Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crouch Off the Mark!!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Because everybody else has let it lie whereas you have once again said in this thread - post here - http://www.pie.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50484332&postcount=47 - that there are too many liverpool threads, something whcih I have since debunked with no response from you or anybody else who has said this.

In this instance BTW i was just backing up this post - http://www.pie.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50483534&postcount=43 why dont you attack them. And won't somebody please think of the children.

There are countless examples of Liverpool being dragged into threads that have nothing to do with them. Remember the John O'Shea thread which turned into a discussion about the Liverpool team?

Or even the Carling Cup thread Wednesday night? They were brought into the discussion regarding Blackburn's performance for no reason at all.

I have no problem with Liverpool being discussed. I do have a problem however with them being dragged into threads that have nothing to do with them.

And I have a problem with you constantly saying I criticise Liverpool when I don't. As pointed out, I'm not here most of the time too. I can't bring up Blackburn on the other hand without you jumping in with some comment to provoke a response. Two posters even noticed this at the start of this thread and I'm sure many others have to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Why do you continue to ignore the fact that firstly it wasn't a Carling Cup thread it was a games that are played tonight thread (Liverpool played that night believe it or not) and it was YOUR BROTHER who brought up whether liverpool would beat blackburn or not. Your Brother, not me take it up with him. You have conveniently forgotten that a number of times in this very thread it has been mentioned that YOUR BROTHER suggested that liverpool would lose to blackburn in that comp, there is a link to it too in this thread, I responded, as is my wont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Why dont the two of ye just setup your own thread and have this out once and for all. I am getting tired of opening up threads in the last day or two and just seeing a perfectly formed thread descending into a literary of quotes taken from each others comments. Sort it out once and for all, as it is growing tiresome as this stage having to scroll through what each of you are talking about.

The word I think you are looking for is litany, and thanks for your input.

l
    litany

thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

ban the both of them! :v:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

If I was a moderator, I'd ban the pair of you. I've never seen so much shlte talk...

Just out of curiosity Leb, what whould you ban the pair of us for ? There is a charter at the top of the forum, pull some specifics for me, I am sick and tired of people here telling me and that I cannot have an opinion and pursue it because I am a mod, a mod is just like a steward at a football match, you can chat to them, and it can become heated but as long as you do not break the rules they will not throw you out of the ground. There are rules in place and I am in breach of none of them, neither is lemlin or anybody else on this thread or many of the other threads in which we partake and are quite entitled to partake of. That we have argued something to the point of boredom does not merit a ban (I know, i wrote the charter). That is possibly why you are not a mod or would not make a good mod, you do not just get to ban people because you do not like what they say else after every game that liverpool managed to lose there would be a spate of bannings as I would not be happy that peeps were talking about it and talla would ban alot of people for slating Man U.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Roddy23 wrote:
    Why dont the two of ye just setup your own thread and have this out once and for all. I am getting tired of opening up threads in the last day or two and just seeing a perfectly formed thread descending into a literary of quotes taken from each others comments. Sort it out once and for all, as it is growing tiresome as this stage having to scroll through what each of you are talking about.

It's a discussion forum , how can you have a discussion in print format without Quoting the points you are replying to etc. Whats a perfectly formed thread in your opinion. Is it all one liners that you dont have to use your brain to read and digest?

Liverpool and United are bound to feature here more than the others simply because there are more Liverpool and United supporters here. I dont see any bias with their representation on the forum. When Liverpool were under achieveing fans of other clubs had a field day slagging them , now that they are performing better we just have to put up with the pool fans voicing their opinions.

What I want to know is where are all the Arsenal fans gone? The place was absolutly crawling with them a year or so ago but now there are very few Arsenal related threads. I suppose we'll have to wait for Arsenal to start winning things again before they return. Hopefully we'll have a long wait:p

• Advertisement

Muppet i'm not going to be dragged down to the way this thread has been going. But I will give my opinion on what I percieve to be a perfectly formed thread, A perfectly formed thread is one that actually refers to soccer. not one that is like a constant conveyor belt of "you said that's". I seriously think we are getting away from the thread here. It is supposed to be about crouch, and yet we have people on here constantly linking to other threads that have nothing to do with Crouch.
    Back to the thread so.
    Crouch was for me man of the match, and do you thik he will be able to have the same sort of impact against chelsea on tuesday as he did against Wigan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Just out of curiosity Leb, what whould you ban the pair of us for ? <snip>

Not a banning offence, but...
    Off topic posts will be edited, closed or moved to the Recycle Bin without warning.

