Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomo Dachi 2006

Options
  • 03-12-2005 3:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

THE TD06 COMMITTEE ANNOUNCES TOMO-DACHI 2006 WITH STAR GUEST MISS TIFFANY GRANT

The United Kingdom 's newest 3-day anime convention

LONDONDERRY, UK, December 3rd 2005 – The Committee of Tomo-Dachi 2005 is pleased to announce the sequel convention Tomo-Dachi 2006, with an impressive line-up of events, screening and guests, including the first ever European convention appearance of voice actor and anime fan girl Tiffany Grant. http://www.tomo-dachi.com

CONVENTION INFORMATION
    The Tomo-Dachi Committee is pleased to announce the movement of venue for Tomo-Dachi 2006 to the University of Ulster , Magee Campus, Londonderry , Northern Ireland . We will be taking advantage of the facilities including a vast 300-seater Screening Theatre, vast screening rooms, and a more intimate screening theatre for the enjoyment of entire run anime series.

One of the University of Ulster's most impressive features is 1000 person capacity sport's hall turned dealer's area. Dealers will be invited to sell their products in an expansive hall with extra spacing for each dealer. Provided to attendees will be a 120 seater "Animecation" Suite, where many Japanese and anime themed classes, debates, lectures and panels will take place.

In addition to our highly popular "pure" anime events, TD06 will also offer large scale card gaming and video gaming events and facilities running officially sanctioned tournaments, freeplay and demonstrations held throughout. Officially sanctioned tournaments include Full Metal Alchemist, Yu-Gi-Oh and Magic: The Gathering, in addition to 4 large scale projected video gaming screens and 9 addition television units.

Tomo-Dachi Special Events
    Tomo-Dachi Special events include the first annual Anime Battle of the Bands – where local musical talents are pitted against each other in a fierce anime cover battle to the death (just kidding, near death) with the winners walking away with a substantial prize. Friday night is set to be cosy night together, with a special question and answer sessions, alongside traditional Irish music and lots of chill out events and activities. TD06 also offers all attendees free to access broadband Internet for the entire weekend in the University of Ulster 's modern I.T. Suites.

Artistically, Tomo-Dachi has it covered with the Tokyopop's Rising Stars of Manga competition winners and TokyoPop itself overseeing our Artist's Gallery, Japanese Kanji Calligraphy, Japanese Language lessons and a 600 title strong Manga, Anime and Japanese culture library.

Jonathan Clements will be providing two lectures at Tomo-Dachi, although unfinalised, these are thought to be, "The History of Anime" and "The Revolution of Digital Animation in Anime". On Saturday night he will also adorn us with his comedy talents with his "What Stupid People Say About Anime".

Other events include many Cosplay related activities such as Cosplay Theatre, Cosplay Chess and Cosplay Catwalk.

Cosplay
    Cosplayers will feel right at home at Tomo-Dachi with a number of events and activities set aside just for them aside from the obvious photo opportunities being the centre of attention.

The first Cosplay Catwalk to grace the Emerald Isles – show off your costume in style and lets our guest panel be the judges of who has the greatest Cosplay costume of Tomo-Dachi 2006!

Cosplay Theatre is your chance to become the character of your Cosplay. Left to the toilets and halls of other conventions, at Tomo-Dachi take centre stage as your favourite Cosplay character and re-enact their greatest triumphs or re-write in the live action version of fan-fiction!

Prizes will be given for the greatest comedies, actions and dramas that you guys can pull off!

GUESTS
    Tomo-Dachi will be hosting a large gathering of guests from the various areas of the anime and manga industry.

Guest of Honour, Ms Tiffany Grant
    In her first ever European Convention appearance, Ms Grant will adorn the Emerald Isle with her presence, and she invites anime fans from across the UK to join her!

Ms Grant became most famous (or infamous) for her role as Asuka in ADV Film's Neon Genesis Evangelion, since and before then she has lent her talented voice to many, various anime acting roles. Being one of the most respected anime voice actors in the world, Ms Grant will talk to everyone, sign almost anything and give you a unique insight into the world of creating Anime for the Western market.

Jonathan Clements
    Arguably the greatest anime academia in the UK, he has become most well known for co-writing the anime encyclopaedia and his monthly articles in Neo Magazine and Newtype USA . However, he has adorned his skills to many other professions including commentating in numerous Manga Entertainment titles, aswell as translation countless interviews, titles and manga, voice acting and directing and more recently the face and voice of anime related interviews on television and radio.

Rising Stars of Manga
    The UK hosted its first ever Rising Stars of Manga competition, run by Tokyopop, a brother to its US version - now this is your chance to meet them!
    Since we don't know who they are yet and they don't know that they have won either. Maybe it's you reading this that will be coming free of charge as our part of a special guest line-up!

