Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Redknapp quits Southampton

• 03-12-2005 12:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭

Redknapp quits Southampton
    Sat 03 Dec, 11:27 AM

LONDON (Reuters) - Harry Redknapp has quit as manager of Southampton, club chairman Rupert Lowe told the club's Web site on Saturday.

Lowe said: "He told me that he regarded his employment with the club as being at an end and that he would deal with the necessary paperwork at the beginning of next week."
    Advertisement

Redknapp has been strongly linked with a return to Premier League club Portsmouth, who he left a year ago.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Yep just saw it on Sky, he's heading back to his "Spirtual Home" as Lowe said!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

bit of a shock,redknapps turning into a bit of weasel i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Madness!

Mike.

Anyone see the indo today, big splash about Kerr going to Fratton Park.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Redknapp is going there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

'Weasel' is right. What sort of a man walks out on any club to go back to a club where he has left under such acrimonious circumstances, on the day before a ****ing match!!!

All we can do know is pray that Clive Woodward isn't given the job, that Pompey get relegated, that we beat them twice next season and get promoted.

Honestly, I can't get over this.

First of all he told the Portsmouth fans he would never join us after leaving Fratton Park... he did.
    Then he was relegated with us...
    Then he quits and goes back to Pompey...

If I were cynical I'd say he got us relegated on purpose! Some man altogether, a rotten piece of work.

[Cue the people saying "You weren't moaning when he came to you!"]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

mike65 wrote:
    Anyone see the indo today, big splash about Kerr going to Fratton Park.

Mike.
    Not a chance.
    Heard interview with Pompy fanzine editor... interviewer was listing possible candidates.... mentioned Brian Kerr, to the reply "who?".
    Harry is a cert tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Redknapp will be given a heroes welcome back after playing a weaker team against West Brom to ensure Southampton got relegated. Scenes which disgusted me at the end of the season both set of fans celebrating

Guys, I know where 'arry is going! It just amused me to see the Indo waste 1000 words on a story thats a crock of poo!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

mike65 wrote:
    Guys, I know where 'arry is going! It just amused me to see the Indo waste 1000 words on a story thats a crock of poo!

Mike.
    ah yeah... we knew you knew.... :)
    Nowt much new with the indo :p

• Advertisement

24 November 2004: Resigns as Pompey manager
    8 December 2004: Takes over as Southampton boss
    3 December 2005: Leaves his job at Southampton

5 December 2005: Takes over as Pompey manager

I love this psychic gift I have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

cant say i'm shocked that harry is gone but still it smells of something rotten. I mean to leave pompey and then go to us and get us relegated ( i know it wasnt all his fault!) and then leave us again and head back to pompey ( probably), something aint right. Lets hope woodward isnt given the job, he hasnt got enough experience just yet. I just hope we get pompey in the FA cup at Fratton Park and we stuff them and harry. Sure we will be seeing them next season in the champiuonship anyway as Mr. Joesoap said!

Southampton Football Club wish to clarify the position regarding First Team Manager Harry Redknapp and the recent speculation regarding a return by Harry to Portsmouth Football Club.

Club Chairman Rupert Lowe set out the chronology of the last few days: “On Wednesday 30/11 I was contacted by Dennis Roach who told me that I was likely to receive a request from Portsmouth Football Club to allow them to speak to Harry about their managerial vacancy.

"It is not often that I am lost for words but I was then. Not only because this is the most extraordinary story in an extraordinary industry but because I believed Harry to be here for the long-term.

"On Thursday December 1 I spoke to Harry who told me that he had been considering his future and that he believed Portsmouth to be his “spiritual home”. Whilst I was at the Football League Divisional Meeting later that day, the Club received a written request from Portsmouth FC asking for my consent to speak to Harry.

"I did not give that consent immediately as I wanted to be sure that Harry meant what he had said given some of the comments made by himself and Mandaric not much more than a year ago.

"I spoke to Harry again on Friday 2/12 and he confirmed what he had said to me and that he wanted my consent to speak to Portsmouth.

"I had several conversations with Peter Storrie and said that as a precondition for my consent I would like to be paid the unexpired portion of Harry’s contract which is the usual convention in these circumstances.

"I was promised an answer which to date has never come.

