Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

xbox 360, whats the fuss?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Exactly...f*ckin love that game. when is it released on the 360 and what's it meant to be like? A feck, I'll just go to it's website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Are the cores and premiums the exact same consoles,just the premium has many more accessories? Anyone know where I can get a Core?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Sweet wrote:
    Are the cores and premiums the exact same consoles,just the premium has many more accessories? Anyone know where I can get a Core?

no, one is the 360, and one is the 720 :rolleyes: ............ there both the same, just premium is better value, as it comes with more extra stuff.

Does the core support wireless controllers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

yes, its the exact same console! just without a HD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,966 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

the only diff to the machines is that the premium has a silver dvd tray, the core's is white plastic. Besides that they're the same.

To get a core to a premium you have to:

Get a HD (+100)
    Get a wireless controller (core's is wired) (+10 diff)
    Get a headset (+25)
    Get a hd-av cable (+25)
    Get a remote (time limited, the premium will not always contain the remote)(+25)

So in total a ~€85 difference from the premium, or €185 from the core.

The peripheral prices can be +/- 5 or 10 euro from above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Sweet wrote:
    Does the core support wireless controllers?
    iv'e been patient, but my god, your an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

Does anybody know when dead or alive4 is out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Have to say I found all the "wasn't blown away" comments in the earlier pages funny. Honestly people what were you expecting?

The graphics at teh moment on the xbox are class and we are getting pretty close to what we can do graphically. As always early titles for the 360 are good but not great, same as with xbox and yes gasp, the saviour of humanity some like to call the ps2. The graphics on early ps2 games and xbox were good but not great. Look at the difference between say halo and halo2. Look at Doom3 and HL2.

What were we all expecting, 3d projection? As someone said, everyone going on ah 360 doesn't look great I'll wait for the ps3. Looking at schematics the graphics chip in the 360 is marginally better than the ps3 so what are you expecting from that? As someone already said, are you all expecting the ps3 to turn you sitting room into a hallo deck?

Oh btw, MS released a keyboard and mouse for the xbox when halo came out in the Us. It didn't sell at all so they pulled it. I guess a keyboard and mouse doesn't work as well sitting on the couch as it does on a desk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

bring on 3d gaming with the goggles. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Brock

like said previously here one of the main factors of teh next gen war will be online capability and i think this is wire MS will knock sony out of the water, I have had this console 3 days and i am still finding things to do on live its a excellent advance on live on xbox.
    IMO online game is the next big thing that can happen on consoles graphics will not be much diff between the two so i think people who wait for a console because NFS may look better is simply being a bit daft. If sony release there console with a xbox live type online set up it could get interesting if not i think it could be there downfall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

astrofool wrote:
    the only diff to the machines is that the premium has a silver dvd tray, the core's is white plastic. Besides that they're the same.

To get a core to a premium you have to:

Get a HD (+100)
    Get a wireless controller (core's is wired) (+10 diff)
    Get a headset (+25)
    Get a hd-av cable (+25)
    Get a remote (time limited, the premium will not always contain the remote)(+25)

So in total a ~€85 difference from the premium, or €185 from the core.

The peripheral prices can be +/- 5 or 10 euro from above.

Well i bought the hard drive - €120.

Also got a wireless controller, certainly not €10. More like €50 :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

Also must say GFX on PD0 are stunning. Same with COD2. And i agree with all the reviews that COD2 is far superior on the 360 than on the PC and i've played both extensively now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

ianmc38 wrote:
    Also got a wireless controller, certainly not €10. More like €50 :eek:

I think he means the price difference between a standard (wired) controller and wireless is about 10 euro.
    You get a wired controller with the core pack, but a wireless one with the premium, so he's counting up the difference.

