Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

portforwarding....

• 03-12-2005 1:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

I upgraded the firmware on my netopia wireless modem (from eircom) and since then I haven't successfully created any port forwards. It's particularly Azareus I want to get working.

I've 2 port forwards, both for 65000, one UDP and one TCP pointing to my static IP address, 192.168.1.200.
    I set the DHCP service on the router to end at .199
    I'm using windows firewall and have exceptions for azareus.exe, javaw.exe and one each for port 65000 UDP and TCP.
    I turned off upnp in azareus on the advice of a post here from ages ago.

I really think it should be working by now! I still get NAT error and no green smiles.
    Has anyone figured this out already?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭g2e

go to the netopia settings - firewall, set to low..i think its default is high which doesnt allow for port forwarding...low allows port forward but still keeping any information about your computer secure + you have a windows firewall up.

oh and if that works can you tell me kindof speeds your downloading at

the most i got was 78KB/s

not bad but not the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Maybe something here might help if you haven't already seen it? There should be settings for azureus in here.

Netopia routers are listed.

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭alantc

The firewall was on medium so I changed it to low. Still no joy. I'll try it at off later on. I had done what the portforward.com instructions said... the site must've been updated recently, they used to only have the older firmware there.

78k is amazing! I'm using a 1meg line but connecting to the router wirelessley, and with NAT errors I get 10-15!!! (latest java too)

>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

what are the NAT errors for, i did exactly what you did and gained good speed and errors were not really effecting my downloads so i turned off notifications, although now ive noticed my speeds just go to 0 bytes sometimes !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭alantc

Sorry, bad punctuation. I should have put a . and a few ks in there.

I'm using a 1meg line but connecting to the router wirelessley, and with NAT errors.

I get 10k-15k!!!

another thing, set your max uploads to 1, your better off doing this for each download...ive noticed even 1KB/s effects the download

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

g2e wrote:
    another thing, set your max uploads to 1, your better off doing this for each download...ive noticed even 1KB/s effects the download
    Yes that is correct but also is BT not for sharing?
    If everyone throttled their uploads like that BT would cease to exsist, why you have ratio rules on most proper sites and why on unratio sites such as torrent spy you get **** speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Yeah but if you are flooding your upload bandwidth competely then you will get minimal download speeds (which doesn't help anyone really as you haven't got anything to share). So limit your upload to something sensible that is below your max upload and things may improve. On a line with say 128kb upload you should probaby set upoad to about 8kb or 9kb and only run one torrent.

Another way to do this (on windows) is to use netlimiter (for any appication) but you are better off to just use something in your bittorrent client to set a max upload speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

I do agree with ya overall lol

• Advertisement

Anarchist wrote:
    Yes that is correct but also is BT not for sharing?
    If everyone throttled their uploads like that BT would cease to exsist, why you have ratio rules on most proper sites and why on unratio sites such as torrent spy you get **** speeds.

yeah, true but i usually leave my downloads running over nite or while im in work. so once its downloaded its seeds for about 3/4 hours at full speed

thats the problem with dsl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

I have the exact same problems as the original poster, same router, same firmware, on Azureus. I really need to get this sorted, Im getting 1-5kB/s.

It seems to be the UDP that wont work.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I've got the 3347, and i've had downloads of 100 something anyway. I've only just recently set up port forwarding from this thread. Limit your upload to 8 though.

Is the xp firewall stil on?

Advertisement