;)

I'll second your sentiments though, you're as entitled to an opinion on this forum as any other poster. Why the hell everyone brings up "but he's a moderator" I'll never know.

Anyone who has a problem with the number of threads on Liverpool should get a life. You want to discuss something else? This is your man. Use it, don't whinge when you don't and others do (to your dismay)

I've had my own "you said/no you said" pissing contest with Lemlin in the past, but as long as posters stay within the rules then whose business is it but theirs?

And on-topic...didn't see all the Pool match yesterday (pre-match drinking to be done, anti-Gooner songs to be sung) but from what I saw Crouch had a good game. Having a laugh if he's still trying to claim that goal, but took his real one well, and I was impressed by his lay off to Gerrard for the chance in between the two goals. I still don't think much of him as a player, but he was signed to do a specific job by Rafa, and he appears to be fulfilling that role.

I would have to say yes, I was at the game yesterday (as I am at most home games) and I have been keeping an eye on Crouch for a while, I do not know if they showed any of his touches but he put Gerrard in for a great chance just after his goal and he holds the ball up well. Was unluck not to get a pen too, Henchoz (who had his old song sang back to him and a massive round of applause given) had to hold him down any number of times. Crouch does as Rafa says give us a little bit extra. He allows us to hoof it clear when we need but is still able to hold it up and allow the idfield and attack to join up. I can see the pool being beaten on Tuesday but I do think that Crouch will at least make it tough for Terry and co who did not have an easy time yest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Roddy23 wrote:
    Muppet i'm not going to be dragged down to the way this thread has been going. But I will give my opinion on what I percieve to be a perfectly formed thread, A perfectly formed thread is one that actually refers to soccer. not one that is like a constant conveyor belt of "you said that's". I seriously think we are getting away from the thread here. It is supposed to be about crouch, and yet we have people on here constantly linking to other threads that have nothing to do with Crouch.
    Back to the thread so.
    Crouch was for me man of the match, and do you thik he will be able to have the same sort of impact against chelsea on tuesday as he did against Wigan.

I see your point on the off topic stuff but I do't see how you can discuss anything with another user without first quoting their point you are replying to. I find those threds more interesting than the one liners but I agree as they go on they can get a bit repetative. It's the nature of opposing football fans to banter off one another ,, I don't see it as a problem once it remains civil. Most discussion broaden as they go on I certainly don't think that should be bannable as was suggested and supported by some in this thread.

I'll leave it at that so the thread can get back on topic . The Prolific Crouch.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

el rabitos wrote:
    jaysus man. dont go back too many years there or u might ruin ur whole arguement, *cough* 18 league titles *cough*

i reckon united had a good 10 years there at the top, a good opportunity to take over from liverpool's european and domestic records, and it looks like they missed they're shot tbh
    You're quoting the wrong guy, it's his arguement. I was just wondering how he could call United mediocre in comparison to Liverpool when Liverpool haven't been consistantly better in recent seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

Im delighted for crouch, he played really well.Thanx for the fish ,was gerrard that bad in the match yesterday, he only got a 5 in the news of the world rag paper.

Lemlin cop on to yourself, thanx for the fish is sound and doesnt have a vendetta against you or your brother. He like alot of liverpool fans here are passionate supporters and have supported them all their lifes me included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Galwaydude, gerrard was one of the best players on the pitch yesterday, i guess because he didnt score he "was quiet". I read that too, absolute horse crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

galwaydude wrote:
    Im delighted for crouch, he played really well.Thanx for the fish ,was gerrard that bad in the match yesterday, he only got a 5 in the news of the world rag paper.

Lemlin cop on to yourself, thanx for the fish is sound and doesnt have a vendetta against you or your brother. He like alot of liverpool fans here are passionate supporters and have supported them all their lifes me included.

Are you serious ? Gerrard was the best player on the pitch. On Sky sports, he was named man of the match, on the premiership (rte) they said he was the most important player AND on match of the day they named him man of the match too... Whoever gave him a five deserves to be shot. He almost scored two or three times and gave loads of inch perfect long passes.