(I have to say though, I love the wireless controller. The controller itself is really really nice but wireless? Very handy turning on the XB360 without ever even getting off the couch ;) Definitely prefer the bumper buttons to the old black/white ones)

PDZ's graphics are nice, they're pretty, but personally I was more impressed with Condemned's graphics. Not as shiney/fancy, but it's gritty and realistic, it feels creepy and disturbing even when nothing is happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭glimmerman

iregk wrote:
    Have to say I found all the "wasn't blown away" comments in the earlier pages funny. Honestly people what were you expecting?

The graphics at teh moment on the xbox are class and we are getting pretty close to what we can do graphically. As always early titles for the 360 are good but not great, same as with xbox and yes gasp, the saviour of humanity some like to call the ps2. The graphics on early ps2 games and xbox were good but not great. Look at the difference between say halo and halo2. Look at Doom3 and HL2.

What were we all expecting, 3d projection? As someone said, everyone going on ah 360 doesn't look great I'll wait for the ps3. Looking at schematics the graphics chip in the 360 is marginally better than the ps3 so what are you expecting from that? As someone already said, are you all expecting the ps3 to turn you sitting room into a hallo deck?

Oh btw, MS released a keyboard and mouse for the xbox when halo came out in the Us. It didn't sell at all so they pulled it. I guess a keyboard and mouse doesn't work as well sitting on the couch as it does on a desk.

No. I was expecting NEXT GEN. If I cough up E409 for a NEXT GEN console, I expect NEXT GEN graphics. 3d holograms would be nice. Thats next gen. But I'd settle for obviously superior graphics and sound. Which for owners of SD sets, is conspicously missing, sadly.

MS dropped the ball. Thats why they've started hyping HD. Cos thats the only way they can see their console being accepted. For the rest of us here in Europe, the only reason to buy a 360 for the next 2 years until HD becomes more available, is just to get the latest releases. So another 2 years of XBox standard graphics doesn't appeal, especially at the current price of E409.

And for what its worth, I'm not a hater. I'd buy the xbox in a second if I thought I would see an major improvement. Money is not really the problem with the xbox, its the fact that I can't see enough of a difference with current gen to justify the cost of both the console and the enormously expensive games for it.

I really just cant see the point of view that its worth it if you have an SD set.

• Advertisement

hm so im taking it that xbox graphics are crap then? the current graphics on the xbox are class and I personally think there is plenty of life left in the old dog yet. So another two years of that machine, i wouldn't mind.

They have started to hype hd as like i said, we are getting to the edge of where graphics can take us and we need external influences (HD TV's) to push it on that little bit more. This is not MS fault, its just the way things are going. Its all very well having a graphics chip that can throw out so many pixels and light and shading etc... but what use is that if your tv cannot display it?

As for settling for superior graphics and sound, i take it you haven't played PGR? The graphics and sound on that I can tell you are pure class. Now as with any console your not going to get the true graphic power out of it until mid next year when developers really get to grips with it.

Also "until hd becomes more available" i take it you haven't been in a tv shop in a while?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I think he was referring to HD content rather than HD capable TVs.

iregk wrote:
    hm so im taking it that xbox graphics are crap then? the current graphics on the xbox are class and I personally think there is plenty of life left in the old dog yet. So another two years of that machine, i wouldn't mind.

They have started to hype hd as like i said, we are getting to the edge of where graphics can take us and we need external influences (HD TV's) to push it on that little bit more. This is not MS fault, its just the way things are going. Its all very well having a graphics chip that can throw out so many pixels and light and shading etc... but what use is that if your tv cannot display it?

As for settling for superior graphics and sound, i take it you haven't played PGR? The graphics and sound on that I can tell you are pure class. Now as with any console your not going to get the true graphic power out of it until mid next year when developers really get to grips with it.

Also "until hd becomes more available" i take it you haven't been in a tv shop in a while?

I've no problem with current gen consoles and their graphics. I DO have a problem with paying for a nextgen console at stupid prices for very little gain on a SD set. There really isn't that much difference between current xbox graphics on SD, and xbox 360 graphics on SD.
    I've got no problem waiting 2 years for HD to become more available (by more available I mean priced suitably for us poor people, I KNOW they are available, just insanely priced, and completely underutilised in Europe by broadcasters).

