Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best car for dogs cross-ref

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Like it, but it's a bit huge, and a tiny bit old (1992).

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

If i were you, and im not! id go for a VW Golf mk2 or 3 from the early 90s onwards, loads of room and reliable car! a €1000 should get you a mint condition one. My sister has two smelly labs and she drives a golf mk3 (as do i) and theres loads of room in there for them two smelly idiots. Don't get me wrong i love dogs but labs while protective and loyal are a little on the light side when it comes to brains. I once seen one of them running to jump into the booth of the car but forgot to jump and ran straight into the tail pipe,:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I have dog's and I bought a BMW 530 diesel touring a few years ago and it was ideal. You can buy a plastic boot liner from BMW that fits in the boot and the touring has a fold up dog guard/ luggage cover in the back, all this with airconditioning which the dogs loved and a diesel engine which was great on fuel and a flyer to go. I'd highly recommend one anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

If you can spring for a 530d Touring, you probably won't find a better all-rounder. Make sure it has a very full service history, though.

We have a Škoda Octavia Estate and regularly carry 4 labradors in it without issue. That's just in the boot -the remainder of the car is dog free, except for the pong. If you can, go for a tdi model - there's a useful amount of lugging ability. The petrol is fine, but a little thirsty (28mpg av around city) and just doesn't have the grunt of the diesel. Our car has been absolutely faultless for 62000 miles. Same advice on the service history.

What is your budget?

If your annual mileage is not high and you have the will for it, you should look at a classic estate car. Some ideas:
    eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4593928785&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting
    DSCN0675.jpg
    1310_Breteler-25TRiBreak.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭damo605

My dog travels around in the boot of my Renault Safrane (Have multi-fit barrier installed behind the back seats and the parcel shelfs removed) and it works out very well - it's a big car with a big boot so it's okay for her, an 18 month old red setter/golden retriever cross. With the slant of the hatchback glass she sits fairly close to the barrier so in an accident/ sudden stop she won't get thrown very far which is important.
    Easily buy a Safrane for a grand but if it's an estate you're after, with a budget of €1k and wanting something newer than '92 I'd suggest a Peugeot 406 Estate - Your money might buy a '96 example....

Advertisement