Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Car - Toldeo VS Passat TDi

Options
  • 03-12-2005 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭

Hello,

My dad has got rid of his laguna, And has had a Brand new 05 toledo Tdi 104 BHP model for test drive for past 2 days, Just gone back today. To our shock, It went like the clappers. The car is lovely, Full spec with Cruise control, 16" alloys, Climate control etc etc... Beautiful car to drive, Nice and high up inside. this is the exact car we have from Whie bishop, It really looks well up in person : http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=273571

To be exact, this is the model Toldeo it was,
    toledo.jpg

But also, as the toldeo has gone back.. He still hasnt made his mind up whether to get the toldeo, or the Passat.

Passat would be one along these lines. He is on his way out tomorrow to test drive a few and see what deals he can get.
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=300619 He is going for one like that. Not the brand new model, But the previous one. an 05 full spec 100 BHP TDi. But we seriously dont know what to go for

He has had a few of his friends out who own TDI passats, and they really liked the toledo, If I am correct doesnt the toledo and the passat have the same engine basically ? But anyway.. Most people said the toledo is amuch more niftier car and handles alot better.

But also the passat is nice.. The quality inside is alot better then the toledo.. The toledo is a bit plasticy. We really don't know what to go for..

So Can I please get some tips on either of them. Pros and Cons. There really isnt a whole lot of the new toledo's around, which is what we like about it... Its more unique and gets alot of people looking at the car sitting at the lights. Its got lovel body styling I think. But I dont know ...

Please throw forward some tips, and what either of the cars quality and performance is like. Im really intrested in seeing the Passats power behind the wheel, If the 100 BHP model is anywhat decent ?

EDIT : Price range is around the 28K mark, No more, Give or take 1-2 K and a trade in for his laguna, getting around 9K for the laguna We reckon, from getting quotes from various places. 01 new model, Estate with 16" alloys, Xenon lights, Climate control.. Large sunroof. Full spec Laguna. So thats the budget.

Any other Cars out there also that yous may suggest, Fire away but dont suggest cars like the avensis, Thats a big no no in my dads mind, He wont go near them although there top class reputation for reliability.

Anyway.. thanks in advance,

Hj

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Yes, it is a shame not to even look at the Avensis.

What about the Octavia, same engine as the Passat and Toledo, but finished better inside than both. You wouldnt need to spend 28k. You should get the Elegance model for less than 28k, which would have climate control etc etc

I dont like the Toledo, but that is just a personal opinion, it is probably a lovely car. The Passat is a lovely car, but perhaps a little dated looking at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I he likes the look of the previous generation Passat then take a look at the Skoda Superb. It is basically a stretched Passat using the same engines, gearboxes and most parts. The rear legroom in them has to be seen to be believed, it is huge, almost the same legroom as an S Class Merc. They are very well speced also.

I know this one is outside your budget and a bit expensive imo but it is just an example:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=327010

That is the 100bhp 1.9 Tdi but the 130bhp version of the same engine is the pick of the bunch. It has a 6 speed gear box and almost the same fuel economy but with extra power.

They start at about €28k new for the entry model diesel:
    http://www.carzone.ie/newcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Details&vehicle_id=54833220040601&strSpecs=SSCIRL2002

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

I have to admit that Superb is lovely looking, He had his eye on the Octavia a new TDi one, But Something about it, we decided no, Simply because most of the octavia's Tended to look a bit boring, Its hard to get a nice looking one IMO. Im not sure what he got done today, But hes down in wexford for the weekend looking down there, Illl give him a phone in a bit see where he stands. Im sure he will Buy one this weekend. Its just a matter of which.

What do you's think of the BHP 100 TDi's ?? Would anybody class them as Fast or torquey ?? Because I don't know if its just me, But I think they are little rockets for 100 BHP .. Whats your opinions ?

Hj

Just rang him, Bought this today.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=323202 He said thats the one he got but I wouldn't count on it. If not, Its the very same looking, he seem happy with it, It looks well IMO.

Hj

Lovely car.

There is only 4 BHP in the different engine you are talking about. The TDi is a pretty tunable engine and come in a variety of different outputs (only physical difference is the 110BHPs up have a variable geometry turbo, but i'm open to correction.)

• Advertisement

Alright, And you guys consider the 104 BHp engines to be good engines, Speed wise and acceleration Wise or is it just me imagining things, Always feel when you accelerate fast, that you are glued to the seat ;)

Hj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

The volkswagen TDI's are amazingly quick. I'm a sales rep and have had lots of different cars, from the avensis to the astra and currently a focus but the quckest thing I've had was one of those Club orange volkswagen caddys. 1.9 tdi and it went like a scalded cat

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

HungryJoey wrote:
    Always feel when you accelerate fast, that you are glued to the seat

ah yes, gotta love the torque from the VW TDI's :D Does the car have traction control? If your heavy footed watch out for wheelspin as the turbo kicks in. I'm getting Goodyear F1's next week cause I'm getting no grip from the economy tyres in the rain

http://www.upsolute.com/db/new/datenblatt_eng.php?ID_Marke=6&ID=854

You could in the future remap the car's ecu. You'll be amazed just how much more power you can gain from a simple upload of software. My Tdi went up from 110bhp to 141bhp and the torque shot up, totally different car tbh

Might mention it to him about Remapping it, How long does it take to get done and where do we go? and what kind of price are you looking at ?

Im not sure if they Comfort line comes with Traction control or not, Because IIRC he said he bought a Comfortline model, Im not sure. Ill find out.

And Yea, seen them Orange Caddy's going around, didn't think they were that fast ;)

Hj

HungryJoey wrote:
    Might mention it to him about Remapping it, How long does it take to get done and where do we go? and what kind of price are you looking at ?

Im not sure if they Comfort line comes with Traction control or not, Because IIRC he said he bought a Comfortline model, Im not sure. Ill find out.

And Yea, seen them Orange Caddy's going around, didn't think they were that fast ;)

Hj

Personally I wouldn't be in any rush to go remapping if the car has power enough already (and having often driven an A4 with the same engine, I think it does). You are only going to take a hit on fuel consumption (correct me, but the laws of physics would suggest this to be the case). I know with tractors and machines any modification to the engine makes the machine far harder to sell on.

Most Caddys have an old golf engine, a TDi in one is rare enough. Hell it must be fast though, it is pretty much an engine inside in a empty metal box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

All Passats had VW's version of Traction Control from 2004 I think. There should be a switch somewhere for it on the dashboard. Look for a switch named E.S.P. or something similar.

With regards getting a ECU remap just take note that this may have implecations with the manufacturer's warranty.

bazz26 wrote:
    With regards getting a ECU remap just take note that this may have implecations with the manufacturer's warranty.

yea thats right, its not all good news. Personally I would wait till the warranty is out of date or coming close, especially if your currently happy with the acceleration and power. Insurance will go up aswell. Also in my experiance the car becomes harder to drive at low speeds, as it becomes a lot more aggressive and throttle responsive

Oh I got it done by www.logicautomotive.com for 360 euro. Job took about 2 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 65,408 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ando wrote:
    yea thats right, its not all good news. Personally I would wait till the warranty is out of date or coming close, especially if your currently happy with the acceleration and power. Insurance will go up aswell. Also in my experiance the car becomes harder to drive at low speeds, as it becomes a lot more aggressive and throttle responsive

And torque steer would become even more of a problem on FWD diesel cars
    ando wrote:
    Oh I got it done by www.logicautomotive.com for 360 euro. Job took about 2 hours

A lot of performance for money :)

Definetly he shouldnt get it done, Anyway he knows its always an option for later on.

Hj

Advertisement