"I spoke to Harry again late on Friday night to agree arrangements for today's important game against Burnley. Harry said that it was now impossible for him to come back to the Club and that, in his words, he had been let down. He told me that he regarded his employment with the Club as being at an end and that we would deal with the necessary paperwork at the beginning of next week.

"Accordingly I have placed Dave Bassett in charge of overall arrangements for the Burnley game and hope that he will deliver us three points.

"I make no apologies for setting out the detailed chronology above, it has been a very complicated situation which our fans deserve to understand. I keep pinching myself and expecting to wake up.

"I am sorry that Harry’s stay at St Mary’s has ended this way and on what I know would have to agree with Harry’s assessment of what has happened. This situation is not of my or Southampton Football Club’s making.

"I had hoped that Harry would lead us back to the Premiership and despite our different backgrounds and our forthright relationship, I have enjoyed working with him. I wish him, Sandra and their family every good fortune in the future.

"I find it extraordinary that Officials of Portsmouth Football Club should have made some of the public statements that they did yesterday about a Southampton Football Club employee particularly as I have had no formal conclusion to our discussions. I will be asking the Premier League to see if any breach of Rules has taken place. As far as I am concerned even if there has not been a breach of Rules there has been a breach of courtesy and basic good manners.”

Andrew Cowen, Club Director added: “Gobsmacked is too small a word. You don’t even get a plot like this in Star Wars. Looking at some of the money staked on Harry on the betting exchanges, there might be some very sore punters.”

There will be no further comment from any Club spokesman until after today's game when Chairman Rupert Lowe will attend the post match Press Conference.

Has the man no shame?

disgraceful behaviour from a man i used to respect. Lets hope we show him uo today by taking three points against burnley with ahtchet in charge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

He is making a habit of club hopping. Bad form indeed.

A couple of not-so-random Harry quotes:

'When asked if there was chance of a reconciliation and a return to the Fratton Park hot seat, Redknapp smiled and added: "No, it is time to move on. I have had my time here and enjoyed every minute of it, but the club moves on, and so will I."'

"If I said I wanted to go back I'd be crucified. That's all I need" - Harry Redknapp on returning to Southampton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Woodward has been in line to get that job for a long time, feel sorry for Arry seems to find retarded chairmen wherever he goes. A fookin rugby coach!!

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

He will start picking huge guys for his "forward pack" :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

kensutz wrote:
    Redknapp will be given a heroes welcome back after playing a weaker team against West Brom to ensure Southampton got relegated. Scenes which disgusted me at the end of the season both set of fans celebrating
    What?? Perain was in charge by then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

i am going to write santa a letter asking him to relegate pompey and to promoted southampton.

Would love to see the face of harry if that happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭BillyBoy

Being a Pompey fan I am as shocked as anyone that Harry is coming back after the way he left last time but in his defence he did have to work with Rupert Lowe and Clive, sorry, Sir Clive Woodward on a daily basis, which is tough for anybody. Have heard alot of bad things said about Mandaric and although he is plainly crazy he is better than Lowe.
    Also in my opinion he wasn't doing that good a job as Southhampton manager(12th in the league) so might turn out to be a good thing in the end for Saints fans if they get someone decent in (just read that Woodward says its too early to take the job)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

When walking out on a club is never good form, Lowe is apparently a bit of a nutcase.

While I don't have the exact figures (and would appreciate if anyone does), if I remember correctly Southamton have gone through more managers in the last ten years than anyone other English league club. And considering Southampton have only been relegated once in that time it makes you wonder.

Sure when Redknapp took over he was their fourth manager in the space of a year! And Real Madrid they are not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Very bad form on Harrys part and this is just plain ridiculous. If I was a Sothampton fan I certainly would not be a happy camper at the moment and I would be praying that Clive Woodword doesnt get the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

florin raducioiu

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭BillyBoy

bazH wrote:
    florin raducioiu

What?? Reference to the fact that Harry bought him at West Ham? Played crap for them but was still a good player.

bazH wrote:
    florin raducioiu

??

What Harry Said, Part One

From the interview with 'Arry Redknapp in this week’s edition of the Sunday Mirror:

"I made a monumental mistake walking out of Fratton Park and a day hasn't passed since I left the ground for the last time that I didn't regret my decision.

"I don't know what possessed me to leave Portsmouth in the first place. I'm an emotional man at the best of times - just ask my wife Sandra. The truth is I did have my rows with chairman Milan Mandaric but they were petty and the vast majority were my fault. I think people made far too much of it because 99 per cent of the time we had a fantastic relationship.

