Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killing off Nettles, Grass etc

Options
  • 03-12-2005 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hello

I want to dig up my garden and dig up the roots of all the weeds that I don't want to deal with again next year. Although my garden isn't huge by any stretch of the imagination, it still is fairly high maintenance & I'd like to have it in better shape come Spring.

I bought Roundup Biactive and was wondering how best to use it. I was told to put the roundup over the section with the nettles/weeds and just turn the rest of it & let it die off between now and Spingtime, It doesn't tell me if I can grow grass or not after a few months [on the standard Roundup it tells you not to put down grass seeds for 6 months.

If anybody has any tips they'd like to share I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Does it really all need to be dug up?
    Youd be amazed at what you can come back from with a little care (shovel, seed, rake & topsoil/compost)
    Its not going to look its best this time of year no matter what you do, mine was great at summer/autumn but has gone a bit thin and thus weedy in patches.
    Come the Spring I'll go at it again.
    If you dig it all up the weeds will all just grow back, healthy thick grass cover is what kills weeds.
    Get a good mower and mow often never taking more than 1/3 off the grass.
    Break up and very bad bits and put down a mixture of seed/soil/compost water daily if you dont get rain and in a month or so you will be grand.

Take a pic before you start, I wish I had as you dont notice the daily changes...
    Good luck,

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Limey

There is some areas worse than others, one side is covered with nettles and the roots are very thick so I'll have to dig those up anyway for a start, apart from that it's mainly grass with some parts more prone to weeds but like you said I could just take those up and get grass growing there in the spring.

Thanks for your help so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

To be honest you're wasting your time now trying to kill weeds. Best time to kill them, believe it or not is when they are growing (Spring & Summer). I would wait till March and burn the fcukers out of it then, wait a week to 10 days, rotivate and seed.

I get my weed killer from my BIL who is a farmer...argricultural grade. Very little required to add with water and kills EVERYTHING in site. Always wear a mask when spraying weed killer, stand up wind, remove any pets & kids and wear some gloves.

Advertisement