Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ah! I can't decide!!

Options
  • 03-12-2005 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭

What shall I get for Christmas?
    My 1st choice was a 360 but without pre-ordering it I doubt thats gonna happen. Prolly for the best though cos I don't particularly like being ripped off.

Now it has come down to either a PSP or a DS. And I haven't got a clue which to pick. This is where you guys come in, which should I get?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Well, what sort of handheld games do you normally like to play?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

SofaKing wrote:
    Well, what sort of handheld games do you normally like to play?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Dunno, but I'm fairly open to all games though RPG's in particular. Hence the PSP stands out as I can get ROMS on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Hmmm, not too sure about RPGs , but id imagine the better ones or the more choice are on the DS.

And theyre releasing an updated version of Final Fantasy 6 on the DS pretty soon, which looks fantastic.

And Xenosaga 1+2 will be on DS soon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

PSP: Street Fighter Alpha 3 , Viewtiful Joe, Mega Man, Burnout Revenge, Loco Rocoo, TokoBot etc etc

DS : Super Mario Bros 3, [also has viewtiful joe and burnout 3 [ew]], Princess Peach, New Pokemon Series, Final Fantasy backlog, Zelda backlog [possible future game], Meteroid Prime.

i have a psp though but i want DS for SuperMario bros 3

• Advertisement

Will the DS not be awkward for me to use as I'm a lefty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

No, infact some games, Meteos for one, let you select what hand you use and adjust the game accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

Slurms wrote:
    What shall I get for Christmas?
    My 1st choice was a 360 but without pre-ordering it I doubt thats gonna happen. Prolly for the best though cos I don't particularly like being ripped off.

Now it has come down to either a PSP or a DS. And I haven't got a clue which to pick. This is where you guys come in, which should I get?

DS has better games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

Placebo wrote:
    PSP: Street Fighter Alpha 3 , Viewtiful Joe, Mega Man, Burnout Revenge, Loco Rocoo, TokoBot etc etc

DS : Super Mario Bros 3, [also has viewtiful joe and burnout 3 [ew]], Princess Peach, New Pokemon Series, Final Fantasy backlog, Zelda backlog [possible future game], Meteroid Prime.

i have a psp though but i want DS for SuperMario bros 3

you forgot Advance wars on DS

What RPG's are out on both consoles and are they worth getting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

u can get mario kart on the ds now and its great fun :) i love the Battle Mode almost worth getting for mario kart and advance wars alone but then the psp has the likes of gta etc...
    its your choice :D

I love Mario Kart!! Though I dont have Wi-Fi on my comp. Is there any like adaptor I can buy to make my PC a hotspot?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

im sure i saw one before made by nintendo but id say any wifi router will do the job bout 60ish on komplett

Ah, bit steep :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

USB wireless dongle will do the job.

Cheap enough think Nintendo have their own one out too.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    USB wireless dongle will do the job.

Cheap enough think Nintendo have their own one out too.

kdjac
    Cheers, thats better. :D

Here's Nintendo's official one.

Jesus that one aboove is 40 quid, should get one cheaper than that assuming its just 802.11b

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=305053&cks=SPC
    well 30 but you get them free with routers :confused:
    kdjac

Well they are cheaper, yes, but Nintendo's is made specificaly for the DS and so is probbably easier to use with it. Some dongles may not be compatible also. It's worth looking into further, I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I haven't owned a DS but my mate had one and traded it in for a PSP. He reckons the PSP is much better and he's glad he made the decision.

PSP has some great games like Pro Evolution Soccer, Liberty City Stories, Wipeout Fusion and will soon have the Lord of the Rings RPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Each to their own really, I have a DS and I really like it. Wouldn't mind a PSP too, but I'm in no great rush to get it. Though Lumines is freaking sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I'd recommend either. Check out which games both have and see which ones suit you better. There is no flat-out better one between the two, it's up to preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Aye, let the games decide. Saying that I have both and have probably played my DS more.

I've made a decision. I'll get the PSP for Christmas, my reasoning: The PSP will be a pressie, and if I want the DS later it isn't too much to fork out.

Now what are the must have titles?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Lumines is a fantastic game, you'll lose days to this baby.

GTA:LS is also quite good, I didn't like the controls on the PSP but its a solid game.

To play GTA wont I have to use the latest firmware? Which means no roms :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Yeah but you can downgrade first then upgrade to play GTA then downgrade again, but i cant be bothered so havent tried GTA, am i missing out ?
    theyre trying to downgrade 1.5 --> 1.00 , apparently u can get all codecs etc then so all games that require 2.5+ will work

KdjaC wrote:
    Jesus that one aboove is 40 quid, should get one cheaper than that assuming its just 802.11b

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=305053&cks=SPC
    well 30 but you get them free with routers :confused:
    kdjac
    So if I plugged that into my USB port my PSP (when I get it) will be able to play online? Cos I only have a normal Netopia Cayman modem.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I have both but only got a PSP recently. Have to say I'm a bit disappointed with the PSP. I find the DS has a better selection of better games. However there is the emulation side of the PSP to consider. There aren't many decent RPGs out at the moment for either handheld. The DS has Lunar Dragon Song but the game it is an update of isn't all that great so I'm not sure about that one. FF4 and FF3 are being remade for the DS. Mario and Luigi PArtners in Time is fantastic. Also there are some great GBA RPGs available such as the original Mario and Luigi, Golden Sun 1+2, and both Fire Emblem games. The PSP has a 'Tales of' game which I'm looking forward to and a few other RPGs in the works that look rather nice. To be honest I'd get a DS with a few games since the PSP with a mem card is very expensive at the moment. At least wait for the excellent value Giga pack that is available now in America. Get a PSP if you are interested in the emulation side of things. There are plenty of great old games that would suit portable play on the PSP.

Advertisement