He did try to over complicate things sometimes, instead of doing what he is better at, there were three or four occasions where he had the chance to pull the trigger but tried to walk it into the goal. Having said that he did not play badly, he was about his usual self which is perhaps why he only got a five, saw some of MOTD this morning and they were highlighting how good he was. Did you see the run he made for crouch's first. He was at the edge of his own box when Crouch picked it up and he was away and on the goal line by the time the goal went past the keeper. He had some nice touches too and made a 40 yard crossfield pass at onestage right onto the toe of the player, think it was Kewell that, that he was going for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

He did try to over complicate things sometimes, instead of doing what he is better at, there were three or four occasions where he had the chance to pull the trigger but tried to walk it into the goal.
    To be honest, having watched the game on TV I think he was right not to shoot on most of those occassions as there was a load of players in his way and it would just be blocked. It can infuriate me to see him get his shots charged down when it is so obvious that there is no way through.

Is trying to run the ball straight through everyone a better idea? Who knows?

As regards Crouch, great to see him get his first goals. I've no doubt there will be more to come. He's been playing great the last few weeks, and really offers something that Liverpool havn't had for years. His ability to hold up the ball really takes the pressure off the defence, as well as bringing all the midfielders into the games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

jesus this is the most self-serving thread i've ever read, the point of the arguments have been compleatly lost. this topic was a 5-10 post topic at best not a 4pager, "peter crouch finially of the mark" how we got tho where we did is beond me, i'm all for progression of topic, (ie.see the shamrock rovers thread) but this is decended into a personal assault. this thread should be locked,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

I saw the highlights and gerrard was great, both sunday papers said he was quite and gave him a low rating, i don know what match they were watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I've had my own "you said/no you said" pissing contest with Lemlin in the past, but as long as posters stay within the rules then whose business is it but theirs?
    As have dozens of others across more than one forum. He has a remarkable skill of being able to annoy people, getting under their skin.

Crouch's first goal must be the highlight of the season so far in entertainment terms. One of the funniest goals ever - considering the circumstances. He has had a lot of bad luck, so maybe he deserved his slice of good fortune - although it looks like it won't be given to him after all. It has to be said though his second goal was a very good finish. Be interesting to see now whether it makes a difference to his future performances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Away for weekend! am I causing trouble on here without even posting?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

A great finish for the first goal :D

Hopefully that will get him up and running now! I wonder if he would have finished the second one if he had not "scored" the first?

blu_sonic wrote:
    jesus this is the most self-serving thread i've ever read, the point of the arguments have been compleatly lost. this topic was a 5-10 post topic at best not a 4pager, "peter crouch finially of the mark" how we got tho where we did is beond me, i'm all for progression of topic, (ie.see the shamrock rovers thread) but this is decended into a personal assault. this thread should be locked,

You are using the Shamrock rovers thread as an example of how a thread that progressing :rolleyes: The one where you got into a verbal with everybody else on the thread and swore blind that events that are well documented by both the press and eye witnesses did not occur. Where you continually rebutted points made by others with the same poste essentially again and again. Where fans point fingers about the thuggish element of the oppos teams repeatedly. Hardly a beacon in the night is it blu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Originally posted by The Rooster
    As have dozens of others across more than one forum. He has a remarkable skill of being able to annoy people, getting under their skin.

I suggest you leave disagreements I had with you regarding the Dublin GAA team exactly where they belong, on the GAA forum.

The recklessone was mentioning a discussion myself and him had regarding Blackburn. We both made our points and he has since told me that his opinion of Blackburn has changed which I am happy to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Even though I'm not a Liverpool supporter, I was delighted to see Crouch finally get his first goal for them at the w/e, I think everybody with any interest in football must have been hoping he'd score soon.
    Interesting to see if he can take off from here and score a goal every game or two - personally I think he will, but I thought the same about Forlan at Utd :rolleyes: .

As much as it pains me to say it, I like looking at Liverpool playing at the minute, they seem to be playing interesting football (plus there is the side event of Crouchwatch - still trying to figure him out).

