Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do eircom charge me 39.99 for 1Mb Broadband?

• 03-12-2005 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

Did a search but can't find the answer. Tried calliing 1901 but they're fn useless.

Just wondering why I'm being charged 39.99 a month when my friend is charged 29.99 a month for the same 1Mb service?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

once you go over the year, it goes upto the "real price" €39.99. Are you a customer for over a year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Gaz25

I'm with Eircom and get charged €39.99 for 512KB so your not doing to bad. I thought the startup package was 1MB, but im to lazy to ring the f**ks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭morlan

Hah! What a scam. I joined back in March when the price was 39.99.

It just seems that Eircom ar so expensive. Do you know if they'll be upgrading their speeds any time soon? Seems that some other providers are upgrading.

Gaz25 wrote:
    I'm with Eircom and get charged €39.99 for 512KB so your not doing to bad. I thought the startup package was 1MB, but im to lazy to ring the f**ks.

I though 512 was long gone. Shouldn't you have been upgraded to 1Mb? That's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stackeye

morlan wrote:
    I though 512 was long gone. Shouldn't you have been upgraded to 1Mb? That's ridiculous.

It is long gone, He has to be on the 1meg line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

morlan wrote:
    Do you know if they'll be upgrading their speeds any time soon? Seems that some other providers are upgrading.

January.

No Im deffo on it, i e-mailed there tech support who confirmed im only 512KB and i checked the satus page of the router and it shows connecting at 512KB.

Im going to ring the f**kers and complain so if im being told one thing and i see another.

Gaz25 wrote:
    No Im deffo on it, i e-mailed there tech support who confirmed im only 512KB and i checked the satus page of the router and it shows connecting at 512KB.

Im going to ring the f**kers and complain so if im being told one thing and i see another.

Try and get a refund for the amount of time you've been on 512. Say you've been complaining for months and nothing has been done. Write a letter and also complain to comreg and Phil nolan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

morlan wrote:
    Did a search but can't find the answer. Tried calliing 1901 but they're fn useless.

Just wondering why I'm being charged 39.99 a month when my friend is charged 29.99 a month for the same 1Mb service?

Because they can. Get NTL. 3 Megs - €45.:eek:

I'll ring them on monday, im not happy if this is the case. I have heard Eircom are running 5M trials but i dont know if or when they are going to upgrade.

But im not sure if i believe thsi either for 5MB trials.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Gaz25 wrote:
    I'll ring them on monday, im not happy if this is the case. I have heard Eircom are running 5M trials but i dont know if or when they are going to upgrade.

But im not sure if i believe thsi either for 5MB trials.

Please remember that these 5Mb upgrades are only for current 4Mbit customers who pay around €200incl. VAT for the pleasure.
    5Mbit is their high end corporate solution and will not be a home package for years!

Jayus, thats just rubbish so. I knew it was to good to be true. I hate all this were running 5MB trial service blah, blah crap.

What do you expect its eircom for f**k's sake!!!!

As I said above, at best it will be 2007, before 5Mbit will be available at a reasonable price trough eircom lines!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

It isn't only the corporate line getting the upgrade though, all of their products are going up a speed grade.

1m/128 -> 2m/256
    2m/128 -> 2m/384
    4m/256 -> 5m/512

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

The simple answer to the original question
    morlan wrote:
    Why do eircom charge me 39.99 for 1Mb Broadband?
    is
    People are still willing to pay it!
    Even at €29.99 plus line rental they're still too dear.
    The same product with a bigger cap from BT is €40 including line rental.
    Shop around and don't be afraid to change provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stackeye

Gaz25 wrote:

Its got to be the quality of your line, how far are you from the exchange?, the only reason you would connect at 512 is either down to interferance in the house or the line is pure ****e,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Stackeye is right,however Eircom will no nothing unless the 512k connection drops below their guaranteed minimum for that package which is 256k

It isn't only the corporate line getting the upgrade though, all of their products are going up a speed grade.

1m/128 -> 2m/256
    2m/128 -> 2m/384
    4m/256 -> 5m/512

I understand that.