By the same token, I'm expecting a simialr situation when the PS3 comes out. I doubt it will have a radically different set of graphics when compared with the PS2 when both are compared on an SD set. HD is the way to go. Sadly the console makers are out of synch with whats happening in Europe HD-wise. Its going to be at least 2 years before HD sets become common. Maybe longer.

And in the meantime all of us with SD will be playing the same old games with the same old graphics similar to "lastgen", only we will have paid stupid amounts for the console at launch, or worse continually paid stupid amounts over the odds for more expensive games, who's extra value is only apparent to people with HD sets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

iregk wrote:
    As someone said, everyone going on ah 360 doesn't look great I'll wait for the ps3. Looking at schematics the graphics chip in the 360 is marginally better than the ps3 so what are you expecting from that? As someone already said, are you all expecting the ps3 to turn you sitting room into a hallo deck?

ps3's nvidia RSX chip isn't finished. a comparison is hardly warranted there.

lets face facts, microsoft have done a good job and made a solid console that will eventually get some incredible games onto it (halo3 better be good, and substancially better then halo2). however, playing it (i have the premium pack) doesn't make me feel like i own the technology of the future. which is what the ps2/xbox made me feel. it has to make you believe you're sitting in front of a supercomputer capable of unbelievable feats that your PC just can't do.

360 fails on this front. it is a next gen console, no doubt. but compare videos from ps3 and 360 (particularly the one on both consoles that has mechs). the difference is quite clear there. and it's from a company that's not affiliated to either sony or microsoft.

360 is a next gen console, but ps3 is beyond...

So after all this ranting you're probably wondering what exactly it is I want for SD owners?

Well in my opinion the nextgen consoles and games sould take into account this "two tier" split between HD users and SD users.

I'd like to see games sold in two tiers: HD ready and SD. And naturally I want to see a price difference between the two tiers.

HD games can have all the fancy HD graphics, but of course you will pay E70 for them. SD versions of the same game I want to see at E50.

For me its a value driven thing. I won't get value for a HD ready console for 2 years. And I REALLY don't want to pay E70 for games I think are only worth E50 in terms of what value I get from them on my SD set.

• Advertisement

ps3's nvidia RSX chip isn't finished. a comparison is hardly warranted there.

however, playing it (i have the premium pack) doesn't make me feel like i own the technology of the future. which is what the ps2/xbox made me feel. it has to make you believe you're sitting in front of a supercomputer capable of unbelievable feats that your PC just can't do.

nvidia's chip is finished and has alread been signed off. also capable of feats your pc just can't do. This is potentially the first gen that beats a pc at launch. Even then the ps3 and 360 graphics processors are all ready out of date when compared to what you can get for the pc (all be it that comes in at about €700 for the graphics alone!)

Being a pc gamer for years the ps2 was laughable graphics wise at launch compared to what my pc could do. The xbox was closer to the mark but I knew the pc could better it.

Glimmerman the last two posts you've cleared the argument up and have fairly valid points relating to HD in europe and I do agree with you there. For me the PS3 and 360 are more of the same only more power. The Rev for me is the only one that truely is nex gen.

iv'e been patient, but my god, your an idiot.

I'm gettin' a bit sick of you.Ignore:Irish Grumpy activated. Your statements live up to your name anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭air_vent

iregk wrote:
    . The Rev for me is the only one that truely is nex gen.

Exactly people you've been going on about how you want next gen, Well the "revolution" is it its different and what is needed.

For all those fools who still believe Sony Hype machine after their "emotion Syntheysiser" jive need a slap. What we have here is quite simple.

Xbox360 and PS3 similar power and capabilities. Each processor set up is different and has strengths and weaknesses, Xbox has better on chip memory compared to PS3.

