Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

xbox 360, whats the fuss?

• 02-12-2005 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Played pgr3 and cod2 today and yesterday. On the upside they are nice and shiny but in all fairness there isn't any other real difference besides that between it and say a ps2 or Xbox. Why are so many people spending 400/500e on what is a disappointing system at best?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

ninja 101 wrote:
    Played pgr3 and cod2 today and yesterday. On the upside they are nice and shiny but in all fairness there isn't any other real difference besides that between it and say a ps2 or Xbox. Why are so many people spending 400/500e on what is a disappointing system at best?

nice and shiney?

Right. No comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Er because launch titles are nearly always decent/soild games for every launch of every console sure the xbox is missing a "killer app" but i am banking on mircosoft pulling games like gears of war etc out of there arse soon plus iv been burned by nintendo 2 generations in a row so time to change alligence

Mircosoft are going to take over the world anyway so why fight it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

Yeah played it in smyths...very very disappointing...

Just looks like its got that little bit higher res but nothing 'next gen' still worse than my pc playing half-life2 at full res...

Heres hoping the PS3 will be better ...

Looking at the high res trailer for KillZone on the PS3 they might just do it...
    -A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

once again, killzone was not ingame...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭ninja 101

Yeah but I suppose looking for a leap in graphics/gameplay like the one observed from say the ps to the ps2/xbox is asking a bit too much.I suppose it can be likened to the law of diminshing returns or something like that,never studied economics enough so I'm prob wrong on that last comment.I doubt the ps3 graphics will be that much better,it will really depend on the killer apps that each console develops over the next 6/9 months that will decide which one I go for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Teg Veece

I'm a big fan of the original Xbox but I don't really think the 360 warrants the title Next Generation Console. It's kind of between generations, a bit like the DreamCast...

Talking about the dreamcast, if shenmue 3 were to come out on the xbox 360 that would make my mind up for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 HornPilot

I'll be getting all the next gen consoles, as each one is better in different area's...now im not saying ill get them all at launch...but I will have all 3 major next gen consoles in about 2 years from now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Played the XBOX today and its seriously disappointing.I havent used the Live Features which look great but the graphics leave a little to be desired.Hardly 'Next-Gen'...

HornPilot wrote:
    I'll be getting all the next gen consoles, as each one is better in different area's...now im not saying ill get them all at launch...but I will have all 3 major next gen consoles in about 2 years from now.

Yeah I'll prob get the revolution and etheir the xbox 360 or the ps3 since alot of their libaries will over lap bar the odd one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

ah sure let them base their opinion on king kong and cod2 its their loss (2 games that arent even exclusive to the 360). If future games are anything like pgr3 then i'll be very happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I thought they were a bad choice of games for a display model, they really should have showed exclusives. Heck just limit it to walking around the garage in PGR3. The graphics in that game are incredible, none of the other 360 games I've played look as good but they obviously will improve as time goes on.

The problem is that the difference in hardware from previous generation is massive, but we're at the stage of near-photorealism, that it really takes a hell of a lot of work for the machine to calculate fine little details that the eye can barely notice in order to improve how these games look now.

I'm hoping the real difference won't be graphics though, I'm far more excited about all the xbox live stuff, as someone who's only ever played a PS2 online it's a world of difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

bizmark wrote:
    Er because launch titles are nearly always decent/soild games for every launch of every console sure the xbox is missing a "killer app" but i am banking on mircosoft pulling games like gears of war etc out of there arse soon

If soon is next summer..
    bizmark wrote:
    Mircosoft are going to take over the world anyway so why fight it.

I'm sure they'd like to think so, but I've my doubts Xbox will buck their trend of a relative lack of success beyond their core business. MS has had plenty of disappointing performers (from a business perspective), the only difference with them is they can afford to keep them around ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭BOHS

Alright lads is the 360 def gone from all shops in ireland till the new year or is there any getting more in soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

The graphics are amazing you lot are talking out of your arse's, you must expect it to be as near to real life as possible... which it is at this stage if you look at fifa you can notice a real difference from ps2/pc/xbox just look at it :eek: the faces are sooo real :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

This thread is a load of Pony, the graphics on perfect dark zero on HD projector are absolutely breathtaking. Was playing for 6 hours last night

Will report on COD2 tomorrow after i buy it this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭glimmerman

I'd say the fuss is all about HD: on a SD set, it looks disappointingly similar to current gen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

This is the crappest launch line up ever in console launching history, everyone here knows that and yet people here are still buying them.

Played Pd0 and Cod 2 and both are fairly crap tbh, nice opening level in PD0 but heads downhill after that, cod 2 is well pcs cod2 but on an xbox.

I got one yesterday as a present for someone, obviously testing it in case it may be good but its not, i have another look at it next year when its cheaper and theres a game for it that i havent got on pc with another name and worth buying.

Nice powerful machine but its games suck.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Played COD2 demo on the 360 and it doesn't compare at all against the PC version. Need for speed most wanted also looks dated compared to the PC version. It will take time to get the most of the system so it's not a complete waste of time. It's also a media centre and the ease of use so simple your parents could get the hang of it no problem.

