Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stolen ... BMW + laptop

Options
  • 02-12-2005 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭

Mods feel free to move this ...

Hi all .. yes yet another stolen car... not brand new but my pride and joy

Stolen from drimnagh on the Canal

its a 316i 92-G-3515 ... metallic navy ... has a slight knock on the drivers side and hubcaps do not match on the drivers side...

I think I dropped my keys while getting stuff from the boot around drimnagh ... was only gone away from it for 5 mins before realizing i didnt have my keys. :(

laptop was in the boot also .. ibook g4 white and usb poratble hard disk ..

Really appriciate if anyone hears or sees it ..

Thanks in advance

Steve

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Sorry to hear that, any pics of it? It sounds more like opportunists so hopefully should turn up in good nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

Just got a report that it was being tailed by guards at about 11pm around Dolphins Barn ... guards reckon its parked up somewhere until things cool down for a few hrs.. heres crossing my fingies .. not holding up for anything left in it though, guess im lucky the christmas cops are out in force at least theres a little bit more of a chance..

Definetly sounds like the regular scum looking for friday night mayhem and saw an easy opportunity ... Im sure i pocketed the keys though .. and doubting that i left them in the lock looking back, guess i could have dropped em or they were picked though, just plain unlucky :confused:

But Damn i regret filling the tank on the way home :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Bad news. One moral is to do all your boot business off-site before you park the car up. If gougers see you at the boot, they get interested.

Not your ornery onager

No news yet im afraid .. and squirrel .. yup had plenty o' pics.. guess where they were though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

deevey wrote:
    Just got a report that it was being tailed by guards at about 11pm around Dolphins Barn ... guards reckon its parked up somewhere until things cool down for a few hrs.. heres crossing my fingies .. not holding up for anything left in it though, guess im lucky the christmas cops are out in force at least theres a little bit more of a chance..

Definetly sounds like the regular scum looking for friday night mayhem and saw an easy opportunity ... Im sure i pocketed the keys though .. and doubting that i left them in the lock looking back, guess i could have dropped em or they were picked though, just plain unlucky :confused:

But Damn i regret filling the tank on the way home :(

if it was being tailed by the guards, why the heck didnt they pull them? unless its being used for something more sinister at a later date?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Sorry to hear it deevey. I'll keep an eye out. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

ciarsd wrote:
    if it was being tailed by the guards, why the heck didnt they pull them? unless its being used for something more sinister at a later date?

em, maybe they tried but the fellas in the bmw might not have wanted to get arrested.:rolleyes: I bet they chased it but coppers only seem to be driving crap 1.4 focus' and corollas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

rondeco wrote:
    em, maybe they tried but the fellas in the bmw might not have wanted to get arrested.:rolleyes: I bet they chased it but coppers only seem to be driving crap 1.4 focus' and corollas

and that was a useful reply...how? :rolleyes:

with great respect to the owner of the BMW, I'm not so sure it could outrun the Garda cars. particularly the ones on patrol in and around the area where it was taken

Well the bad news so far is that no sign as yet, appriciate all the kind words though thanks for the support

Bad news is i found out that it was underinsured ... only 2k ... i know I asked for 3 but guess I never read the fine print after I recieved my preprinted proposal so yet more lessons to be learned from this, dont trust phone monkeys

.. so not even worthwhle claiming, I wouldnt even get the cost of laptop + bits, & my insurance would go up losing my first year no claims they will load me.

Worse news is a car a friend of mine "gave" me yesterday got broken into outside my house earlier tonight :O

Looks like they were disturbed by somone....they smashed the rear window and got as far as getting the ignition cover off thankfully did no more damage then that though..... just a bad week for me and cars :( ... only a 90 golf but ... crap crap and double crap!!!!!

Oh BTW .. it wasnt a fast car, not near as fast as a newer focus or cop car.. decent handling alright if you know how to handle it on corners .. just passed NCT, just taxed, just serviced and just gassed !!! .... ok going off to cry again...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Thats a real sh1t week you had !

Sorry to hear about it !

Cant you argue the market value, and were the contents of the car insured , you know .........................all those christmas pressies you bought, the three laptops, the diamond ring and all those leather jackets for your friends ?? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

also, it might be worth checking if the iBook was covered on your house insurance.....bummer mate, things can only get better!

unfortunatly the lappie isnt covered on the house insurance, either are any contents in the car at all..

Arguing maket value isnt even worth it... they sent a form .. i signed .. bottom line is whatever happens they will load me next year for near more than i get paid out, ..then i have to get a new lappie, car etc...i just couldnt afford it TBH.

read the fine print is all i'll say ..

Well as finalization to the story the car was found .... in the industrial estate down the road from me (knockmitten) .... Totally burned to a crisp ....

Didnt see anything in the boot like the laptop, or even a burnt motherboard so guess its gone. and boot was locked too so i guess somone intended to come back for it.

... asking around and it has been sitting up there from friday night..in perfect condition ... only burnt out last night which really pi$$es me off.

Thankfully quinn said they may give market value for the car just going to cross the fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Bummer - better luck with the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

deevey wrote:
    Totally burned to a crisp ....
    The fookers!
    Sh1t like that really pisses me off. I mean, whatever about taking it for a quick spin (still not right, but the lesser of the two evils), but what is the point of burning it? - IDIOTS.
    I have to say I am really sorry to hear this happen. I hope things go well for you on the insurance side.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,410 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

deevey wrote:
    Totally burned to a crisp ....

Sorry to hear :(

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

deevey wrote:
    Well as finalization to the story the car was found .... in the industrial estate down the road from me (knockmitten) .... Totally burned to a crisp ....
    Sorry to hear that.
    deevey wrote:
    Thankfully quinn said they may give market value for the car just going to cross the fingers.
    Get a load of comparative prices for the car and keep them on standby as Quinn may not value the car quite as much as others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Yeah like the guys I'm sorry to hear that news !

Now its time to get tough with the insurance company and argue the market value. Be prepared to hang up on them and let them stew for a while. Argue, shout , roar and ask to speak to the manager.............should get the figure up a few bob !!

Best of luck !

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

MercMad wrote:
    Argue, shout , roar and ask to speak to the manager.............should get the figure up a few bob !!
    Remember though that the operator will have little or no decision making power so there is no point losing the head with them. If they won't co-operate then just insist on speaking to their supervisor.

operator was cool really,asked / recorded details of what happened, what type of condition etc.... like you say not up to her though,

Next step is dealing with the assessor on monday /tues ..he/she will make market value discisions..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Next step is dealing with the assessor on monday /tues ..he/she will make market value discisions..
    ...mmm I wonder what the curent market value of blackened steel is!!

My first car was a 1988 Renault 5, insured for no more than a grand I think. In late 90's I bought my punto new and advised the insurance company. It was 6 months before I relealised that it was only insured for 1K also! I contacted the insurance company and they adjusted the policy and didn't charge me any extra for it as they said upfront that it was their fault(fair play Axa). It just goes to show you have to be vigilant, its easy to oversee something like this.

Advertisement