Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you set up your own wireless service?

• 03-12-2005 10:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

Guys,
    I live on the edge of a small country town and can get DSL broadband(currently with BT).
    I have a friend that lives about a mile away and he can't get it.There are no wireless operators in the area.
    I was wondering what would I need to have to be able to mimic a company like Digiweb/IBB and transmit a wireless signal to his house?
    Thanks
    K

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You don't need to mimic IBB or Digiweb.

Buy two old type MMDS dish (that use the separate LNB). A company in Kerry sells them.

Buy two "reverse SMA" to N-Type cable tail adaptors in Maplin.

Buy two waterproof plastic boxes (all sizes with rubber sealling gland in any electrical wholesale very cheap.

Buy two "wireless bridge" type wifi boxes. MAplin have them sometimes also sometimes PC World. Or Amazon. They have detachable aerial using reverse SMA.

Not the regular airpoint box.

These boxes often sold as "connect game consoles" etc. They will bridge Xboxes, macs, PCs, Network enabled PS/2s etc.

A "bridge" copies ALL traffic between two LANS.

You mate can plug his into a PC via a "cross over " RJ45 cable or with normal cabel into his switch or hub if he has a LAN.

YOu plug yours into your hub, switch or router as if a 2nd PC.

Set up the units to talk to each other in one house with one on Router/switch/LAN and the other "stand alone" using reverse cable direct to a PC not connect anything else. Do all the 256bit encription (shared key). Check the two PCs can ping each other.

Then put the two Wireless Bridges in plastic boxes with extension CAT5 and speaker cable for power (cut the DC adaptor cable, making sure of polarity when reconnecting. Don't feed mains to the roof.).

Put the plastic box on back of "MMDS dish" mout pole. Assemble all on ground. Glue gun the N-Connector cable tail to reverse SMA into a hole cut in box (underneath) to plug the MMDS aerial cable in. (Short fat cable that plugs to an external "LNB" box on older MMDS systems.

Make the network cable and DC low voltage power cable come out underneath hols too sealed wiith glue gun.

Some WiFi boxes can use unused pair of the CAT5 network cable as power feed, in which case the PSU plug to wires into a wall box in house to feed the cable.

If you have no access to a RJ45 CAT5 crimp tool:
    Buy a CAT5 network patch cord.
    Cut in half
    Use two blocks of four small screw terminal connectos at each end of extension cable to connect the cut ends of the patch cable. Note wires are in pairs, orange and orange/white, blue & blue/white, green& green/white and brown & brown/white.

Put a pair into adjacent connector holes.
    Keep connections short
    Match all the colours.

A cross over cable is
    Orange pair goes to green pair.
    Green pair goes to orange pair.
    Blue pair goes to brown pair
    Brown pair goes to blue pair

Colour goes to colour.
    White with colour stripe goes to White with colour stripe.

Normally a network only uses the Orange and Green pairs.

Blue pair on nornal cable is the inner two pins.
    Orange pair is at start of connector
    Green pair uses pins either side of middle two.
    Brown pair is last two pins.

(Assuming the standard layout of colours).

P.S. Range is about 5km for very good signal, maybe 9km for only just usable, gone in heavy rain!

Assumiong larger size MMDS dish.

You must have fairly nearly visible line of sight. Better than for TV, but not as good as Digweb Metro or Satellite needs.

Set speed to 5Mbit or 11Mbit. Higher speeds not as reliable, nor needed for Broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

great posts watty, im sure you've heard of irish-wan then

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Should sticky this one really - it looks very good for people living on farms / down the country where you might have office/shop in town too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭kilman

watty,
    Thanks for the time spent on the reply. I'm going to go through it in detail a little later.
    K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

If you can afford it, it would be far easier just buying two of these

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

kilman wrote:
    Guys,
    I live on the edge of a small country town and can get DSL broadband(currently with BT).
    I have a friend that lives about a mile away and he can't get it.There are no wireless operators in the area.
    I was wondering what would I need to have to be able to mimic a company like Digiweb/IBB and transmit a wireless signal to his house?
    Thanks
    K

A licence.;)

Sparky_S wrote:
    great posts watty, im sure you've heard of irish-wan then

yep. Not involved but know some of the Limerick "big guns". Not interested in Network Doom on Tues night. More or less Galway to Limerick is "on" last time I talked to any of them

Advertisement