Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I buy System Shock 1 & 2 re-releases?

Options
  • 03-12-2005 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

Please tell me: Where can I get re-releases of System Shock 1 and 2 for PC, preferably in contemporary DVD cases etc? In a shop, I mean, not eBay.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

AFAIK the system shock games have been abandoned and are now freely available to download :D

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭TheWolf

Here ya go

System Shock

and

System Shock 2

:v:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Thanks, that must be great for people who live where broadband is available (like foreign countries). Unfortunately I'm living in Ireland where I do not have broadband and may never have broadband because the telecommunications infrastructure belongs to one company which was privatised by Fianna-Fáil-PDs at the start of the IT revolution.

No retail versions available at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

request for someone to download and send it to you in the file sharing forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i have system shock 2 lying around somewhere
    would happily whack a copy in the post for you if you pm me your addy...

don't think i ever got the abandonware version of ss1 working though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

whats so good about this game anyway ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

beats me... i never even got around to playing it:p
    it's supposed to be scary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I've read that system shock 2 doesn't work on XP, at least not without some hit 'n miss workarounds. :/
    I'd say check it out before buying it... maybe the re-releases have fixed it, I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Lies, Lies!

Tomfoolery and lies!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Bert Fever

Placebo wrote:
    whats so good about this game anyway ?

Honestly SS1 is of the best games ever for the PC. Great music, great story, decent gfx for the day and some other nice features... Really well worth playing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

I've read that system shock 2 doesn't work on XP, at least not without some hit 'n miss workarounds. :/
    I'd say check it out before buying it... maybe the re-releases have fixed it, I dunno.

System Shock 2 works fine for me in XP straight from install. System Shock 1 however took a bit of effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I tried SS2 A few years ago. All I remember was running around on a space ship clubbing zombies of some sort with a wrench. I didn't enjoy myself. Then I gave up...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Zillah wrote:
    I tried SS2 A few years ago. All I remember was running around on a space ship clubbing zombies of some sort with a wrench. I didn't enjoy myself. Then I gave up...

Turn the difficulty up and feel the fear (especially if you're a weedy engineering type like I always am)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

bazH wrote:
    request for someone to download and send it to you in the file sharing forum

File sharing forum? That's a new one - where does it lurk?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

jimi_t wrote:
    File sharing forum? That's a new one - where does it lurk?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=429

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Beecher wrote:
    System Shock 2 works fine for me in XP straight from install.
    Cool, so was this the retail boxed version? or the abandonware one?
    I always wanted to give System Shock 2 a try, but between the XP issues I've heard about and the poxy 7KB/sec I get from the underdogs, I've not yet bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Just got SS2 from the above link averaging about 25kb/s. Game runs fine on XP.

EDIT: OK, actually started the singlegame proper just now. Doesn't work, shuts down after the first level loads. Video driver issues :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Try the .torrent link from the Underdogs site. I pulled down SS1 @ ~25kb last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Bert Fever

Fidelis wrote:
    Try the .torrent link from the Underdogs site. I pulled down SS1 @ ~25kb last night.

Good Jerb ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

You know that System Shock 2 isnt really a legal download?

There are no titles in the Electronic Arts library that they consider to be abandonware.
    Official word from Irrational: "No, System Shock 2 is not abandonware, please don't warez it"

The first game's a different story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

EDIT: OK, actually started the singlegame proper just now. Doesn't work, shuts down after the first level loads. Video driver issues :/

Yep, I had the same when I reinstalled it a few months ago. I managed to fix it though with a trawl through the websites/patching.

The crash youre talking about - if its the same as plagued me - can be fixed by going into the game as far as the menu, then calling up system manager and going into proccesses, right clicking the systemshock2 program and setting affinity to one cpu or the other ( SS2 apparently wasnt built for more than one cpu). Then go back into ss2 and continue as normal. Unfortunately youll have to do this every time you start the game, but it takes 10 seconds...Theres a somewhat illegal(?) method to fix the game so it permamently goes to one cpu but hardly worth the bother tbh.

Some enterprising soul also created an improved .exe to launch the game from, apparently cures texture memory errors - theres no readme really, but I use it and it works fine...you can get it here. Just put it in the same folder the .exe is and change your shortcut to point to that .exe

If the above doesnt work, you can try a trip through here where just about every attempted fix known to man is detailed (including a fix for graphic corruption that jumped up when radiation made an appearance).

The textures upgrade which make the graphics slightly less hideous is here

Rebirths here, replaces a lot of the old monster skins with new ones. Still no F.E.A.R in terms of graphics but better than whats on offer out of the box.
    Turn the difficulty up and feel the fear (especially if you're a weedy engineering type like I always am)

I always liked the Many, with their chit chat "The Many sings to us - the harmony is disturbed!!!".

I think the best part of the game is the way the enemy keep respawning, you cant really let your guard down and think "this is safe!" AvP1 had something similar, as a marine if you tried to hide the game would keep throwing new drones at you until you started moving so you had to keep moving even if you didnt want to. Hmmmm, an Aliens survival style game paying homage to SS2, as opposed to Doom. Thatd be nice.

Advertisement