Companies
    Many companies have already shown their support for Tomo-Dachi with many more still in negotiations. Already having confirmed their attendance will be Manga Entertainment's Jerome Mazandarani, ADV Film's Hugh David and Tokyopop's Andrew Whealen.

ACCOMODATION AND BOOKING

Tomo-Dachi onsite accommodation is just a few minutes walk away from the main convention venue. Each of the rooms is specially catered for comfort and includes complementary tea and coffee. TD Staff will also be adding free anime related good into every room – maybe its pocky, maybe it's a poster – it's all luck of the draw!

Just to encourage you to book early, the first 250 to book via our online registration system will receive a free upgrade to ensuite rooms.

Aswell as your room, each 8 of the rooms has a common area with comfy chairs, payphone and vending machine for those late night convention discussions about anime. In addition each common area has its own kitchen for all your customisable snacking purposes during the convention.

Accommodation rates are as follows;

Single night £25pp, two nights for £45pp, three nights for £65pp and finally, four nights for £85pp.

Convention Booking and Entrance Rates are as follows;

Single Day Pass £15pp, two day pass for £20pp with optional third day free with the two day pass (The Friday evening is free for person paying for a two-day pass).

Groups and Club Booking
    Tomo-Dachi encourages small and large groups and anime clubs to attend the event together and as such we provide special discounted rate for groups and club bookings

Groups of more than five, but less than ten @ entry at £17.50pp for the entire weekend

Groups of more than ten or clubs @ entry at £15pp for the entire weekend

ABOUT

Tomo-Dachi is a convention dedicated to pursuit of fandom and celebration of anime, manga and the related video gaming culture.

Tomo-Dachi was founded by the Derry Anime and Manga Association that headed the committee for the first Tomo-Dachi convention in 2005.

Tomo-Dachi was the first of its kind in local history with intentions of spreading its influences over Ireland and the United Kingdom

Further information on all of the events, guests and lots more including an online forum can be found at http://www.tomo-dachi.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Organising a group to go up from Dublin again - if anyones interested post and will give all the details closer to the con :)

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sme

given that they have tiffany grant, will dcu be getting allison keith for next years EirtaKon? one-up-manship, eh?
    although i know it will only be the second year for the con its totally unrealistic, but hey keep it up maybe you'll get toshio suzuki sometime in the future, apparently he likes ireland :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Raziel

I've heard of Jonathan Clements, but I didn't know who Tiffany Grant was until a few minutes ago, when I Googled her! That's a cool guest to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Pity this is on at the same time as Oxegen as I would've considered a trip up (although I'm only really holding out for Depeche Mode.)

It's from the 7th to the 9th of July 2006 according to the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yep... I'd be interested in attending this.

Let me know what you have planned Art_Wolf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 chobo

Raziel wrote:
    I've heard of Jonathan Clements, but I didn't know who Tiffany Grant was until a few minutes ago, when I Googled her! That's a cool guest to have.
    Yea me too :)
    Google... google is just crazy.. MATRIX.. o_O

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Um...when's it on, sorry?

July 7th, 8th and 9th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Eeeper

I'm going as well and would love details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 PAINLESS

yeah me n my bro and possibly a loada his mates will be goin to this
    will be cosplayin aswell hopefully as long as theyre decent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Cosine

rasa friga mig!

Can't go :(

I swap to working the end of the week in June.

Aye Im trying to get the days off also >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Both moridin and myself would be interested in going. Art_Wolf you planning on heading down early on the friday though?

Not too sure when Im heading up on Friday - will be posting all the details once we have them sorted :)

There is 10 from AMS going up and Eirtaku are organising a group also.

Note that pre-registering ends at the end of the month!

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I'll be heading up with a small group on eirtaku's behalf ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Buttermilk

I shall be coming along with the eirtaku group.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rei-chan

Suxx0rs, I wanna go...Can't though. Perhaps next year.

Yea im actually sorted for a lift now but probably good idea to get some bodies number closer to the date. Take it everyone is staying up in Derry for the weekend so can meet up in the evening for the drinking of beers ^_^

A reminder that this con is THIS WEEKEND. Sadly during my planning I went and really messed up my own calendar so I can not now make it :(

There is still a group for AMS going up along with a group from Eirtaku.

If anyone booked a place and is now unable to go, I'd take the booking in their place.

Paypal doesn't like me very much, so I wasn't able to book online.

EDIT: Well Art_Wolf was nice enough to give me his place in a scene reminiscent of the one at the end of Deep Impact where Tea Leoni gives up her seat on the helicopter.

I'll be heading down on the 6pm bus... Anyone else heading down at that stage?

• Advertisement

Do we need the tickets for the convention booked? Grrr...i figured it was a big venue and could easly get tickets at the door :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭robnubis

I Agree

Well I got back to Dublin this evening.

It was a good weekend... but pretty tiring... I'll write more about my thoughts of the thing tomorrow..

I really hated how they insisted on playing pretty much everything dubbed.

Advertisement