At the end of the day it's a €310 euro machine, and price/performance graphics wise, its very good. Unfortunately for the xbox, against a €2k pc gaming monster, it pales in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

yes, civil, but you said it youself, xbox is less then €500, unlike a top of the range gaming pc, i dont however agree the graphics are dated, they are realy nice, and if the launch games are like this, imagine what new games will be like in the months ahead:D and even the xbox 1, over 4 years old, id like to see a 4 year old pc run half-life2, doom3 etc..

• Advertisement

Only reason it pales vs a PC is cos there are good games out for the pc.

The Xbox is a monster machine and maybe next year i will get one when games come out to justify it, from what i have seen its like buying an Alienware and playing Mame on it.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    This is the crappest launch line up ever in console launching history, everyone here knows that and yet people here are still buying them.

Played Pd0 and Cod 2 and both are fairly crap tbh, nice opening level in PD0 but heads downhill after that, cod 2 is well pcs cod2 but on an xbox.

I got one yesterday as a present for someone, obviously testing it in case it may be good but its not, i have another look at it next year when its cheaper and theres a game for it that i havent got on pc with another name and worth buying.

Nice powerful machine but its games suck.

kdjac

Thats why the majority of reviews from gamers and critics alike have said COD2 is better on 360 than the PC. Have played it for the last hour or so and i definitely agree. PD0 has fantastic GFX, i think Halo plays better, but ive only given it a small workout. i do agree the launch titles are very limited though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Jesus lad give them a chance to optimise the games properly it takes a few months for people to get used to coding games for new consoles it was the same with every previous console the first batch of games were just cross platform ports the main reason i buy microsoft consoles now is because i got sick of being burnt buying sony ive had 2 ps2's and both of their lasers failed because sony made them that way do you think they would care no at least microsoft have some sort of customer service and if its faulty they will repair it or replace it unlike sony who just say deal with it and buy another which is the treatment i got both times from them my experience with microsft was couried back and replaced it within a week so im all for a company with that service rather than a company who couldnt give 2 sh1ts about there customers
    but thats just my reasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Despite terrible opening games I know that the 360 will make up for it with games in the future.Will thre be any more 360's in before Christmas?

Armored Core 2
    Dead or Alive 2: Hardcore
    Dynasty Warriors 2
    ESPN International Track & Field
    ESPN X Games Snowboarding
    Eternal Ring
    Evergrace
    FantaVision
    Gun Griffon Blaze
    Kessen
    Madden NFL 2001
    Midnight Club: Street Racing
    Moto GP
    NHL 2001
    Orphen
    Q-Ball Billiards Master
    Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2
    Real Pool
    Ridge Racer V
    SSX
    Silent Scope
    Silpheed: The Lost Planet
    Smuggler's Run
    Street Fighter EX3
    Surfing H30
    Summoner
    Swing Away Golf
    Tekken Tag Tournament
    TimeSplitters
    Top Gear Daredevil
    Unreal Tournament
    Wild Wild Racing
    X-Squad

nothing there stands out for the ps2 launch so i really don't see what the deal is with
    Kdjac wrote:

Sweet wrote:
    Despite terrible opening games I know that the 360 will make up for it with games in the future.Will thre be any more 360's in before Christmas?

Im looking forward to Top Spin 2 in january and Halo 3 in June. Happy with my 2 so far though. Quake 4 is en route from ebay, but apparently there are big display problems with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

I picked one up yesterday with PDO, Condemned and Kameo. I agree that the launch isn't great but it is no worse that recent launches (I still think the only decent launch title on the PS2 was fantavision). It's a great system for the price (XBox and PS2 launched at €480) and I'm sure that a stream of decent games will follow.

Makes you think that the Dreamcast really did have the best launch line up:)

peterk19 wrote:
    it was the same with every previous console the first batch of games were just cross platform ports

Horsepoop, N64 had mario, xbox had halo, Ps2 had DOA and Midnight club, Gamecube had nothing really and suffered for it.

on Launch day their must be a grade A game that you have to buy.

kdjac

pgr3 is a gradeA game

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

PDZ is not very good and all the other games don't exite me, although i haven't played any other ones but i got my 360 anyway. But PDZ is strangely enjoyable online though, and everything else about the machine and xbox live is unreal.
    I think all the launch games were just hyped up and i'm not too worried. There's no point making too much of a fuss when you know there'll be some quality titles coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,966 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The last machine to launch with a really great game was the xbox with halo and then the Nintendo 64 and Mario 64.

PS2 had 0 good games at launch, so did the gamecube (luigi's mansion..).

Xbox 360 has pgr3, pd0, kameo as its top games, which in the grand scheme of things, ain't bad.

Also, alot of sony fanboys going on about getting a ps3 cos of system specs, when the ps2 had BY FAR the weakest specs of the current gen. idiots.