"The relationship between me and Clive was never going to work."

What Harry Said, Part Two

"There's no chance I'll resign" - May 1.

[After being asked if he could return to Pompey] "No, it is time to move on. I have had my time here and enjoyed every minute of it, but the club moves on, and so will I" - November 26, 2004.

"It’s so pathetic. You can't take anything he [Milan Mandaric] says too seriously can you? If you do, you'll end up in a mental home" - March 11.

"I don't know why people have to go on about it. We are finished with Portsmouth - we had good times there and now we have a job to do at Southampton. Why people have to be so screwed up in their little minds to keep coming out and making snide comments I don't know. They are making fools of themselves. Why don't they just get on with their lives? I'm not interested in what they do, I have a job to do here. We did a great job there, and I wish Portsmouth every success. Life moves on. It's pitiful really; these people are making themselves a laughing stock in football, and everyone in the game thinks so" - April 10.

"I've no regrets at all coming here, not a chance" - May 15.

"I've enjoyed my time here. It is a good club, it has always been a good club and it is full of good people. I want to stay" - May 23.

"I couldn't walk out on the club after last Sunday. I've always said this would be my last football job" - May 28.

[After reports two months ago that he was set to quit Southampton] "It's absolutely rubbish. Not a chance. These reports that I'll leave if I'm paid up - rubbish. I walked away from Portsmouth when I was on a fantastic contract because it's not about the money for me. It's not the case that I'm even thinking about it here. Not at all. I'm enjoying it here and I've got absolutely no problems" - September 23.

"Every day I look at the paper and I see there's supposed to be some conflict with me and him or the chairman. I want to put an end to it. I have no problem with Clive, we get on fine. We want to clear the air once and for all. There has not been one problem" - September 29.

"Do me a favour, I have a job at Southampton and have never been asked to go back. If I said I wanted to go back now I would be crucified. That's all I need" - November 28.

"I like to think I'm a pretty loyal guy" - 9 December, 2004.

Taken from F365 mediawatch.

pretty loyal guy, give me a break harry:mad:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/southampton/4500514.stm
    Harry Redknapp is no closer to a return to Portsmouth after Southampton turned down their initial compensation offer.

Former Pompey manager Redknapp left his job as boss of arch-rivals Southampton on Saturday and was heavily tipped to take back his old job at Fratton Park.

But Saints have refused Portsmouth's written offer and Mandaric could look elsewhere rather than raising his bid.

A statement on the club's website said: "Pompey will step up their search with plans to interview more candidates."

Southampton chairman Rupert Lowe is thought to be holding out for £220,000 - the remainder of Redknapp's contract.

Pompey have offered Saints £50,000 for Redknapp if he becomes their manager, plus a further £75,000 if the Premiership club avoid relegation.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Its only right that Saints should hold out for the full £220k because its ridiculous that a manager can just quit and then join another club so soon.

I would actually be delighted if Portsmouth gave the job to someone else as Harry really has let Saints down big time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I heard a hot tip that Harry will be the next Ireland manager.

I know the guy I heard it from has a good friend who works in the FAI, and who gets us tickets for all the matches. He however declined to let me know if this is where the info is from.

Well he now ISN'T going to Portsmouth apparently, which in my biased opinion makes him look like a complete fool.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Well he now ISN'T going to Portsmouth apparently, which in my biased opinion makes him look like a complete fool.

I agree totally and have to say im delighted he has been made to look like a fool:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

MrJoeSoap wrote:

Not too sure about this. Was watching your on sky sports last night and they said alot of this was just playing around and they said Harry would be at Pompey by the end of the week if not by this evening and this was from people in the "know". Also the Jorno phono had the same story and said it was more or 95% sure that Harry would be at Pompey

Mandaric Rules Out Redknapp return

http://news.google.ie/url?sa=t&ct=us/0-1&fp=4395130ebce301d9&ei=S3WVQ4KjFJCk6AHP3bn2Ag&url=http%3A//www.channel4.com/news/content/news-storypage.jsp%3Fid%3D826493&cid=1102750193

Saints reject Pompey offer, Mandaric turns to Sanchez

http://news.google.ie/url?sa=t&ct=us/0-2&fp=4395130ebce301d9&ei=S3WVQ4KjFJCk6AHP3bn2Ag&url=http%3A//today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx%3Ftype%3DfootballNews%26storyID%3DURI%3Aurn%3Anewsml%3Areuters.com%3A20051205%3AMTFH49710_2005-12-05_16-37-33_L05191515%3A1&cid=1102750193

Now obviously I'm not taking anything for granted, I won't believe anything in soccer anymore until it is signed, sealed and delivered, but all media info points towards Mandaric moving on from pursuing Redknapp.