PS3 is a mammoth of a machine and has too much expensive stuff in it, 8 woreless controllers, SD, USB ports and not to mention the almightly expensive and illusive Blu-Ray disks ( not necessary). This is like sony and thier god dammed artac encoding, just trying to push another one of their bit of kit. Remember DVD is so popular today due to the PS2.

Revolution is the next gen system not a beffed up current gen console. Look at it simple and creative and makes you want to play it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Alnilam

Howdy all, I'm new to boards and this is my very first post. I felt I had to post on this thread cause there's a lot of opinions been voiced and I though I might as well throw my 2 cents in ;)

The x-box 360 is something that I have been looking into for a while and unfortunatly didn't make the decision to buy until it was to late to get a pre-order hence my disapointment at the mo but I'll get one soon enough. I have been a gamer since the late 70's so lets just say I'm over 30 and I played pong when it was new! (to ireland anyways)

The reason I want a 360 is simple it's a next gen game console but strangely that's not the only reason. I have a windows media centre PC. the 360 will give me the same features as my MCE PC wherever it is. on top of that it's a stonking games console.

To the people that are slaggin the 360 off I'm gonna take a guess it's for 1 or more of these 3 reasons

1) No HDTV
    2) No Broadband
    3) A stonking €2K+ game PC

To point 1 this is the first time that a console has asked me to upgrade my Tv and well I bought a HD set when my old one died about 6 months ago

Point 2 well this is an issue which is dividing ireland into the haves and the have nots but from what I've read about live on the 360 don't bother getting one if you don't got it, a bit like an MCE PC really.

and to point 3 well congratulations you have a big pc which Microsoft got at least €50.00 of your money if you run windows (prolly more) the 360 costs MS money to sell! and it costs less than a decent bleedin Graphics card!!!

yes there is sod all benefit graphics wise if your on an SDTV set but how many pc gamers run any game at 640x480 res with 50Hz refresh? that's what an SDTV runs at!

I have been a Playstation fan since the original one hit the shelves and I'm a bit misty eyed making the change but the only game I have bought for my PS2 I couldn't have had on an xbox was Gran Tourismo and to be honest Sony have destryed a great franchise by lying to there customers about features that will be supported in GT4 and then "pulling" them a few weeks prior to launch (online gaming & Vehicle damage)

So to summarise goodbye to PC gaming, goodbye to my Playstation 2 and Hello to my x-box 360 (whenever I can finally get one) and congratulations to Microsoft on a job very very well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

glimmerman wrote:
    Well in my opinion the nextgen consoles and games sould take into account this "two tier" split between HD users and SD users.

that would mean having to spend even more time on the games to ensure it will work on both HD and SD which would mean, even more expensive.
    and whats the point? SD is out of date and they have reached the limit with it. HD will (already has) go down in price and sky HD is comming out next year. so i really dont c wat u are getting at? would u perfer if we still had black and white tvs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    that would mean having to spend even more time on the games to ensure it will work on both HD and SD which would mean, even more expensive.
    and whats the point? SD is out of date and they have reached the limit with it. HD will (already has) go down in price and sky HD is comming out next year. so i really dont c wat u are getting at? would u perfer if we still had black and white tvs?

Nope programmers don't have to do anything for HD to run on SD. HD will downscale to SD to suit that particular resolution. No extra gimmicks needed.

While the Revolution may be the most 'revolutionary' out of the lot,I dont fancy standing up and swinging my arm frantically to play a game.How will the Revolutions controller accommodate The Legend Of Zelda?

alright that was an assumption :D but complaining about how they are only really aiming at HD is abit stupid its the future and they are not that dear any more! u can get a 26" LG for 1049! not that long ago a 32" widescreen crt cost about the same.... and they will go down more after christmas

Sweet wrote:
    How will the Revolutions controller accommodate The Legend Of Zelda?
    u can still use the gamecube controller wit the rev ;)

Advertisement