Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Welcome Screen on Windows XP

• 03-12-2005 2:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭

How do I stop this appearing when I turn on my PC? I only have one user profile, is there any way to make it automatically use that one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

turn off your password or delete the .net account

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Display Properties -> Screensaver -> Uncheck "On resume, display Welcome screen".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Lump Basher

Display Properties -> Screensaver -> Uncheck "On resume, display Welcome screen".
    He said when he "turns on" his PC, not when he resumes using windows.

Here is the REAL answer:
    go to "CONTROL PANEL" > go to "USER ACCOUNTS" > click "Change The Way Users Log On or Off" > untick "Use The Welcome Screen".....DONE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

He said when he "turns on" his PC, not when he resumes using windows.
    Whoops, misread...
    the REAL answer
    Ooh, hark at you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Thanks Lump basher. The welcome screen was a pain in the ass.

• Advertisement

Well I've turned off the welcome screen, but it still asks me to log in, before windows starts up.
    Is there any way, I can turn on my computer, go off for a few minutes and come back with windows all loaded and ready to use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I've asked this before and was told the same things which didn't work. I was then told to get tweak UI, I wasn't sure where to get it or if it was the same as tweak XP, then the thread died and I never found out:P I had tweak XP before to get rid of the recycle bin on desktop but not sure where I got it from. You can do it with one of the above, not sure which, not sure if they are the same thing either.

Well my old pc with windows Xp used just load straight up. I don't know why this doesn't.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Not sure if AutoLogon on www.sysinternals.com works with XP home

or get xp powertoys and in tweakui there is an option to autologon

(if you logout you get an option to logon as another user )

I think it only happens after you install service pack 1/2??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

http://www.tweaks.com/
    Tweak can set this up so that when you switch on the machine it wutomatically uses your account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Use method 1 on the following site;
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

thanks SickBoy, does anyone know where I would put this code?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel

it's to get rid of the recycle bin but it wont do anything in the run command and I'm baffled as to where else to put it in:confused: got it off tweaks.com

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

run regedit
    if you make a mistake in there it can kill windows such that even a reinstall may fail - so make a system restore snapshot - in accessories.

Now I just gotta restart, anything goes wrong and I'll hunt you down Captn!! haha. I created restore point anyway so you may be ok;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,023 ✭✭✭✭Basq

What are the bets that's the last we'll see of cormie for a while?! :D

cormie wrote:

Now I just gotta restart, anything goes wrong and I'll hunt you down Captn!! haha. I created restore point anyway so you may be ok;)
    - no fair, I'm just the messanger bearing the bad news

I've posted before that the reg is a copy protection tool, it serves no other useful purpose that a load of ini files couldn't ( even in win95 the files in the inf folder could be compiled into a dB by the OS )

rats should have said run ntbackup and save system state - so then you'd have 0.5 of a chance when it came to reinstalling

Ok, well I'm back;)

careful though, I got a big fright when it automatically logged me in to the Admin account which looked like a fresh install, thought I messed sumthin up, I just logged out and put in this accounts UN/PW and logged back in, everything ok, recycle bin gone off desktop:)

Can I delete that Admin account or is it essential?

Advertisement