I did find this paragraph interesting though:
    Of course this could be part of a negotiation process, as Portsmouth attempt to call Rupert Lowe’s bluff. Redknapp has already stated that he will not return to Southampton and it seems unlikely that he will take another job in the short-term away from Fratton Park. Already he has talked about taking a six month break from the game. Redknapp is not going anywhere and so, it could be argued, Portsmouth can take their time negotiating a settlement. Talking to other candidates would place greater pressure on Southampton to take what money they can get for their want-away manager. With 4 weeks until the transfer window opens and Harry can work his magic, a short delay while a lower settlement is negotiated may be seen as worthwhile. Indeed, the money saved could be put towards player purchases in the January transfer window and though small, could make the difference.

• Advertisement

Well going by Sky Sports this is what you mentioned in the extract there. Pompoey are trying to call SOuthamptons bluff. They had it Kednapp would be in the job and they where certain. They all seems to know as well about it. Interesting they had Sanchez for the job at Southampton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Well pompey are set to hold a press conference at 5 to officially announce that Harry Redknapp is the new Portsmouth manager.

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=332296&cpid=8&CLID=&lid=4161&title=Pompey+call+press+conference&channel=skysports_home_page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Harry the new manager.
    skysports wrote:
    Harry Redknapp has officially been confirmed as Portsmouth's new manager.

At a press conference at Fratton Park, Redknapp was unveiled before the media, completing one of the most remarkable football turnarounds in recent years.

Redknapp quit Portsmouth last season after a much publicised fall-out with chairman Milan Mandaric, took over at Southampton, where he never really settled at St Mary's and failed to prevent them from sliding out of The Premiership.

Having quit Southampton on Saturday, after hearing of Portsmouth's interest in securing his services, Redknapp was initially caught in no-mans' land at the beginning of the week after the two clubs failed to agree a suitable compensation package.

However, further talks between Mandaric and his Saints counterpart Rupert Lowe did broker a deal satisfactory for both parties and Redknapp will now take his place in the Pompey dugout on Saturday, against West Brom.

Redknapp will not be fondly remembered on the red side of the South Coast but it remains to be seen what reception he will receive on the blue side at the weekend.

It has been confirmed that Redknapp has signed a deal until the end of the season, where the situation will then be reviewed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I have lost respect for Harry.

Milan Mandaric on 5th December:

" And when asked if Redknapp was still on the list of potential managers, Mandaric replied "no". "

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote:
    Not too sure about this. Was watching your on sky sports last night and they said alot of this was just playing around and they said Harry would be at Pompey by the end of the week if not by this evening and this was from people in the "know". Also the Jorno phono had the same story and said it was more or 95% sure that Harry would be at Pompey

Was thinking the info was good. Dont really care much about where harry goes. Will have the same prob at Pompey as he had at Saints. No strikers!

hope they go down;)

Cpuld just be bitterness from me though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

According to Des Cahill this morning, more money has been placed on Harry R to become Portsmouth manager than all other soccer bets this year.

Betfair said they received three times the value of bets on this than they did for the Grand National.

Something smells

According to Des Cahill this morning, more money has been placed on Harry R to become Portsmouth manager than all other soccer bets this year.

Betfair said they received three times the value of bets on this than they did for the Grand National.

Something smells

There are reports that the FA are looking into this because it sound dodgy

i read somewhere earlier on today that £16m was taken on harry becoming the pompey gaffer ( cant remember where) .Something definitly doesnt sound right. Lets just hope tht rupert lowe had a couple of million on it and we can get a decent striker out of it:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I don't think there's any doubt that Madriac has put a few million on Betfair. One minute he couldn't afford Redknapp and he has ruled him out of the job, the next there's over £10m getting thrown on Redknapp. £15m of the £16m bet on the next Pompey manager on Betfair was placed on Redknapp.

Advertisement