The new speeds are:
    Current -> New!
    1m/128 -> 2m/256
    2m/128 -> 3m/384
    3m/256 -> 4m/384
    4m/256 -> 5m/512

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Gaz25 wrote:

ADSL is rate adaptive - it will try to give you 1Mb, but of your line is not good enough it will drop the speeds to that to which it can sync with....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Why is anyone in Ireland still buying products from Eircom? The only way they'll cop on to themselves is when everyone switches to one of the many other providers, for broadband or telephone.

From what I understand, all of Eircom's wholesale re-sellers charge less then Eircom for the exact same service. So why on earth would you buy it from Eircom? Same for the phone service. Switch to Smart, Tele2, UTV, BT or one of the many others and the same thing for less money. When everyone's so interested in Rip-off Ireland, it's amazing how many of us like being shafted by Eircom on a monthly basis.

Rant over, feel a bit better now.
    And if you were with BT you'd pay only €40 a month for broadband and line rental. If you can get Smart then you'll pay just €35 a month for both. The question is, why are you still paying Eircom?

• Advertisement

jor el wrote:
    Why is anyone in Ireland still buying products from Eircom? The only way they'll cop on to themselves is when everyone switches to one of the many other providers, for broadband or telephone.

From what I understand, all of Eircom's wholesale re-sellers charge less then Eircom for the exact same service. So why on earth would you buy it from Eircom? Same for the phone service. Switch to Smart, Tele2, UTV, BT or one of the many others and the same thing for less money. When everyone's so interested in Rip-off Ireland, it's amazing how many of us like being shafted by Eircom on a monthly basis.

And if you were with BT you'd pay only €40 a month for broadband and line rental. If you can get Smart then you'll pay just €35 a month for both. The question is, why are you still paying Eircom?

As a 2Mb BT user I undesrstand your aggo with the vast majority of people who use eircom for their broadband.

jor el wrote:

Answer is simple - eircom = big marketing budget - you must remember most of the population (sadly) dont read boards....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

jor el wrote:

because not all of eircom's rivals distribute their products all over the country. ntl have one of the best packages in the country but only see fit to sell it in waterford, cork, dublin & galway. same with magnet and digiweb's metro service. smart wont be near me for years (newbridge co.kildare). all i ever here about ibb and utv on the boards is abuse. same with clearwire. BT is the best package but their billing dept. sucks from what i hear. so kind of stuck with eircom. i'd get rid of eircom straight away for smart, ntl or magnet but they either aren't coming near my area or its going to be along time before they do by which time adsl will be long obsolete.

ghost26ie wrote:
    because not all of eircom's rivals distribute their products all over the country. ntl have one of the best packages in the country but only see fit to sell it in waterford, cork, dublin & galway. same with magnet and digiweb's metro service. smart wont be near me for years (newbridge co.kildare). all i ever here about ibb and utv on the boards is abuse. same with clearwire. BT is the best package but their billing dept. sucks from what i hear. so kind of stuck with eircom. i'd get rid of eircom straight away for smart, ntl or magnet but they either aren't coming near my area or its going to be along time before they do by which time adsl will be long obsolete.

You are right...and wrong....

NTL rely on Coax cable (same as TV...by the way, not in cork) to deliver broadband, not standard telephone lines....Metro requires a base station (or several) to be built in an area to provide service as it is wireless.

Magnet and smart are going down the local loop unbundling route so it is a slow rollout and subject to the same rules of physics based on copper wire, distance etc.

There are loads of people who offer DSL where eircom do - Digiweb, BT, netsource etc but for some reason people prefer to pay more to eircom - still I suppose people can make an informed choice now and more competition is better. As I said eircom have the big marketing budget!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

ghost26ie wrote:
    because not all of eircom's rivals distribute their products all over the country.
    But all the Eircom re-sellers do. So if you have Eircom, you can have any of these too.
    BT is the best package but their billing dept. sucks from what i hear. so kind of stuck with eircom.
    True, but I'd still give them a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

parents recently transfered their phone back to BT with getting BB from them. but they never booked the broadband part of the deal. had to phone them up to find it out. my only problem with eircom is their price and small cap. the line has always been stable. the only real times if lost connection was because some tools out on the road widening scheme between dublin and naas one friday dug up the phone line or fibre optic cable which meant i had no BB for one day. the same day some dickheads dug up the phone lines while trying to break into chadwicks in naas, obviously tryin to take out the alarms. outside of that i've never had a problem caused by them. have been think of goin to digiweb 2mb package.

Advertisement