OT: Reading this thread was painful at times with the carry on of Lemlin and Thanx 4 The Fish - as someone else posted earlier start a new thread if you want to biker at each other, don't derail what should have been a good read with your personal crap...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Lemlin wrote:

The recklessone was mentioning a discussion myself and him had regarding Blackburn. We both made our points and he has since told me that his opinion of Blackburn has changed which I am happy to see.

Either a slight misreading, or a slight misrepresentation, of the facts*.

Opinion has stayed pretty constant, I said on day one of the season that Blackburn were a solid side with a good manager in Hughes, but they were a few seasons away (and a number of signings) from challenging for European football. I did say later that Blackburn are playing good ball under Hughes (and the performance against ManYoo backs that up). My opinion of certain individuals certainly hasn't changed.

Not looking to reignite the debate Lemlin, but if you feel strongly enough PM me and we'll continue it there, this thread certainly ain't the place for it.

*didn't correct your impression on the thread you got your idea from because I didn't fancy reopening that can of worms. Apologies for any confusion caused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Was gonna give another "keep it on topic if possible speech" to add to the others but obviously that would be completely counter productive, and in fairness, it has calmed down with the last page or so to returning to topic.

On Topic;
    Firstly, by the letter of the law, as dodgy and crazy and hilarious as the opener was, i think it might actually, technically be crouch's! The basic law is if the striker shoots on target and the ball goes into the net, its a goal. It was his shot that started it and so he gets credit. The fact there were 2 big deflections muddies things, but if we take them individually its clearer. If it was an open goal, (keeper had gone away for some reason) and crouch shoots on target, hits defender, it flies into air and then lands squarely into empty goal, its his goal. we see deflections given every week, regardless how big, once ball goes into the net from being on target. Now the second one. Keeper slightly off line, striker tries an audacious lob (definately on target) and the keeper makes a haims of it. Strikers goal. Put the 2 together and why should anything be different? Thats my opinion anyway. For god's sake, rooney got his goal given in euro's when it hit the post, came back out, bounced off the keeper and went back in - now thats an og imo.

Another interesting question is, if the first one never happened, would crouch have had the comfidence and composure to score the 2nd chance? obviously could argue that one till the cows come home, but i for one am very thankful for those deflections for the first!

Finally just congrats to crouchy, here's hoping he'll go on a run and bag a few more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

You are using the Shamrock rovers thread as an example of how a thread that progressing :rolleyes: The one where you got into a verbal with everybody else on the thread and swore blind that events that are well documented by both the press and eye witnesses did not occur. Where you continually rebutted points made by others with the same poste essentially again and again. Where fans point fingers about the thuggish element of the oppos teams repeatedly. Hardly a beacon in the night is it blu.

alhough it never stryed into a "i said, you said" "this post, that post" it stuck soley to the issues of shamrock rovers (albeit a progession of the initial post) and their fans, kdjac and i never degraged into personal insult posting, one upmanship that peppers this thread. it lost all relation to liverpool and peter crouch, pity that this seems to happen in most liverpool related threads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Was gonna give another "keep it on topic if possible speech" to add to the others but obviously that would be completely counter productive, and in fairness, it has calmed down with the last page or so to returning to topic.

On Topic;
    Firstly, by the letter of the law, as dodgy and crazy and hilarious as the opener was, i think it might actually, technically be crouch's! The basic law is if the striker shoots on target and the ball goes into the net, its a goal. It was his shot that started it and so he gets credit. The fact there were 2 big deflections muddies things, but if we take them individually its clearer. If it was an open goal, (keeper had gone away for some reason) and crouch shoots on target, hits defender, it flies into air and then lands squarely into empty goal, its his goal. we see deflections given every week, regardless how big, once ball goes into the net from being on target. Now the second one. Keeper slightly off line, striker tries an audacious lob (definately on target) and the keeper makes a haims of it. Strikers goal. Put the 2 together and why should anything be different? Thats my opinion anyway. For god's sake, rooney got his goal given in euro's when it hit the post, came back out, bounced off the keeper and went back in - now thats an og imo.

Another interesting question is, if the first one never happened, would crouch have had the comfidence and composure to score the 2nd chance? obviously could argue that one till the cows come home, but i for one am very thankful for those deflections for the first!

Finally just congrats to crouchy, here's hoping he'll go on a run and bag a few more!

I agree. V.well put.

Advertisement