Games sell consoles, thats why ps2 is/was number one, and games will determine which of the 360 and ps3 become dominant, not hardware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

The graphics are amazing you lot are talking out of your arse's, you must expect it to be as near to real life as possible... which it is at this stage if you look at fifa you can notice a real difference from ps2/pc/xbox just look at it :eek: the faces are sooo real :P

If you have a good processor and graphics card for the pc,it is still 10 times better than the 360. The PS3 will be next gen as they are using a processor more powerful than pc ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Ronan

OMG, it is unreal how ilinformed some of you slagging off the 360 are. I'd love to see your triple processor, 512 mb GFX card super duper PCs.... Geez, at least do some research before you post slagging things off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

lol 10 times, do these pc's cost 300-400 euro? if i payed 1000+ euro for a pc i'd expect it to be better than the 360 but not everyone has a top of the range pc or wants one. The amount of fanboyism here is unreal. The ps3 will be more powerful, but we dont know anything about it! And most of the games will be released on both consoles so judging by ppls views here I pity the game developers. If sony release a cardboard box they'll sell a lot over here.

@ronan
    Thats excluding the few hundred euro for a graphics card ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sar!

The 360 is a fantastic piece of hardware. I have mine hooked up to a Hi Def TV and it is incomparable to a PC - Infinity Ward themselves said that they performed tests on Call of Duty 2 on both PC and 360 and that the 360 wiped the floor with the best spec PC money can buy and top of the range graphics card.

I think i smell alot of serious jealousy on this thread and some Sony sob stories because they couldnt get the PS3 out in time! I would be extremely suprised if the PS3 has HALF the capability of the 360 online - it is an amazing online system and once again Sony seem to be lagging behind...Xbox all the way...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Ronan

if i payed 1000+ euro pc i'd expect it to be better than the 360

If you find that PC for that price let me know, cause you'll be getting some deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Sar i agree with you that the 360 has fantastic online qualities. Sony could do worse than create something similar to xbox live. In particular, matching players with similar game experience is something so simple but then again the best ideas usually are.

The 360 on live is serious stuff. I'm very impressed and what it can offer in the future seems very promising. I think what microsoft are trying to do to the next gen. is try and bring everyone up to speed with online gaming, i doubt sony will do as much online or if they even need to because of the playstation's devoted fanbase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

the 360s gpu is simialar to the ati X1800XT 512meg is it not? thats a €565.00 graphics card

i love PC's and i love consoles (all of them) but saying the 360 is NOT a next gen r has out of date spec is very foolish

your right, the people saying it's not "next-gen" ... define next-gen? games have reached a level now, were they just look amazing, take half-life2, or pgr3, or FEAR the future of "next-gen" gaming is in high definition tv's, theres only so much niceness you can get from normal, analog tv's, both ps3 and xbox 360 and revolution, there will only be tiny differences in actual graphical abilty, it's all about HD now, xbox360, and future consoles like ps3 are at a level were the console has did as much possible, HDTV's are the key to next-gen gaming.

• Advertisement

if you can affored one:(

I can't!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sar!

Absolutely agree Grumpy..
    However i also think the key to a great game on the next gen consoles is superior AI - you have to feel like you are playing against an almost real opponent - as if there really is someone behind all your opponents controlling them as in Xbox Live. HD totally adds to this realism factor but wont help much if the game aint good to begin with ALA Perfect DArk Zero which is extremely poor...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I think its obvious that without HD, 360 games only look marginally better than the xbox games they are ports of.

And I still dont get why there is no first-party keyboard and mouse so that consoles can take over the PC fps/rts/strategy markets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

it does have usb ports as does the ps3 and im sure the rev will too so id say they will all release offical keyboard and mouse or perhaps wireless?

Sar! wrote:
    Absolutely agree Grumpy..
    However i also think the key to a great game on the next gen consoles is superior AI - you have to feel like you are playing against an almost real opponent - as if there really is someone behind all your opponents controlling them as in Xbox Live. HD totally adds to this realism factor but wont help much if the game aint good to begin with ALA Perfect DArk Zero which is extremely poor...

AI is a factor of course buddy, and i know a nice expensive, HDTV isnt gnna solve that, but AI is up to the developer, half-life2 = good, any ubisoft game= terrible, (playing rainbow 6, enemy saw me, threw a grenade at his leg, i kid you not) and not directly related to MS console, but considering perfect dark is published by them, i suppose thats there fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

it does have usb ports as does the ps3 and im sure the rev will too so id say they will all release offical keyboard and mouse or perhaps wireless?
    Heres hoping. Cant help feeling it will be an afterthought at best, same as it was on the other platforms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I'm not sure how well a mouse and keyboard add on would sell. People who like that control method will already have a gaming PC. To me a console is about sitting comfortable on the couch, not having to sit up at a desk, and I'm happy to stick with dual analog sticks for controlling FPS type games.

What Nintendo are doing could be interesting though, have to wait and see there.

It would be handy for Football Manager!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Eire05

Definitely! That's one type of game that would entice me to buy a mouse/keyboard. Then imo there'd be no point in playing games on the pc ever again. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement