Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wi-Fi appliances!

• 03-12-2005 2:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭

This thread is pretty trivial but I was just thinking why some everyday household appliances aren't equipped withn wi-fi!! Maybe some are but i reckon the price is the main factor. But having said that it would be pretty cool to have a wi-fi kettle or toaster that you could turn on from your couch! Lazy I know but interesting! Automatic curtains or lights or electric blankets could all be controlled centrally! Wardivers would have alot of fun though messing with your house but could be a new use for wi-fi!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Meh, Bluetooth would be better in this case, IMO. Of course, the problem with half the systems you mention is that the application lends itself better to a manual system, given that you would have to put bread in the toaster and water in the kettle :) The electric blanket would be sweet though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

ya ok bluetooth then just something to control them from a distance. Well thats true but you would probably get used to filling up the kettle and toaster just after you've used it so that u just press the button to get it going. Still though I dont know how long you should leave bread hanging around in a toaster before it goes stale. Ah well, we can dream!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

You can get wifi stereo's can't you (so you can stream music to them wirelessly?).
    There wouldn't be too many truely useful wireless devices (or bluetooth), maybe an electric blanket, heaters or emersion switches.
    The idea of texting plugs to switch lights on (say if you're not in the house and want people to think you are) is a nice idea, might be nice to be able to do it by email too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

X10 is another alternitive :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm x10 is godly

• Advertisement
Advertisement