advise backing up the registry first but i've used it hundreds of times and never had an accident yet - still better be safe than sorry.

ps one way to agressively get rid of the program is to delete it's folder from the program files folder - but you'll have to clean up at least the startup ( if it loads on startup ) and the registry afterwards - i have done this successfully once of twice though

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/ adaware

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/ - spybot s&d

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx ms antispyware

http://www.snapfiles.com/download/dlspywareblaster.html -- spywareblaster

http://www.innovative-sol.com/ adv uninstaller

.............all programs free except adv uninstaller which is a 20 day triall and i think costs 20 or 30 - great prog imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Gaz25

Yeh i've tried all that, but nothing works. I have tried to delete the program files, but it still wont delete.

Anyone have any other idea's:confused:

I can't remove a program called picture package from windows XP. I get this error:
    InstallShield (R) Setup Launcher has encountered a problem and needs to close. We

are sorry for the inconvenience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

I have tried to delete the program files, but it still wont delete.

if the program file wont delete then it's prob in use - try deleting it in safe mode - another trick is to use cmd alt delete to shut down every thing you can in the processes tab of the task mgr - not everything will shut down and some of them may cause the pc to crash so you may need a couple of tries - it;s a bit hairy and may take a few attempts - but if you get a good few processes shut down then you may have stopped the one which is preventing you from deleteing the program

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Worth installing the app again as admin and rebooting and then uninstalling.
    also try installing the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility msicuu before the reinstall - it might note the changes - depends on how install routine written

Anyone know if one of the installer packages could be used ?
    ( wininstall LE 2003 or something )
    take a snapshot, reinstall the app as admin, take a second snapshot so the installer knows what it changes ( hopefully it will register updates as changes ) and undo the changes.

If using XP then try system restore to go back to before it was installed

• Advertisement

Here is the Error i get:

InstallShield (R) Setup Launcher has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Advertisement