Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best car for dogs?

• 02-12-2005 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

I'm sort of half kind of thinking of changing my car some time in the possible near future maybe.

I'd like to get one (should I do so) that could have a grille and a section at the back for the dog/s.

Recommendations, please. Of course, for preference I'd like a Saab. But then for preference I'd prefer not to pay a huge amount either.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

what kind of doggies? my two labs sit on the back seat of my polo quite happily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Get yourself a w124 e class mercedes estate, very posh!

estate1.jpg

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Yeah, the merc looks ideal, where can I get one for about €1k, please?

My dog (collie-lab cross) loves the back seat. But it's a little dangerous, as she likes to come into the front and lick my ears when I'm trying to concentrate on driving; also humans don't usually like to sit where she's been shedding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

You can get doggie seat belts that might be safer than a grille, if you were to have an accident the dog wouldn't go flying forward into the grille.

http://www.pet-bliss.com/acatalog/For_the_Car.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

luckat wrote:
    Yeah, the merc looks ideal, where can I get one for about €1k, please?

erm...well I would'nt even try find such a car for a grand as it'll be badly neglected!

Mike.

• Advertisement

Twas a joke, Mike!

Yes, I've tried those doggie seat belts; my dog finds them absolutely delicious. I think I tried three before giving up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

luckat wrote:
    my dog finds them absolutely delicious. I think I tried three before giving up.

lol! :)

the rac to a grid that goes between the front seats to keep dogs in the back.... I had a "thing" dunno what it's called that clips onto the 4 headrests and covers my back seats so that they don't get covered in dog hair - it's very easy to fit & remove for back seat passengers.....

in my opinion if someone is getting a lift in my car they get to put up with the dog hair or find an alternative method of transport:eek: but that's just me

I decided against this grid for two reasons, Tabitharose. Oh no, three. The first was that it didn't fit my car (a Toyota Corolla). The second was that I often have *both* people *and* dog in the car. The third was that I hate the idea of a grid right behind me.

What I'm looking for is something with an open boot that I can use for doggie storage, and fit with a grid.

that's me clean out of suggestions so.....:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Opel Corsas are a compact affordable car but if you take the boot cover off and put a dog grill on the boot will comfortably fit a collie sized dog. Someone might be able to weld it on so it's more secure because they can coem loose. A corsas back seats will fold so you could fit a dog crate in the boot/back. The smaller dog crates fit in the back seat without folding them down. Another alternative is the Hi-Craft seat belts or the RAC seat belts, some dogs can wriggle out of them but generally they don't unless left in the car on their own. They are very comfortable and a safe way to transport dogs.
    Pet bliss sell a lot of dog car stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The only grids that really make sense are those that you bolt into the back of your car and that are custom built for the car (they usually fit into the anchor points for seats/ seatbelts/ grabhandles, are very sturdy, but still removable, if needs be). Anthing "one size fits all" is basically not worth its money because all these yokes collapse in a crash (or just on their own) and are downright dangerous. Nets are just for show.

A mid size dog, shooting upfront in a 50 km/h collision WILL break its neck and YOURS ...same goes for any loose crates.

From that point of view only an estate car makes real sense ...separate boot for the doggy ...separate seats for people and custom built grids are available for most non-obscure makes (ask the relevant dealer / motor factor beforehand)

I've seen two nice-looking cars: the Saab 9.5 OT SE, and the Mazda Demio.

Peasant, which cars have custom-made grilles, please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Surely there is only one winner, a Rover ????? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Luckat

Saab certainly do ...but the best thing is to check with a dealership before you buy any make of car.

(I had to import my grid and boot cover from the continent ...wouldn't sell it here ...bloody expensive that was (Suzuki))

A few other estate cars that I have seen driving around with proper grids fitted:

Opel Astra
    Ford Focus
    VW Golf
    Subaru Legacy
    Mercedes E-class

Rover, heh!

The Mercs seem to be a teenshy bit above my spending level, unless anyone can point me to a rich, adoring sugar-daddy.

Thanks for these; I'll add them to my Carzone drool list.

Advertisement